PDA

View Full Version : K2500 (4x4) Front Brake Rotors wont come off

zz4guy
01-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I took the calipers and the 26mm nut off the hub and pushed the cv joint back into its recess as far as it goes, but now what? The rotor wont come off. Does it need some more hammer power? Or is there some more bolts that have to come off?

The truck is a 1992 K2500 4wd.

SiteSolutions
01-12-2008, 08:02 PM
I've seen rotors held on with phillips head screws... maybe look at the middle part of the rotor? Or maybe the bearings are seized onto the spindle?

04superduty
01-12-2008, 08:29 PM
are the rotors part of the spindle? if they are seperate you will need some penetrating fluid, a hammer, and possibly some heat.

lawnman456
01-12-2008, 09:30 PM
man i had this problem on my truck. i know it's something stupid but i can't think of what we did to get them off. good luck if you have to take the back drums off. i had to take the axles out just to get the drums off.

crossboneracing
01-13-2008, 05:55 PM
If its not a slip on rotor you will need to pound out the studs to get the rotor off, and as I recall there is 4 bolts that hold the entire hub assembly on to the spindle in the back of the case where the bearing is. This is a PIA job. Picture it like taking the rotor off an older solid axle chevy where the whole assembly needs to come off and the studs pounded out. Use new studs too and make sure they seat all the way. Hope this helped.

zz4guy
01-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Guys - I got the rotor out and am putting the new one on now. There is grease in the hub area where the CV comes thru. Do I need to pack a lot of grease in there or do anything special? The manual doesnt say anything about packing it. Thanks.

SiteSolutions
01-13-2008, 09:54 PM
So what was it? Just stuck, or extra bolts?

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 10:23 PM
So what was it? Just stuck, or extra bolts?

Or did it have clips on the studs holding the rotors in place?

zz4guy
01-14-2008, 12:08 PM
It's impossible to remove the rotor w/o removing the hub first. The front of the hub goes OVER the rotor holding it in place. So you must take out the 4 bolts behind the steering knuckle. Be very careful taking these out. Mine were rusted and I stripped a head on one. Luckily I was able to buy a bolt head gripper set and get it out. These bolts have more than 100lbft of torque so they are a lot of fun to remove when rusted.

Next I had to pound the wheel studs out of the rotor/hub assembly. Then you have to seperate the hub from the rotor since it's usually seized. This takes a BFH and a rod to push the hub away from the rotor.

Man what a project. And I though DRUM brakes were a PITA!!! :cry:

grass_cuttin_fool
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Dang that almost sounds like a job for a brake shop.....quess Ive got soft or lazy lol

wayne