PDA

View Full Version : Mr 11 ...

Mike M
01-14-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm still new, but I've gotten away from taking the MR 11 seriously. Maybe a few special applications, but none I could think of. I was looking at a typical home with some uplighting in the backyard: corroded Vista aluminum lights, the lights come on during the day and not always at night, and a planter on the patio with an MR 11 fixture in it.

It just made me wonder if MR 11's are a sign of an amateur? Not always, but like typically. Similar to fancy path lights. I have been concetrating on studying and developing whole illuminated environments and system durability, and it just seems like the 11 is more of a tiny consumer novelty with hardly a place in a larger scene. In some childish way, I want to run around and stomp on them and hear them crunch like cockroaches.

JoeyD
01-14-2008, 07:33 PM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/POLARIS.htm

heres a good MR 11 fixture. Debate the lamps but this fixture is solid.

Mike M
01-14-2008, 08:03 PM
You know where I think those would be cool--in a japanese rock garden, or other smaller urban gardens, where there is confined space. Definately inside an eclosed porch area among plants or in an atrium. But only a scene with 11's, not mixed mr 16's.

I guess I just don't like the sizes mixed together. Kind of like a model railroad platform with multiple scale trains. I guess I'm just nutz. ;)

Now I have myself interested in doing a bonzai collection illuminated with MR 8's. That would be freakin cool.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-14-2008, 09:39 PM
I am pretty much with you there Mike. I have installed maybe 10 MR11 fixtures to date. They have performed very well and I dont have any complaints, but I just don't have that many applications where saving 5/8 of an inch in lamp diameter is an important thing.

As a backgrounder, for those of you who did not already know this. Lamps are measured in 1/8's of an inch in diameter. So a MR16 is a Mirrored Reflector 16/8ths in diameterm (2 inches). a PAR30 is a Parabolic Reflector, 30/8ths in diameter, MR11 is Mirrored Reflector 11/8ths in dia. and so on.

I can see the advantages to the MR8 fixtures if you really need to be discreet but I have not used any of these to date. For most of my applications a 2" dia (16/8ths) is just fine.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
01-15-2008, 11:43 AM
They work out great for small planter pots as well and can be discretely hidden for certain down lighting situations. We have a side mount version of the Northstar that will be available in a few months. The Northstar is the downlight version of the Polaris BTW.

Pro-Scapes
01-15-2008, 07:18 PM
crap someone just told mike about the mr8.... this is opening a whole new can of worms now.

Mike they can be real snazzy in tight situations. I think I need to get 2 of thoes northstars for our deck at the house to downlight some small palms in the corners. Like others I have had only a hair of situations where they can be useful. With some Mr16 fixtures out there of quality you can usually find one to get the job done. It is important that you become familiar with them tho so you know whats out there because you never know when there might just be a job around the corner that could really be set off by one.

Right now I got cast nichlights on em and its just a bit too dim.

Mike M
01-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Billy, small lights are for small jobs!!! :laugh:

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 08:13 PM
a large project is usually a simple blend of smaller projects all seemlessly blended together. dont forget that if your ever intimidated by a really large job.

Even a large project will have areas that consist of small detailed things to be lit