PDA

View Full Version : Northstar Industries

Indiana Outdoor Lighting
01-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Does anyone have any experience or comments about the Suresplice series of direct burial splice kits from Northstar Industries? They are offered at a savings with respect to other brands of premium filled connectors and filled.

They also sent me samples of 10 and 12 ga landscape lighting cable mfgd by ISOTEC. Looks like a nice product. Also at a good price point.

While we are at it, what brands of cable do you all prefer?

Pro-Scapes
01-15-2008, 08:31 AM
We have been using the suresplice tubes for 2 years. Zero probs so far. You need to watch how you install the wires. Sometimes I install a wirenut to help hold things down in there. If installed properly they work great. I think the fin could be a bit longer tho. I get em from FOLD and they come with the copper crips rings for buchanan crimpers. I still solder most connections however so I got a pretty nice supply of crimp rings laying around.

On the wire it all depends how much your willing to buy at one time. When you look for 20k ft or more you will find preffered pricing from nearly all vendors. Pretty much what we look for is flexible (easy to work) and a UL listing rating it for landscape lighting and UV resistant.

irrig8r
01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
The ones I've used have wire nuts, not copper crimps. I talked to the owner one day about the goop. It's apparently approved by USDA for use with machinery that comes in contact with food, so it is fairly non-toxic... but is absolute hell to get off your hands or clothes.

I always use a zip tie on the cable a few inches ahead of the splice to relieve any strain from a pulled wire, same as I do with Dry-Conns.

Pro-Scapes
01-15-2008, 06:11 PM
ohhh good trick there Gregg. I am still wanting to look at the 3m ones. I heard they are pretty good as well. 95% of our hubbed splices are contained in a jbox or irrigation vault and I really think this adds to the protection. When placing splices in a vault we try to keep the grease tubes up near the top so they will not become submerged.