PDA

View Full Version : Leaf vac engine swap

EJK2352
10-24-2001, 11:12 PM
I have a leaf loader w/ an 11 hp. engine. I found a replacement engine but the crankshaft is 3/8" longer than the original engine.
Has anybody ever cut down a crank to make an engine fit. If so how did you cut it?? A friend said to just fire up the engine and hold a hacksaw on the crank where it needs cut.:) ;) :) ED

Robert Doubrava
10-24-2001, 11:29 PM
im sure a cuttin' torch wont work well. it may be messy. id buy a different engine that has the same crankshaft length, instead of cutting the crank shaft to make it fit. what kind of engine is on it?

Richard Martin
10-25-2001, 06:05 AM
EJK2352 wrote:
Has anybody ever cut down a crank to make an engine fit. If so how did you cut it?? A friend said to just fire up the engine and hold a hacksaw on the crank where it needs cut.

I just used a cut-off disk in my hand grinder the last time I did it. :D :D :D

Any good machine shop should be able to do this if you remove the crank first.

justractors
10-25-2001, 07:56 AM
The two considerations here are pretty basic.
One do not overheat it while cutting. Use a hacksaw and a pocket full of patience. No cutting torches and if you use a grinding disc be slow at it.
Two bevel the end of the crank when you are finished to make pulley installation easier.
You may also have to drill and tap the end of the crank to retain the pulley. If so drill a smaller hole (1/4") prior to cutting off the crank. This will make easier to center since most cranks have a center mark from when they were originally turned.
Take your time and be precise but it is not hard to do and the results will be more than adequate.
Bill

captdevo
10-25-2001, 08:32 AM
Are you sure you even have to cut it?

3/8" isn't much , you should be able to adjust the engine mount enough to take up some of that.

I wouldn't cut on a new crank...

khouse
10-26-2001, 12:07 AM
I have cut one crank off about 1 inch by using a Sawzall very slowly. Then I ran the engine at idle and cleaned it up with my hand held grinder. Then I finished off with a bastard file. ( This is the last resort!). If it's a vertical engine can't you just add some washers between the engine and mount? If it's a horizontal engine can you drill out the mounting holes large enough to slide the engine back 3/8 inch?

EJK2352
10-28-2001, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. I took the old engine off and mounted the new one up. I ended up not having to cut the crank, there was enough clearance inside the housing with the extra 3/8" crank length. The old engine was a Briggs 11 I/C and the replacement is a 13 hp. Kohler Command. I used it for the first time today and that Kohler sure has alot more power than the Briggs did. I got a great deal on the engine too. I bought it from Ray Padgetts Small Engine Warehouse for $550 w/ electric start.