PDA

View Full Version : Z turn Jumping the starter?

sicnj
01-13-2008, 10:27 PM
i am having a problem with my Z i can't start via the key. the key needs to be on, but i have to hit the selenoid with a wrench to start it. Im sure this could be a couple of things, just wondering where i should start my search.

mowermankevin
01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
i am having a problem with my Z i can't start via the key. the key needs to be on, but i have to hit the selenoid with a wrench to start it. Im sure this could be a couple of things, just wondering where i should start my search.

Sounds like the starter or solenoid is old or full of dirt,are you jumping the battery to solenoid wire, or just tapping on the solenoid with the wrench? If it's a Kohler engine these starters are notorious for filling up with dirt because there open around the bendix(starter gear) The only choice is to pull the starter, take it apart, clean and lube it or buy a new one(not cheap)

GravelyNut
01-14-2008, 02:58 PM
What make mower?

Bill Kapaun
01-14-2008, 06:38 PM
Fuse is usually the best place to start.

Jason Pallas
01-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Start by checking to see that you've got power at the starter (with a test light or multi-meter).

Turf Dawg
01-15-2008, 02:11 AM
My 223 ghopper did the same thing this year. It was the solenoid. Man the thing was higher than the whole starter on a truck. By the way mine is a kohler and it takes a special socket to get the solenoid off.

ffemt1271
01-15-2008, 01:47 PM
my exmark w/kohler does that, usually it is the seat switch out of alignment.

Ridin' Around
01-15-2008, 09:30 PM
Sounds like the starter or solenoid is old or full of dirt,are you jumping the battery to solenoid wire, or just tapping on the solenoid with the wrench? If it's a Kohler engine these starters are notorious for filling up with dirt because there open around the bendix(starter gear) The only choice is to pull the starter, take it apart, clean and lube it or buy a new one(not cheap)

Whoa Whoa Whoa... don't just throw parts at it!

Start by checking to see that you've got power at the starter (with a test light or multi-meter).

Now we're on the right track, Electrical is not a mystery! Start at the Battery with a voltage check, then proceed to the key switch - do you have 12 volts goin in? Then it should come out from the start terminal. Then that same 12 volts should be at the solenoid. Remember most have safety switches in the mix, brake, seat, neutral (sticks have to be out) and possibly a tilt (mercury) switch. Some of these are running + positive voltage others work through the ground. Check all of you ground connections. A digital multi-meter is worth its weight in gold, a light can't tell you 8 volts versus 10 like a meter. Calm down and be rational - maybe save yourself that $100 + dollars you were gonna throw at a starter!

Turf Dawg
01-17-2008, 02:40 AM
If you have to beat the solenoid with a wrench to get it to engauge, I don,t think a safety switch check will matter.

pclawncare
01-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Once you tap the starter solenoid can you turn the key to the off position and then start the motor?

ed2hess
01-18-2008, 10:27 PM
Whoa Whoa Whoa... don't just throw parts at it!

Now we're on the right track, Electrical is not a mystery! Start at the Battery with a voltage check, then proceed to the key switch - do you have 12 volts goin in? Then it should come out from the start terminal. Then that same 12 volts should be at the solenoid. Remember most have safety switches in the mix, brake, seat, neutral (sticks have to be out) and possibly a tilt (mercury) switch. Some of these are running + positive voltage others work through the ground. Check all of you ground connections. A digital multi-meter is worth its weight in gold, a light can't tell you 8 volts versus 10 like a meter. Calm down and be rational - maybe save yourself that $100 + dollars you were gonna throw at a starter!
I am going to "butt" in to ask a question.....I guess on Kohler you can't short voltage with screwdriver directly onto the starter windings and get it to start? Because the solenoid won't pick(if it is gummed up) and the gear won't be in ring gear? ON Kaw the old screwdriver short across works.

pclawncare
01-19-2008, 12:39 AM
It works on my walker 16hp kohler it works just fine a few sparks and she fires right up

sicnj
01-21-2008, 02:06 AM
sorry eveybody thanks for the help lost track of this thread. its a Kawi motor 17 horse. the starter works, it starts, i just need to jump the selenoid. I think its one of those safety relays. the adjustable deck fell bc the pin wasn't in very strange. so my worker hit the blade engage button quickly then shut mower down when he tried to restart, (nothing) i couldn't believe it. i don't know how to check those safety relays. i guess i would have to jump each one to find out which one it is.