PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 2 Enclosed Trailers

BeautifulBlooms
01-15-2008, 01:08 AM
I am looking for two enclosed trailers. I need one for landscape maintenance and one for lawn mowing.

I am wondering if you guys have any recommendations on either what to buy or what not to buy. How big does it need to be? I listed my needs down below. Any features you wish you would have had all along, or features that were a complete waste?

The mowing trailer I will be putting on a couple trimmers, a couple pushmowers, 1 52" Ferris IS1500 ZTR now and probably another ZTR or walk behind later. I will need to house your basic lawn and landscape pieces of equipment and tools like an edger, hedgetrimmer, chainsaw, rakes, shovels, etc etc etc. I know I will absolutely want the dropdown ramp for this trailer to get the mowers in and out. I will defintely want to put a workbench up front of the trailer for small breakdowns and for storing other stuff. I dont foresee needing room for more than 2 ztrs as my lawn operations are smaller. Downt he road if I need bigger I will buy bigger, but for now I think all I need room for is one ZTR. I am sure I could get buy with a minimum trailer of like 8 or 10 feet at this point but I dont want to outsize myself in the first year or two, so should I be looking at a 12, 14, or 16' trailer, please consider what I have said above for my expectations? Do I need to have a 6', 7' or 8' wide, considering right now my mower is 52" but I will likely add a 61" or 72" down the road depending on what business comes in. Is the side door really helpful or is it a waste???

The landscape maintenance trailer will be my all inclusive shop on wheels. I will store my rototiller, edger, handheld trimmer and attachments, chainsaw, hedgetrimmer, all hand tools, tarps, etc etc etc. I assume I will want to have a workbench built up front also. How long do I need this trailer to be? I am guessing a 12' might be enough in this situation?

dave k
01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
I have a 7 x 16' v nose Homesteader Hercules trailer and now I am in the market to sell it for a 81/2 x 16 flat nose trailer, the flat nose would give me more room in the garage because I had a longer tongue put on my v nose. What I am saying, go bigger than what you need you won't regret it. Good luck

Meadowbrook
01-15-2008, 07:54 PM
For your mowing trailer, I'd say no less than a 20 footer, maybe a 22 or 24 would be good for you when you add your 3rd mower. You have to make up your mind as to what you will carry on them due to just having wasted space & wasting fuel towing an extra couple hundred pounds of nothing around.

As far as the lil' one goes, why not keep that stuff in the big trailer (you'll have plenty of room if you go bigger) and throw it in the back of your truck when you need it on a job. Also, there's no sense in spending a couple grand for a smaller trailer when you could tow the big one around with the mowers (which will help out in sucking up trimmings) for a long time. Also, remember, if you tow the big one around, it will take a long time to use that extra 3k or so in fuel. <--Hope that makes sense.

Chris

P.S.
Maybe decide to get a diesel if your gonna tow a 20-24 footer constantly. You won't regret it, I hope lol

DFLS
01-15-2008, 09:06 PM
For your mowing trailer, I'd say no less than a 20 footer, maybe a 22 or 24 would be good for you when you add your 3rd mower. You have to make up your mind as to what you will carry on them due to just having wasted space & wasting fuel towing an extra couple hundred pounds of nothing around.

As far as the lil' one goes, why not keep that stuff in the big trailer (you'll have plenty of room if you go bigger) and throw it in the back of your truck when you need it on a job. Also, there's no sense in spending a couple grand for a smaller trailer when you could tow the big one around with the mowers (which will help out in sucking up trimmings) for a long time. Also, remember, if you tow the big one around, it will take a long time to use that extra 3k or so in fuel. <--Hope that makes sense.

Chris

P.S.
Maybe decide to get a diesel if your gonna tow a 20-24 footer constantly. You won't regret it, I hope lol

If everything is in one trailer then you can do anything anytime. If you are out mowing and a little job pops up you can do it on the spot or if you have an extra hour in the day then you are ready for it and don't have to travel back to swap trailers.