PDA

View Full Version : anyone from Utah slc county area?

atlcutah
01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Just had some questions for anyone from the area???????

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Welcome,

Yes, we are.

The house in your sig line, is it in Sandy?

We are actually located in Saratoga Springs, but we started in the Sandy/Draper area and still have a large portion of our clients there.

What all do you do, and what areas do you service?

atlcutah
01-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Hey nice to see some fellow utahns on here! I service mostly draper, riverton and South Jordan. But I am trying to get more accounts in from 45th south to 126th south and from bangerter to wasatch blvd. I have to many houses spread out and the travel is killin me. I do mostly lawn maint. But do landscaping, sprinklers, but I have been doing more grading and leveling, prep and dirt work the last couple seasons. This year I am just going to try to do the lawn accounts and do more delivering of dirt and sod, mulch. Did a ton of that last year and made alot of easy money! How about your self? What all do you guys do and where do you service? Oh the house is in Murray. The Murray bluffs area right off of winchester and just west of the jordan river.

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 01:55 AM
We do mostly fert and squirt, but we also do weekly maintenance. We're not real big, 2 trucks, one for spraying, one for aerating and mowing. What do you use for leveling and dirt delivery?

atlcutah
01-15-2008, 02:57 AM
bobcat and his dump truck. He never uses it so he lets me use it but I had to rent a bobcat a couple times. But that was a pain. So I am thinking about buying a used skid steer. But I use a 7x14 dump trailer to deliver top soil and mulch.thats been a better money maker for me than the lawns and all I got to do is drive. So I am tring to get my mowing accounts the same area day to day so by 2:00 - 3:00 pm Im done mowing and then I would do a couple deliveries after or do the skid steer work after. You looking for more lawns in saratoga springs or in eagle mtn? I have a few out there and its really not worth my time to do the 4 houses I have out there. But I cant say no to people! So If your interested let me know. I' ll be more than happy to let somebody else take those accounts. Two are $50/ cut and the other 2 are $60. All about the same size but the 2 that are $60 there is a little more curbing so a little more to edge with the crbing they have around the flower beds. They are all good accounts pay every month with in a week of getting their bill. U probably could get them to do the fertilization also. Stewarts was doing all 4.any ways let me know.

UtahGrassBust
01-15-2008, 03:11 AM
Hey guys its nice to meet some neighbors. I' work in Weber and North Davis counties.
Seeya around

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 03:59 AM
bobcat and his dump truck. He never uses it so he lets me use it but I had to rent a bobcat a couple times. But that was a pain. So I am thinking about buying a used skid steer. But I use a 7x14 dump trailer to deliver top soil and mulch.thats been a better money maker for me than the lawns and all I got to do is drive. So I am tring to get my mowing accounts the same area day to day so by 2:00 - 3:00 pm Im done mowing and then I would do a couple deliveries after or do the skid steer work after. You looking for more lawns in saratoga springs or in eagle mtn? I have a few out there and its really not worth my time to do the 4 houses I have out there. But I cant say no to people! So If your interested let me know. I' ll be more than happy to let somebody else take those accounts. Two are $50/ cut and the other 2 are $60. All about the same size but the 2 that are $60 there is a little more curbing so a little more to edge with the crbing they have around the flower beds. They are all good accounts pay every month with in a week of getting their bill. U probably could get them to do the fertilization also. Stewarts was doing all 4.any ways let me know.

I have a whole day in SS and Eagle Mtn. So that would be a good fit. I try hard not to go north of 70th south, I may be able to throw some your way, if you are looking to add. You don't have enough posts to send/receive private messages yet, but you can click on the link in my sig. line at the bottom, it will take you to my web-site and you can contact me from there.

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Hey guys its nice to meet some neighbors. I' work in Weber and North Davis counties.
Seeya around

Hi UtahGrassBust,
a lot of nice neighborhoods going in over there in Davis/Weber county. Been at this business long?

Wells
01-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Hey Joe (LawnTamer) looks like a couple of fellow Utahans have shown up, it's been a couple of years since the last one was on these boards.

Our business resides in Draper and we service mostly the Sandy/Draper area but we also have routes that service Riverton/Bluffdale/South Jordan & Murray/Holladay area. We typically service from 45th south to the point of the mountain, the Suncrest area is about as far south as we currently service.

We currently operate two maintenance crews and provide weekly lawn maintenance, fertilizing, weed control, aerating, sprinkler repair, snow removal and Christmas lighting.

AtlcUtah......your profile says you've been in business for 30 years, not sure i've ever seen you guys around, do you run more then one crew and are your vehicles marked?

Also Lawn Tamer and myself get together each year for lunch just before the season starts to talk shop, if anyone else would be interested in showing up you would be more then welcome.

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 12:36 PM
Hey Joe (LawnTamer) looks like a couple of fellow Utahans have shown up, it's been a couple of years since the last one was on these boards.

Our business resides in Draper and we service mostly the Sandy/Draper area but we also have routes that service Riverton/Bluffdale/South Jordan & Murray/Holladay area. We typically service from 45th south to the point of the mountain, the Suncrest area is about as far south as we currently service.

We currently operate two maintenance crews and provide weekly lawn maintenance, fertilizing, weed control, aerating, sprinkler repair, snow removal and Christmas lighting.

AtlcUtah......your profile says you've been in business for 30 years, not sure i've ever seen you guys around, do you run more then one crew and are your vehicles marked?

Also Lawn Tamer and myself get together each year for lunch just before the season starts to talk shop, if anyone else would be interested in showing up you would be more then welcome.

Brett,
That reminds me Fyshsticker and I were talking and he says he wants to get together.... we'll see if he remembers this time:laugh:
Bet it was nice coming home from the cruise to snow and cold. I know I froze my butt off after a 11 days in Israel.

Wells
01-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Brett,
That reminds me Fyshsticker and I were talking and he says he wants to get together.... we'll see if he remembers this time:laugh:
Bet it was nice coming home from the cruise to snow and cold. I know I froze my butt off after a 11 days in Israel.

I think John (Fyshstkr) needs to buy us dinner this time....After all it was his idea to get together and then he doesn't show.

atlcutah
01-15-2008, 03:26 PM
My dad started in 77 and it was just my dad myself and my brother. My brother moved to elko nevada and started there in 93 and I moved there and helped him get started. Those were the days of 12-15K a month profit with 2 crews. We were Northern Nevada. Then I left on my mission in 97 brother got out of it in 99 but my dad was a one man show from the time we left to elko to now. And I started back up when I came back from my mission but went out on my own. Dad still does Lawns and I help him every now and then when he cant keep up and I cant find good help to have another crew so Im solo right now and I dont mind it either. I know I could do alot more with a couple other guys but I might have to wait until my sons get a little older. My oldest is turns 7 this year so I might get him started. He can run the 21'' right now pretty good.

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 04:45 PM
My dad started in 77 and it was just my dad myself and my brother. My brother moved to elko nevada and started there in 93 and I moved there and helped him get started. Those were the days of 12-15K a month profit with 2 crews. We were Northern Nevada. Then I left on my mission in 97 brother got out of it in 99 but my dad was a one man show from the time we left to elko to now. And I started back up when I came back from my mission but went out on my own. Dad still does Lawns and I help him every now and then when he cant keep up and I cant find good help to have another crew so Im solo right now and I dont mind it either. I know I could do alot more with a couple other guys but I might have to wait until my sons get a little older. My oldest is turns 7 this year so I might get him started. He can run the 21'' right now pretty good.

Interesting. Where did you go in '97? I went to Iceland. Can I ask a weird question..... Is your last name Polynesian?

atlcutah
01-15-2008, 08:22 PM
yeah last name is Tongan. I will call those people In Saratoga and in EM and let them know that I have found someone to take care of their lawn. Do you send out a letter to your customers or do you just call them? I send a letter at the beginning of every season around the beginning of february. But my old customers call me when they want me to do the spring clean up and all that stuff. But after I talk to them I will PM you and give you their info. And if you dont come pass 70th and you get any calls from people north of 70th maybe you could swing em my way. But you know how it is..... usually get so busy that you dont want to take on any more work! lol.

atlcutah
01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
How was Iceland by the way?

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 10:31 PM
How was Iceland by the way?

Feyfey haki brother!

Don't know how to spell that, but I hope you know what I mean. I had a good friend in the MTC from Tonga, Elder Tausinga. I taught him English. He was awesome. 6'2" probably 220-230 nearly solid muscle. He played football at Liahona high, at any school here he would have been a center or a nose-guard, there he played wide receiver! Great guy. He taught me the most important words in Tongan faleyMalolo (sp?)

Anyway, Iceland was great, like they say, the best 2 yrs of your life. There were only 8 missionaries there so we are very tight, I came home almost 15 yrs ago and we are all still tight, we go shooting together and get all the wives and kids and go out to dinner or 4-wheeling.

I can probably send you some clients, if you have room. Wells always fills up too. Last year about June I changed my phone message to, "Hi, you've reached Evergreen, all our routes are currently full, if you are an existing client..... " But we had a few sell houses, and 3 clients lost their jobs, (2 were mortgage brokers... great lawns, striped like canvas) so we have a few openings.

We send out a packet to all our clients, going out this week and next week, it just lists their price for all our various services they check which boxes they want, and we go from there.

atlcutah
01-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Tausinga is a popular name. so did you grow up here? in SLC? I remember when I was younger going out and mowing with my dad..... this is like mid
80's and I dont remember seeing so many mowing crews out there like there is now. I thought landscaping and stuff was for poor colored folk when I was growing up. lol but little did I know how much money was out there to be made that it wasnt just minorities out there doing this kind of work.But its good to see that there is still money to be made out there even though there is so much competition! The only problem that I have been getting is alot of hispanics here lowballing me. I had like 5 people quit last year because a crew of 8 hispanics told them that they would do each of their houses for 10-15 dollars a piece! The only bad thing was that about 2 months later they all called back wanting me to mow their lawn again. They didnt know what day those guys would come. it was different every week. And all five lived on the same street. I was half tempted to say no I wont do it just cuz of my pride but I have a hard time saying no so I went back. Any ways I wanted to ask you about that pic of the lawn you have next to your name.......do you guys use striping kits with your mowers? Because those are some nice stripes! And what kind of equipment you guys use? Just curious. I want to get a new mower to replace my 36" exmark but I dont know what to get. I like the wright stander and I like that it doesnt take up much room in the trailer. But I like and love the walkers but just to dang expensive. But I might get a used one. But I cant decide so just thought i would ask what type of mowers you guys are running?

LawnTamer
01-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Tausinga is a popular name. so did you grow up here? in SLC? I remember when I was younger going out and mowing with my dad..... this is like mid
80's and I dont remember seeing so many mowing crews out there like there is now. I thought landscaping and stuff was for poor colored folk when I was growing up. lol but little did I know how much money was out there to be made that it wasnt just minorities out there doing this kind of work.But its good to see that there is still money to be made out there even though there is so much competition! The only problem that I have been getting is alot of hispanics here lowballing me. I had like 5 people quit last year because a crew of 8 hispanics told them that they would do each of their houses for 10-15 dollars a piece! The only bad thing was that about 2 months later they all called back wanting me to mow their lawn again. They didnt know what day those guys would come. it was different every week. And all five lived on the same street. I was half tempted to say no I wont do it just cuz of my pride but I have a hard time saying no so I went back. Any ways I wanted to ask you about that pic of the lawn you have next to your name.......do you guys use striping kits with your mowers? Because those are some nice stripes! And what kind of equipment you guys use? Just curious. I want to get a new mower to replace my 36" exmark but I dont know what to get. I like the wright stander and I like that it doesnt take up much room in the trailer. But I like and love the walkers but just to dang expensive. But I might get a used one. But I cant decide so just thought i would ask what type of mowers you guys are running?

I run Toro, I am a big fan of the T-bar steering system, it gives hydro-drive productivity with belt-drive price and simplicity. I made a stripe roller, but I don't ever use it, the mowers seem to stripe OK by themselves, if I want to really lay some stripes I have a low-rider sulky I built that I am quite fond of.
I tried out a Wright Stander at a dealership a year ago, it was really sweet. I tried out a Walker for a day, it cut nice, but it was slow compared to the T-bars and sucked on hills. Hills that any mower I've ever used would climb right up, the Walker couldn't manage. About half of my accounts are on the east bench, very hilly, so the T-bars are great.

Here are some pics, they are from last July, during the heat wave, so there are some dry spots.

A back lawn we mow, a little heat stressed, but striped pretty nice.

Me coming out of a lawn on a T-bar, I am 6'1" and you can see I don't need to bend down to reach the controls, even though I'm riding the sulky

Some helpers cleaning up, took a month for those dry spots to recover.

atlcutah
01-16-2008, 12:56 AM
You know I have never been into taking pictures of my work and stuff but I am really going to get into that this year. I am buying my wife a new camara so I can take the one she has now. So I will keep it with me all the time! Your Toro looks like my exmark.....Its been a work horse! Ive always like how the toros cut! Even the 21 inch mowers. I am going to buy a 21 inch toro this spring. I am about done with Hondas. I have had 3 hondas in the last 6years and they all had tranny problems. So its time to try something else. I have an old Snapper that is 12 years old that hasnt had as many problems as my hondas. And that snapper with the subaru robin engine has been great over the years. No problems with the mower just had to replace the catcher and the belts.Do u bag the grass or no? I bag and I hate it!!!!!! But customers always ask me to bag. In july and august I try not to bag as much as I can though. Thats funny about your voicemail. I just shut off my phone and told my customers that if they needed anything to call my home number. I get sick of talking to people especially come may and june. New customers calling I dont look forward to that! I tried to pawn off to my wife and she wont do it anymore. lol. What dealer do you use for servicing your equipment and all that?

atlcutah
01-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Is it easier than the pistol grip to control?

LawnTamer
01-16-2008, 01:55 AM
Is it easier than the pistol grip to control?

Heck Yes!

Anytime you want to try mine out just holler. They are in the garage now, I'm in the middle of my annual rebuild of equipment, changing oil and getting everything ready for spring.
I have loved my T-bars. One is 8 yrs old next month. It is nearing 4,000 hrs of absolute heavy use and abuse. It still mows like a champ. That is not to say I haven't had to do some work on it, but it has paid for itself many, many times over. I've used a Lesco with pistol grips... I thought it was scary! Only used it for a few days, but I never felt comfy in tight places like the Toro.

As far as bagging goes, I have had some people who insist on it, but most don't care, so long as it looks bagged, none of the lawns in the pics were bagged. I run double blades, gator over hi-lift, so it cuts pretty fine. In most lawns I can just side discharge that without anyone noticing or caring. My trucks have 8ft beds, we can mow 75-100 lawns before we need to go to the dump, which I hate doing.

atlcutah
01-16-2008, 09:16 PM
how many lawns you guys doing? Geez! Sounds like you guys are doin well. I think that I am going to try out a Toro this week. They are alot cheaper than the rest it seems. especially for Hydro. I seen a few on you tube and it seems like it moves really well even with the sulky! And you made your own? I saw the sulky with the striping kit that Hustler has and that thing looks crazy. I tried a Hustler last spring the 36" walk behind and that thing was hard on your wrists. But nice machine though. I see alot of guys when I mow in Murray, there are like 4 or 5 other crews that I see every tuesday that I am there. And most of them run the walkers. But I would rather Use a walk behind in those smaller lawns that I have. So do you guys usually start mowin around late march-April sometime? I am excited to finally get out there and start makin some money. I have been reading meters all winter for the power company and its getting old!

Bellenviro
04-15-2008, 04:47 AM
Yo Evergreen you guys do killer work! I am very impressed with your web site. I would love to take you out to lunch some time to talk shop, get back to me if you can...
Were you on the news a couple of weeks back talking about N-P-K? I think my wife said it was your company... not so sure

Clark

ucankissmygrass
06-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Hello, I live in the Sandy/Draper area and want to check in. I hope that my name doesn't offend, I was just having fun. I haven't seen a lot of local people on here. I want to ask for help getting established better.

I ran a guys lawn care biz out of high school and did really well with that. He left the keys to the rig each day and I did everything else. It was a good business. Did property maintenance and property management for 10 yrs, then retail for 10, then home remodeling/reale state until recently, so I have good business skills, work ethic, etc.

I have recently started up a new biz after getting out of real estate the last couple years. I have quality equip including a Toro 36 wb with the T bar. I bought that because I loved the bosses way back when(funny you guys mentioned that). I am looking at getting a Toro grandstand for a condo job Im hoping to get. I am sure in time this will become very profitable for me, and I am building my business carefully one step at a time to insure long term success

Anyway, I have decent equipment and financial resources to get equipped, but what I really need is more customers. I will have better luck next spring, but I am having trouble this late in the season getting customers. I am not sure if I am advertising right, time of season, etc., but I could sure use some help getting some referrals or advice if you could see passing some to me. I could find a way to return the favor.

I would like to network with you local folk too if you dont mind.

Thanks-Scott

alex94
06-11-2010, 02:27 AM
this thread is over two years old. but hey, i have no problem dredging it up. live in the sandy area but go to minnesota most weekends. only 16 but love the outdoors. if any of you are near the sandy library send me a pm and i will come over and give ya a quick hello! :)

lawnguy09
01-24-2011, 07:16 PM
Hey everybody! All American Property Maintenance here, new to this website, it seems like a cool place to talk to people and get info. We service West Jordan, South Jordan, Riverton, Sandy, Draper, Taylorsville area!

nightshutter
03-20-2011, 07:14 PM
hello, im in sandy and service south salt lake county and north utah county. Anyone ever needs anything let me know or if your over booked i'll take your accounts :laugh:

Lawnmowingperson
03-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Hi I'm from Brigham City Utah I'm just starting my lawn mowing business this year!

Lawnmowingperson
03-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Just wondering, how much do you guys charge an hour or per lawn? Also what is the current regular rate for mowing lawns in Utah? Im just starting my business thanks.

VPS
12-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Hey Guys! Valley Property Services here,we service Provo,Orem and Springville area.This will be my 4th season in the biz if anyone ever needs anything let me know I will be glad to help.

Cedar Lawn Care
01-09-2013, 01:28 AM
I am in Cedar City. I am looking forward to this coming mowing season. I have not done anything in the industry for 15 years. We will see how things go. In Northern Utah does everyone bag their grass on residential? In Cedar all the residential companies bag everything that I am aware of. The people on this site that I have heard act like bagging is ridiculous in most cases. Thanks for your input.

tjpropertyandlawn
02-12-2013, 02:52 PM
We service all of Utah, but are located out the Richfield area. It is great seeing fellow Utahans on here.

tjpropertyandlawn
02-12-2013, 02:55 PM
I have owned three businesses throughout the states and now in Utah making this my fourth company, and I have always bagged my clippings. I did have a mower that spewed green clippings everywhere and it was just a pain on clean up afterwards. Hope this helps.

Cedar Lawn Care
02-12-2013, 03:03 PM
We service all of Utah, but are located out the Richfield area. It is great seeing fellow Utahans on here.

Do you bag your grass? Do you feel your residential clients expect it? Do you find it difficult to get residential people to pay you enough to get a reasonable hourly rate? Do you service residential and commercial? Do you have a preference? I just want to get a feel for another fellow Utah'n. A lot of people on here have a much different experience than this part of the country / desert.

Cedar Lawn Care
02-12-2013, 03:04 PM
I have owned three businesses throughout the states and now in Utah making this my fourth company, and I have always bagged my clippings. I did have a mower that spewed green clippings everywhere and it was just a pain on clean up afterwards. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your input.

tjpropertyandlawn
02-12-2013, 03:11 PM
I have found that returning customers expect it, but other wise customers don't care, just as long as there isn't a mess when you are done. We service both commercial and residential. I like residential because there is always more work later on, commercial is nice though due to them willing to pay more because they want their business to shine more than others around. As for pay, I don't charge an hourly rate, mowing is a flat rate, from what I have seen they enjoy more.

VPS
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
We try to sell them on not bagging the grass but at the end of the Day its whatever the customer wants.

dllawson
02-17-2013, 07:36 PM
I have a group of owners from around the country testing a 21-day landscape business improvement program for me. I would really like to have a company from Utah or Colorado. If any of you are interested you can check out the post Fix Your Business on the Toilet, and send me a pm. Thanks

NEduckhunter
03-05-2013, 01:31 AM
Its that time of year again! Looks like we will be starting spring clean-ups this week and mowing by the end of the month (weather permitting).

Past years I have bagged 95% of my residential and commercial accounts. However, this year, I was fortunate enough to land several large HOAs and want to try and get away from bagging as much as possible. From what I'v read, it seems to be much more efficient without sacrificing the quality of the cut. I just wanted to ask you guys how you manage your grass clippings and your opinion on going bag-less.

What machines are you running? Are you guys bagging, side discharging, or using a mulching kit? Mulching blades?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Hope you all have a smooth and profitable season!

nightshutter
03-09-2013, 07:16 PM
I would like to start doing a meeting with fellow members in the area. You know like get together and talk business. Learn from each other. Not to uncut everyone but to help keep this industry profitable. Network with each other. Would anyone be interested?

NEduckhunter
03-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Definitely. What company would you be representing?
Posted via Mobile Device

nightshutter
03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
The one in my sig. Hopefully in the next week or two before the season really kicks off. It would be nice to get a bunch of people.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cedar Lawn Care
03-11-2013, 09:47 PM
I am down in Cedar, so it's tough to meet up often at all. I do like talking business though since we all live in the desert and face similar problems. What percentage of your clients like to have their lawns aerated every year? Do you have clients that only want you to aerate and call you each year?

nightshutter
03-13-2013, 01:49 PM
I aerate my customers lawns, not really something i try to push. In this area there are a bazillion guys out there that go door to door and do it for dirt cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenUtah
06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
Throwing out some love for the Utah gang as the heat comes on and wilts away the wannabees..lol

Cedar Lawn Care
06-19-2013, 07:38 PM
I am certainly more tired after a long day than I was 1 month ago. The temperatures are going up. I can't even imagine the guys in St. George or Vegas in the 110's.

On a different note, if any of you have an exmark or Husqvarna Zero turn mower for sale let me know! 36-48 inches.

Cedar Lawn Care
03-13-2014, 08:06 PM
When do you find is the most effective time to do post cards and door hangers in Utah? Last year I did the majority of mine late March with less than expected results. Does it help to wait till the lawns are growing a bit and wait till a week or two into April? I would appreciate any input.