PDA

View Full Version : What's the project Bobcat worth?

tallrick
01-14-2008, 01:29 AM
I have located a late 80's or early 90's Bobcat 843. It's rough looking but seems to have a good hydraulic system Engine is an isuzu and is apart, but seems rebuildable. It was running and in use before the engine overheated and blew the head gasket. It's a project, but I am seriously thinking of buying and rebuilding it to take the place of my M-610. It had attatchments but they have been sold. I looked in the hydraulic filter and the oil was very clean. Bucket is in excellent shape. Radiator was rebuilt and the alternator looks new. Does anyone have any ideas of what it may be worth?

ksss
01-14-2008, 01:55 AM
I would base what your willing to pay on what the cost of a new or rebuilt engine may cost. I find it unusual that it would be as simple as a headgasket on that engine. There very well maybe other damage besides the headgasket. So unless you are very sure of the extent damage I would plan on having to put a new/rebuilt engine in it. I don't know what that would cost or really what that machine would be worth in its present condition. I would guess that in good condition would be worth 8-10K. Unless you get it real cheap there may not be a lot of room for repairs before you spend the same or more than you would for one that all ready runs. You may find an engine for a couple K in a bone yard. I am sure you will spend near that in parts for the current engine as parts for Duetz engines are not cheap. It would be worth investigating before you commit to a price. If those numbers hold true, you would not want to pay more than 4-5K for the machine. Your total investment would be 6-7K and you really cant be sure what else may be wrong until it is running.

tallrick
01-14-2008, 02:14 AM
So a price below 2K is a good starting point? I have not measured the parts from the engine yet, but it was dissassembled and the block cleaned, the crank looks good, no spun bearings. Changing the engine seems like a good option anyway. I was figuring that the machine was worth 5-6K in really good shape, maybe 4k in running but high hours. !/2 that is where my price point would be.

ksss
01-14-2008, 02:26 AM
So a price below 2K is a good starting point? I have not measured the parts from the engine yet, but it was dissassembled and the block cleaned, the crank looks good, no spun bearings. Changing the engine seems like a good option anyway. I was figuring that the machine was worth 5-6K in really good shape, maybe 4k in running but high hours. !/2 that is where my price point would be.

It will bring more than 5-6K in good shape. The older Bobcats hold their value well. Still if you think 2K would buy it that would be all the better for you. That would allow you more room money wise to make improvements.

tallrick
01-20-2008, 12:59 AM
Well it's mine now. Looks like I will be having a good project on my hands.

ksss
01-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Well it's mine now. Looks like I will be having a good project on my hands.

How much did you have to spend?