PDA

View Full Version : Started a fire yesterday!

Craig Turf Management
10-25-2001, 11:08 AM
It's been pretty dry here in Charlotte lately. Yesterday while edging a rather large property, I noticed an unusual odor. I turned to see a spot of grass on fire from sparks thrown from my stick edger. I did a little dance on the hot spot, and the fire was quickly extinguished. I will look behind me from time-to-time from now on, just in case. Anything like this ever happen to you folks?
Take care, Bill!

strickdad
10-25-2001, 11:18 AM
you need to keep doing that dance!! you got it to rain here in asheboro last night.. thanks!

UrbanEarth
10-25-2001, 02:41 PM
One of my crew managed to light my Gravely two wheel tractor on fire!!!! We were doing spring cleanups with a sweeper attachment. Lots of dry thatch was being spat up all over the place and decided that a great place to collect was between the cowling and the muffler. After a bit of this, it started to smoulder, then poof, it was burning. The operator decided that it would be a good idea to get the burning stuff off the machine and swept it onto the grass (Dunno if this was a really good idea!). The grass then started on fire, which then spread to the poly brush of the sweeper. Now great gobs of burning melting poly brush are falling all over the place, lighting more of the grass on fire! One of the residents had a water hose, but it was too short to reach the machine. Let's push the burning machine over to the hose!!!!! Eventually, we managed to put everything out without having to call the fire dpartment. Lost the brush, but the rest of the sweeper was O.K. We called it a day after that!

Moral of the story is to always have a fire extinguisher on your machines.

Alan

captdevo
10-25-2001, 03:20 PM
a friend borrowed his future in-laws old John Deere 110, mowed for an hour or so and had to refuel.

He spilled the gas on the exhaust or somthing and caught it on fire, burnt it pretty bad.

he put the mower fire out with a towel he had, didn't know the towel was smoldering, threw it on plastic patio table, walked inside and his neighbor called him about his table on fire.

talk about havin' a bad day..........

Dave

mdb landscaping
10-25-2001, 04:02 PM
last year doing fall clean ups i lit the leaves on fire. i was using a fradan, and the muffler on this model was really low on the side. i hit a pile of leaves with it and it started the fire. it wouldve spread quick, but 3 other people and I on the crew began to jump on it, and they went out. thank god, dry leaves sure fuel fires.

Grass_Slayer
10-25-2001, 05:47 PM
i like to set toilet paper in trees on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:blob2:

lawnworker
10-25-2001, 05:53 PM
I have never started a fire yet,i know others who have by running mowers through deep leafs.A good reason to keep a fire extinguisher on the truck.

65hoss
10-25-2001, 06:28 PM
Get some toilet paper, you can at least have some fun with the fire.

Craig Turf Management
10-25-2001, 08:09 PM
I saw a guy last year pulling a trailer load of leaves down the interstate. The leaves and the trailer were both burning. By the time I got turned around and caught up with the guy, he was already stopped. I helped him put out most of the fire by the time the fire dept. showed up. Turns out that he flicked a cigarette out the window of his truck, and you guessed it. It landed smack dab in the middle of all those leaves.
Take care, Bill!:blob2:

Robert Doubrava
10-25-2001, 08:41 PM
my grandfather ran out of gas on his riding mower, which is now mine. he did not let it cool of, so he starts pouring gas in the tank, and he set it on fire! it was eventually put out with a water hose!!!! :blob3:

KrisD
10-25-2001, 11:48 PM
We started a fire this Spring. Mowing some mostly dormant turf with a 21. I was trimming and smelled the fire. Put it out with my hat then a hose. I called the Fire Dept they told me it wasn't uncommon for a mower to hit a rock or something and cause a spark and ignite dry grass. I was really paranoid for a while after that. Be carefull on dry grass!

KerryB
10-26-2001, 09:28 AM
Hey Craig, can you do a little more of that dance? We got a few drops here in Rockingham, need some more. lol