PDA

View Full Version : Surprise today!

rcreech
01-15-2008, 07:41 PM
I got an awesome suprise today!

Got a phone call today from a fell and he asked about my lawncare program and said he was interested in my services.

As always, I asked him how he found out about me and what he said surprised me.

He said "You hung a piece on my front door last year".

I did this back in April! It was a crazy surprise!!!!!

So moral of the story is don't get down if you don't get flooded with calls within a week of hanging. They may call later!

This probably won't happen to often, but it sure made my day today!

I just have to get him measured now and hopefully get his business! :cool2:

humble1
01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
I got an awesome suprise today!

Got a phone call today from a fell and he asked about my lawncare program and said he was interested in my services.

As always, I asked him how he found out about me and what he said surprised me.

He said "You hung a piece on my front door last year".

I did this back in April! It was a crazy surprise!!!!!

So moral of the story is don't get down if you don't get flooded with calls within a week of hanging. They may call later!

This probably won't happen to often, but it sure made my day today!

I just have to get him measured now and hopefully get his business! :cool2:

Hey Rodney, is your hanger similar to your postcard?

rcreech
01-15-2008, 08:26 PM
No.

I actually take heavy card stock and print off a colored piece I made up (actually it looks pretty good for a lawn guy doing it).

I print 3 up and then cut them so I leave a very professional piece.

I put one of these and a pen (with my logo, phone number and website) in a plastic bag hanger and hand on there door.

Havn't gotten great success from them, like the postcard, but you can kinda select your neighborhood to work in.

I would say out of 300 of these, I picked up about 6 or 8 customers! Definitly worth the time, and I feel the branding is BIG!

There should be a lot of poeple out there using my pens. I buy nice ones so they don't throw them away! My customer love my pens and usually ask for more!

I think a good pen says alot about your business!

DON'T EVERY buy cheap pens. It is better to not buy any at all!

lifetree
01-15-2008, 09:45 PM
Another LCO has told me that sometimes they'll keep your information for 2 years before they call ... just to see whether you stay in business !! Sounds like this may be the case with your customer ... good luck.

mow2nd
01-15-2008, 09:53 PM
It always makes your day when somebody calls you from a flyer you did way back. I had one call me that held on to one of my flyers for 5 years, that was crazy. Too bad I had already relocated across town and was no longer working that area.

bug-guy
01-15-2008, 09:59 PM
he i did some roadkilling last year (driving around looking for landscapers and fert/ squirt guys) 6 months later 2 came buy and are good cust. now

summitlawncare
01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
That is a good idea about the bags and pens. I tell you the thing that has brought me the most success over the last 9 years or so, is after I get a customer and impress the hell out of them, I give them a big stack of flyers to hand out at their work, churches, etc. It has worked well for me. Also, I dont know if you guys are in the christmas light installation business, but one of the best ways to get business for that, is to go to your local hobby lobby or garden ridge, or some similiar store that sells seasonal decor and ask them to put up flyers in their store. If you think about the demographic that normally goes into those places, usually older women, ones who normally dont want to fool with, or physically cant put their own lights up. Just a thought, if your are into that side of the business.

crazy4green
01-18-2008, 12:59 PM
I always put the usual customer referal coupons/ postcards in every bag i hang with invoice. I love it when neighbors call the next year after seeing you do their neighbors lawn for the season. Those referal postcards probaly accont for 60-70% of my new buisness

ted putnam
01-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Anybody ever put their flyer/postcard in an unmarked manila envelope so the customer would be curious and sure to see it instead of just tossing it into File 13?.... Just a thought.

bill8379
01-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I always put the usual customer referal coupons/ postcards in every bag i hang with invoice. I love it when neighbors call the next year after seeing you do their neighbors lawn for the season. Those referal postcards probaly accont for 60-70% of my new buisness

Love that Idea, I shall copy/paste into my lawnsite advice document.

summitlawncare
01-18-2008, 03:59 PM
Customer referrals are great. What better way to get the word out, then for someone you have already done work for, brag to someone else about what a good job you do. I cannot think of a simpler way to get business. You know, something I used to do, is, for example, overseed my yard with rye in mid-september, you would be amazed at how many people, right there in my own neighborhood would stop and ask me what I did to make my yard look like that in the middle of the winter, next thing you know, the following season (or if it was early enough, that same season) I would have two or three over-seeding jobs without even having to load up my truck or trailer!!!! I dont need to tell you guys this, but word of mouth is what this industry is all about!!

americanlawn
01-18-2008, 06:32 PM
I'll bet you dollars to donuts that rcreech's reputation had something to do with it. Freinds & neighbors talk. They tend to share good experiences. I'm guessing previous hard work & honesty had just as much to do with it. Brochures remind people to chose a service they trust. Otherwise I'd be ordering Dominos pizzas every night! LOL

Nice job rcreech. You deserve the results from your hard work. Sincerely, americanlawn

rcreech
01-19-2008, 10:21 PM
I'll bet you dollars to donuts that rcreech's reputation had something to do with it. Freinds & neighbors talk. They tend to share good experiences. I'm guessing previous hard work & honesty had just as much to do with it. Brochures remind people to chose a service they trust. Otherwise I'd be ordering Dominos pizzas every night! LOL

Nice job rcreech. You deserve the results from your hard work. Sincerely, americanlawn

Thanks Larry! Your too kind! Looking foreword to getting to meet you this spring!

GravelyGuy
01-19-2008, 10:37 PM
I'll tell you what's not such a good feeling, when you pass out flyers to the same neighborhoods every year and some PITA calls you out once searching for the lowest price and then forgets she already called you and calls you out again a few years later to do the same thing to you. Whoa, was that a run on sentence?;)

No seriously, this has happened to me twice now. Both times the people denied that I had ever been there. I am 100% sure I was there. They don't realize that you remember driving all the way to their house to give them a FREE estimate. I emphasize FREE. I love it when people call and say they want a FREE estimate like I forgot what my flyer says. What what, I'm only 19, I think I've been in the biz too long...