PDA

View Full Version : Chinch bugs in January?

Greg Amann
01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Boy, are we going to have fun this year.
This morning one of our techs found active adult chinch bugs on a half acre property.
I am sure they are resistant as we fought them on a property directly behind him all last summer.
We were going to try to head them off starting early (March) this year, rotating Imidicloprid, Dylox, and Bifenthrin. Apparently the chinch bugs aren't taking a break.
Any of you Florida guys find the magic cure yet?

tamadrummer
01-15-2008, 07:22 PM
In my own yard, Bifenthrin (sp) is the only effective treatment for these bad boys!

I used the bayer stuff and the ortho and did not have good results, I then used the spectricde and it has done the best job. Yes it is all OTC homeowner stuff but that is what I used in my own yard.

These suckers (no pun intended) :hammerhead: have been super tough this year. I have several customers that have their property sprayed and have still been hit pretty hard in places.

I don't know if they are getting stronger or if the spray companys and my own applications were simply not done right??? :dizzy:

bug-guy
01-15-2008, 09:56 PM
we have seen the liq. arena work well some guy's are offereing a special chinch bug treatment and charging for it.
i'm in hernando cty where are u greg

Greg Amann
01-16-2008, 06:31 AM
I am in Clermont.

We had the MGK rep out last summer checking out what we were dealing with and he said, based on what he had seen, Clermont had the worst resistant infestations.

We had done trials with Exponent (MGK) and Top Choice (Bayer) with poor results.

We toyed with the thought of charging extra for treating the resistant chinch bugs. But backed off of it figuring we would try the rotation first.

We will be sitting down again today to rethink the extra charge.

Ric
01-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Greg

We have our share of resistant Chinch Bugs in south Fla. this year also. I have heard of some Magic Formulas being used in Central Fla., That were not exactly consistent with Label Law. I have just been rotating Chemicals and Found a Cocktail of Sevin and Bifen XTS works best for me. Sevin is applied at Grub rate and Bifen XTS is at the low rate. Where is Dursban now that we need it????

Greg Amann
01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Ric,
Can you shoot me a pm with your Ph#. I just tried sending you one and your box is still full.
Thanks,
Greg

Ric
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
Ric,
Can you shoot me a pm with your Ph#. I just tried sending you one and your box is still full.
Thanks,
Greg

Greg

PM send. I got tired of emptying my PMs and stopped answering them.

Runner
01-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Imidicloprid? Dylox?

A.T.A.K
01-17-2008, 07:50 PM
Greg we are also seeing are share this month in Orlando. I also know the brew some LCOS and lawn guys are spraying. I have seen some companies putting out Termidor which is crazy I know it works but would not attempt. I tried turning them in but no one cares. We have are own system down we do not let up all year one app Talstar next Dylox and what ever we are allowed to put down. Do not let up even in the winter months. Give me a shout my number is on IPCO I will help if I can

green_mark
01-18-2008, 10:50 AM
We have been using an organic product 'we manufacture' called Blistering Defense.

What this does is dis-flavor the food source and makes it so they cannot feed and either drives them away or they die.

Takes about 3 - 5 days for full effect.

www.FarmCropExtracts.com