PDA

View Full Version : first clients

lawnranger44
10-24-2001, 09:14 PM
If you don't know already, I'm new to the business. I just sent out flyers last week and I'm starting to get the calls! I gave out one estimate and I have been asked to give several more. When giving my estimate for mowing, I thought of a question. What should the additional cost be for bagging? My estimate for this lady's lawn was $30. I was thinking about adding like 15% of the normal mowing price to get the bagging price. What do you guys do?

ChadsLawn
10-24-2001, 09:21 PM
$2.00 per bag..$1.00 for bag $1.00 for labor..That how I do it for leaves..I dont bag grass, never have never will..

Chad

lawnboy82
10-24-2001, 09:26 PM
I would like to interject something here. If the price you are giving includes a fert package make sure you adjust for the lack of N being supplied by the clippings as they decompose back into the soil.

MATTHEW
10-24-2001, 09:42 PM
I used to charge $2.00 but went to $3.00. The size of the bag may be an issue. My toro is a good size bag. After 4 days of rain in the spring, I often find myself cutting off 3" of grass and you make quite a mess trying to mulch that much (especially K. blue)
You should also consider where you will dump and how much time/money it will take to dump a full load.

65hoss
10-24-2001, 09:49 PM
I don't bag grass, but when I did have some in the past that thought it must be done, I added $10 to the regular cutting price.

kutnkru
10-24-2001, 11:03 PM
I know of guys who charge a flat fee of $5 additional.

There are some who keep track of how long the properties normally take and then add a surcharge based on hourly rates.

Others charge on a pro-rata basis according to how many bags are removed with a 3 bag minimum.

Hope this helps.
Kris

little green guy
10-25-2001, 12:27 AM
I double the price, if they don't like that they can find someone else. So far I don't anything.

MOW ED
10-25-2001, 09:08 AM
I can adjust the N and the deck height but if I get caught with a rainy spell then I have to bag. I usually charge about 25% above the unbagged cut. I can dump for free but only during certain days and hours so I have discouraged the bag and remove clients from this. Some of my clients have a compost site on the property which is nice but I still charge the additional 25% above for the service. This is one of many reasons why having a Walker really makes me money.