PDA

View Full Version : trailer paint

grassman21
01-13-2008, 11:20 AM
wanting to touch up paint on a grey 12 foot h&h trailer where it had been chipped off and now has formed rust, any suggestions as to how i would go about doing this?

thanks

br549oicu8
01-13-2008, 07:51 PM
Matching the paint will be a tough one!

atv220chris
01-13-2008, 08:43 PM
just get some spray paint cans and sand down the whole thing and just re paint it don't sand it down to the bare metal just sand it i am going to use a spray on bed liner on my trailer so i never have to worry about this stuff again :weightlifter:

mike lane lawn care
01-13-2008, 09:11 PM
I am re-painting my 2 year old carry on trailer, like 3 cans worth of tractor spray paint makes it look dam good.

Jason Rose
01-13-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm needing to re-paint mine as well... It's a little bigger though, 20 footer! It has about 6 or so layers of paint on it already... Some of it is flaking off, and sanding won't do a thing to help that. I can pressure wash it and get some of it off, but it still looks like ass after I paint it... I need to call around and find out what it will cost to just have it sand (or media) blasted. Not 100% everything, but just the topside.

I just can't decide what color to paint it! Black is sooo hot in the summer, but it matches the truck bed.

man of stihl
01-14-2008, 10:02 PM
mine are up on stands right now. in the process of repainting the metal and restaining the wood. got the metal all stripped down. flap wheel and wire wheel does the trick. just takes time. cleaned, pressure washed and sanded the wood with 40, 80, 150 grit paper. just finished up the trailers tonite. just gotta repaint the gates, racks, and boxes now. and gota throw the stain/waterproofing on the wood..

oh ya i used rustoleum professional safety red paint, gloss black, and aluminum. its all rolled or brushed because it goes on alot thicker than spray. they have 3 coats on them. the stain is olympic deck stain with waterproofer.. its a semi-transparent redwood naturaltone.. its looks damn good:weightlifter:

atv220chris
01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
am i the only one that is going to use herculiner i am surpised it is good stuff and gas dose not take it off

Jason Rose
01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
I think the problem with bed liner stuff is that the sufaces need an insane amount of prep work prior to application. All the small tight corners on most trailers would make that a real PITA... Plus, unless you have it professionally done, like rino, or linex, they usually end up peeling off, and aren't much more than paint with some sand in it.

Man of Stihl: I'll tell you what, you must be a very meticilous person! There's no way I have the patientce to even think about trying to totally strip down my trailer myself! Let along giving it 3 coats of paint with a brush, and then sanding and finishing the wood deck! That's insane! I'm sure it will be awesome when you are done... But I usually use a air sprayer on the end of a hose, and everything gets turned the same color, wood and all, lol!

GravelyGuy
01-14-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm needing to re-paint mine as well... It's a little bigger though, 20 footer! It has about 6 or so layers of paint on it already... Some of it is flaking off, and sanding won't do a thing to help that. I can pressure wash it and get some of it off, but it still looks like ass after I paint it... I need to call around and find out what it will cost to just have it sand (or media) blasted. Not 100% everything, but just the topside.

I just can't decide what color to paint it! Black is sooo hot in the summer, but it matches the truck bed.

If you have a good size air compressor you can do it your self. I sandblasted my old 7x10 trailer down to almost bare metal before I repainted it. My sandblaster was like $10.

atv220chris
01-14-2008, 10:21 PM
ya it is a pain if you roll it on but i have a sprayer from harbor fraght for like 20 bucks and it worked good and i just blasted it with a sand blaster and that then mixed some sand with my gravle drive way but what the hell i dont care

Jason Rose
01-14-2008, 10:55 PM
If you have a good size air compressor you can do it your self. I sandblasted my old 7x10 trailer down to almost bare metal before I repainted it. My sandblaster was like $10.

$10??? I've found the Clarke ones here at TSC for around $100. But that's about the least... I've never blasted before, dont' have a clue how slow or fast it is. I was told that it's a really slow process, and that you "should" get the hood protector thing to wear... My compressor may do ok, if not I have a friend just a couple houses away that has a BIG one. Still, for that price I might be able to just have it done at a shop. Still haven't called around...

GravelyGuy
01-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah, you really do want to have a mask. I tried socks over my head and everything else until I found one that didn't cost an arm and a leg:laugh: My blaster is nothing fancy, but it works fine for light use.

It does not have a thing to hold the media, sand etc, there is a hose that comes off the end of a gun that you put into a bag or bucket of your stuff and it draws it up the hose. You have to be able to move the bag around with you which is inconvenient, but that's what you get for $10.

I got mine from a store called HDC if you have one locally. I'll look for a link.

GravelyGuy
01-14-2008, 11:20 PM
Here you go man, beleive it or not, it works. I'm sure it's probably not even close to as fast as the bigger machines though. I've never used one of the commmercial ones.

http://www.homier.com/detail.asp?SessionKey=XI4YaC2iy2NzZr%2bhUFNLRV23ehXw06KkTKI%2bnzM5fgV93ms3mliG%2b%2bpHYPUWmlvZItU%2b FEur%2fVio&dpt=&cat=&sku=03127

grassman21
01-18-2008, 10:46 AM
just finished the trailer last night, went to the local paint store and got this paint that was made to cover rust, no sanding needed. I planned to just do some touch up with it but i got going, ended up sanding paint off the whole trailer and painting the whole thing, looks great for four hours of work

man of stihl
01-18-2008, 03:08 PM
ya. i always have to be busy. i get home from school around 3:30 so i find things to do. my equipment is very well taken care of and i guess im very meticulous about some things. i will tell you what tho. im gonna have the nicest looking trailers in town.:weightlifter:

B&M
01-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I repainted our trailer last year, went with rustoleum it has held up pretty good.http://www.lawnsite.com/images/smilies/sport-smiley-003.gif
:weightlifter: