PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Grinding

dmk395
10-25-2001, 12:34 AM
For those into leaf grinding, how long do you grind leaves for? To you grind them till they dont fall anymore, or is there a point where you do a standard fall cleanup?

Flex-Deck
10-25-2001, 01:05 AM
Just double blade, mow with the discharge in (gator on top and what ever you want on bottom) (see double blade forum) and at the end of the day take care of the last small windrow you have by raising your deck and hitting it one more time and the leaves are gone. What Happened to them? Who cares?

Eric ELM
10-25-2001, 01:17 AM
We grind them up usually until the snow falls. We blow out the beds real good the last time we figure we will be doing the lawn and mulch the leaves up.

65hoss
10-25-2001, 01:44 AM
I'll grind them until end november,then the ultra vac will go on until spring cleanups are done. Around here I will do leaves from now until March. Not much snow or down time.

65hoss
10-25-2001, 01:51 AM
I did 2 leaf jobs today. Both were on very wooded lots so the leaves were fairly thick. I have the mulch kit on the Lazer, but this morning I took the exmark mulching blades off and put the gators on with the mulching kit. I wasn't sure what it was going to do. I was completely surprised. One pass over and over 90% GONE. Next pass completely GONE. One customer called me to say the place looked great. He said it looked like I sucked them up and must have dumped them in the woods. The other is 3 doors from my home. He asked me where I put the bags of leaves. :D

I thought the mulch kit with exmark blades did awesome with leaves. Man was I wrong. The gators with the kit are head and shoulders better. I may get to mulch leaves longer into the season before the vac has to go on.

casey
10-25-2001, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by 65hoss

I thought the mulch kit with exmark blades did awesome with leaves. Man was I wrong. The gators with the kit are head and shoulders better. I may get to mulch leaves longer into the season before the vac has to go on.

Try the gators with the Exmark blades. No bagging...ever again.

CSRA Landscaping
10-25-2001, 02:52 AM
I'd like to get a mulch kit for my tiger cub but I hear that Scag's mulch kit is a ripoff, being only a plate to cover the discharge chute. Any suggestions?

Not bad, I may try that and see what happens. Thanks, guys.

65hoss
10-25-2001, 02:55 AM
You could make your own plate and see what happens.

casey
10-25-2001, 03:00 AM
CSRA,
You should be able to modify an Exmark or Toro chamber baffle to fit your Scag.

MIDSOUTH
10-25-2001, 11:27 AM
hey csra-scag offers a mulch master kit that has the baffles that divide each blade,it works great. Use doubles and it will grind leaves to dust, and to make lawns look really look good I run over the lawn with the ultravac on my lazer to suck up the tidbits of leaves that are left.

CSRA Landscaping
10-25-2001, 02:36 PM
Sweet, thanks Midsouth. I've just been running over them side discharging. Been working ok so far buut I'll need something better later.

REO
10-25-2001, 09:24 PM
I usually grind them until thanksgiving. I figure that the rest can just blow away.

Flex-Deck
10-26-2001, 09:37 PM
Casey, I am with you, On my JD's I use a Dixie Chopper blade on bottom and a gator on top and they are an awsome combination. I don't know where the leaves go, and don't care.

MOW ED
10-26-2001, 10:14 PM
Still grinding and picking until right before Thanksgiving.

turfsurfer
10-29-2001, 02:17 AM
Instead of picking up the leaf dust, why not sell the customers on the benefits of leaving the organic material on the lawn?