PDA

View Full Version : Add your tips on getting extra MPG. We could all use it.

WHIPPLE5.7
01-13-2008, 10:51 AM
I run electric fans, leaner peramiters on a handheld tuner, enough if not alittle extra tire pressure, cold air intake, and free flowing exhaust. With these mods I have picked quite a bit more power and went from 12 MPG to 16 MPG on a 1996 3/4 ton Chevy. If anyone else has some fuel saving ideas please tell.

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 11:52 AM
I run electric fans, leaner peramiters on a handheld tuner, enough if not alittle extra tire pressure, cold air intake, and free flowing exhaust. With these mods I have picked quite a bit more power and went from 12 MPG to 16 MPG on a 1996 3/4 ton Chevy. If anyone else has some fuel saving ideas please tell.

Change oils to synthetic multi grades. And I hope that is loaded MPG.

NBI Lawn
01-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Change oils to synthetic multi grades. And I hope that is loaded MPG.

X2 on the synthetic fluids, though you may a long time see your saving at the fuel pump. To upgrade to all synthetics can be expensive. Might pick up 1/2 mpg, but its better for the truck so...

16mpg out of 3/4 ton chev is really good unloaded. Cant imagine it gets that good loaded.

Best advise, keep your foot out of it. Its not a race, take your time getting up to speed.

davis45
01-13-2008, 12:56 PM
We put a throttle body spacer on our Chevy 6.0 motor and we noticed a small MPG increase.

Foz
01-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Biggest change most of us can make using gas or diesel trucks is slower starts when loaded. Let the truck & tranny do the work, don't "jack rabbit" start because you are in a hurry.

With the diesels, if you can keep your RPM to 2,000 or less you will see a 1 to 1.5 mile per gallon increase. Diesel trucks are inefficient at higher RPM ranges

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 03:09 PM
X2 on the synthetic fluids, though you may a long time see your saving at the fuel pump. To upgrade to all synthetics can be expensive. Might pick up 1/2 mpg, but its better for the truck so...

16mpg out of 3/4 ton chev is really good unloaded. Cant imagine it gets that good loaded.

Best advise, keep your foot out of it. Its not a race, take your time getting up to speed.
What would you say to a 1 ton hauling more than a ton in the bed getting 13-14 MPG in the mountains at 65/70 MPH with an 8.1L/496? And yes, that isn't a fluke. It regularly gets that kind of mileage on the highway. It likely would get even better if I ran Premium in it But not much from past experience.

As far as keeping the foot out of it, I agree within reason. You have to balance out how long it takes to get to speed vs how long you will stay in a lower gear. Up to 35 MPH most vehicles won't go into high gear if it has an OD tranny. 1 to 1 will kill your mileage if the vehicle has the OD available. Point at where the peak torque of the engine is, is where you want to go thru the gears at. Should be about 2500-3000 RPM in the lower gears depending on the engine.

Also add keeping it tuned to the list of ways to get better MPG.

TheLandyman
01-13-2008, 03:14 PM
how about tune ups, cap, rotor, plugs, wires, tire pressure, lube. pick up a manual for your vehicle and go through the maintenance section.

Valk
01-13-2008, 03:52 PM
In-town cruising with an eye toward less braking is effective (and free)...no hurries when your loaded! :D

Accelerating or re-accelerating a mass requires added force...more fuel.

Dang, I remember gas for $.29/gallon...oh my.

TheLandyman
01-13-2008, 04:06 PM
also another one i just thought of, Seafoam you can use it for just about any engine, even your 2/4 stroke equipment, mowers, weed eaters, etc. i use it in all my vehicles and i noticed about a 2mpg increase in my 93 ford with a 351, i get about 13-14 mpg towing with 195k miles on it. also a lot more throttle response and it defiantly runs a lot smoother.

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Biggest change most of us can make using gas or diesel trucks is slower starts when loaded. Let the truck & tranny do the work, don't "jack rabbit" start because you are in a hurry.

With the diesels, if you can keep your RPM to 2,000 or less you will see a 1 to 1.5 mile per gallon increase. Diesel trucks are inefficient at higher RPM ranges

Yep. About 90 percent of rated HP is the point where it starts dropping. ( Need to find my Diesel engineering course book :( ). So if peak HP is at 3100 RPM, you never would want to hit that point to get the best out of it. That's why the tranny was set to shift at about 2500 with the 6.6 DM. Also at 100/kmh the 2001 DM was right at 1800 RPM. Smack on its peak torque point.

And in high gear on an Allison 5 speed, that 3100 RPM is getting you close to the tailshaft RPM limit of 4600 RPM. And no, you don't want to know how fast that really is. Besides, the speedo won't register that high. :D

GravelyNut
01-13-2008, 04:41 PM
In-town cruising with an eye toward less braking is effective (and free)...no hurries when your loaded! :D

Accelerating or re-accelerating a mass requires added force...more fuel.

Dang, I remember gas for $.29/gallon...oh my.
Your age is telling! :D I remember $0.25/gallon. Gas war!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also remember the gas crunch of 73 and 79. :(

lyube
01-13-2008, 04:55 PM
Drive 55, use synthetic, use Lucas Mystery oil, Keep your tires aired up, dump unnecesary weight, keep high drag items covered...no fast driving...

AmsoilPower
01-13-2008, 09:44 PM
I suggest Amsoil products. You will maximize your mpg when using the engine oil, air filter and tranny fluid that runs 50 degrees cooler than regular ATF all in conjunction w/ one another. I can provide more details if needed.

meador56
01-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I've been told that the fuel milage on the 8.1 GM is better or the same as GM 6.0 and power is nice. I've heard this from nearly all of the 8.1 owners.

GravelyNut
01-14-2008, 07:11 AM
I've been told that the fuel milage on the 8.1 GM is better or the same as GM 6.0 and power is nice. I've heard this from nearly all of the 8.1 owners.
Running light, the 6.0 wins in MPG. Running loaded, the 8.1 gets as good or better MPG. The difference is that while they both are rated at nearly the same HP, the 8.1 has way more torque to get the load moving. And getting up thru the gears faster can save fuel. Or as some owners of both have put it about the two: Same cra**y gas mileage, but the 8.1 has some guts. I don't concider 13 or 14 with the 8.1 all that bad. I've driven 350 equipted vans that only got 10 mpg.

Travel'n Trees
01-14-2008, 08:46 PM
Msd ignition, not jacobs or accell, better wires, and cap. Headers, lighter wheels, underdrive pulleys, Synthetic your choice not mine. (too many problems) Leaning a motor not good, but bigger throttle body with the spacer. watch gearing Homemade forced induction o2 sensors, high flow cats. Lower the truck (less drag) big one camper shells if possible. Electric water pump, 160 thermostat. Free mass air mod de screen and port slightly and check coolant by pass mod(if possibe)

Travel'n Trees
01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Fiberglass hood. Lighter carpet. Less weight. I am working on a 1987 super duty dump truck right now in the off season. I expect a easy 14 mpg. Hoping for 16. It is a 5 speed truck. When we got the truck it got 6.25 loaded.

CleanCutMowers
01-15-2008, 01:21 AM
http://www.tornadoair.com/

Just installed this today. Should help.

Travel'n Trees
01-15-2008, 03:16 AM
I have heard mixed results. Like the throttle body spacers.

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 03:24 AM
Last week someone started a thread about adding acetone to gasoline. I thought it sounded like a load of bunk. I asked a mechanic friend about it. He swore up and down by it! He quoted various studies showing 30% increases in fuel efficiency from adding just a little acetone to the fuel tank, 1 fluid ounce per ten gallons.
Google it, many respectable entities have done tests and confirmed increases of 15-35%.

I am worried about it causing damage way down the road. I'm going to try it in my '92 chev 2500 with the old 350.

zz4guy
01-15-2008, 10:03 AM
If you guys are driving highway miles make the truck stay in lockup as much as possible. I saved 1-2 mpg on a 600 mile trip because I turned off the cruise and maximized my time in OD lockup.

GravelyNut
01-15-2008, 10:20 AM
If you guys are driving highway miles make the truck stay in lockup as much as possible. I saved 1-2 mpg on a 600 mile trip because I turned off the cruise and maximized my time in OD lockup.

That was one of the points about the large V-8 comparisons that Truck Trends did back in 2001. The Chevy dually with the 8.1 was the only one pulling the grade with 10000 lb trailer in tow that stayed in high gear. Mine stays there even with cruise on, on most grades.

barefeetny
01-15-2008, 09:07 PM
this was touched but i'd like to expand.

i run a box truck
its real easy to throw everything you might need onto the truck

it gets heavy quickly and milage go's from bad to ill

plan your route so that you only need a certain amount of equitment for the day. leave the walkbehind leaf blower at home during the summer

i'm sure the small open trailer guys know what i'm talking about.

make sure the tires are inflated properly (huge)
draft big rigs
freewheel down long steep grades (kidding sorta)
don't let the truck idle all day
buy a stick shift and pay attention to your road speed
don't race hondas off the line
cut the polution controls off the truck(really kidding this time)
learn to coast towards red lights and waiting for them to change rather then braking and accelrating hard

zMaster225
01-15-2008, 09:49 PM
Pack up and move the business to Venezuela. $.18 a gallon. Don't forget your machete though.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
01-19-2008, 07:14 PM
I wonder what kind of improvements I could do to my Isuzu cabover with it's chevy 6.0 gas engine in it. If I could rechip it for better MPG.....