PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Glyphosate

Tadams
01-15-2008, 10:26 PM
I've always wondered about a few things that had to do with round-up or any Glyphosate based product and thought I would ask if anyone knew an answer.

Here they are:
1. How long will round-up stay active if left in mixed form in a backpack sprayer?

2. I know that round-up only works if the plant is actively growing but someone once told me that it will stay active on the plant until it IS growing. Is this true?

3. What would happen to grass or shrubs if you mixed round-up at one ounce per gallon? Would it work like a PGR or would it kill it?

4. What will happen if you get round-up on only one or just a couple of leaves on a shrub? Will it kill it?

I thought I had a couple more questions but I'm drawing a blank right now so if anyone else has any questions feel free to chime in.

mow2nd
01-15-2008, 10:42 PM
I had round up in one of my back packs for like 4 months, I sprayed some Poianna (sp) 2 weeks ago and it's dead as can be. So that's 4 months, I mean I'm sure if could go longer.

I spray round up on my bermuda yards in the winter, and the yards come up fine in the spring, so I would say "False"

I don't think one once a gallon would hurt a shrub but may take a while to kill grass.

Why so many questions about Round-Up?

Tadams
01-15-2008, 11:08 PM
Why so many questions about Round-Up?

Just some things that I have always wondered about. I really don't want to accidentally spray a little bit of RU on a plant and then it die. Scary!

rcreech
01-15-2008, 11:15 PM
Not sure why you are asking these questions, but if you feel that you have gotten gly or any other chemical "off target", the best thing you can do is remove the leaves from the plant or drench them with water quickly.

I've always wondered about a few things that had to do with round-up or any Glyphosate based product and thought I would ask if anyone knew an answer.

Here they are:
1. How long will round-up stay active if left in mixed form in a backpack sprayer?

I had about 20 gallon of 2% gly solution left last fall so I put it in a 30 gallon drum. This fall, I ended up spraying it and it worked just as good as the day it was mixed. Long story short, I don't think you have to worry about it losing its activity.

2. I know that round-up only works if the plant is actively growing but someone once told me that it will stay active on the plant until it IS growing. Is this true?

This can be true. I fall spray all my fields in the late fall once the temps stay consistently below 40-50 degrees. With that said plants have much slower growth. I sprayed the gly back in Nov and just about a week ago (1st week of Jan)it warmed up and I finally seen the winter annuals showing serious kill.

3. What would happen to grass or shrubs if you mixed round-up at one ounce per gallon?

Rate/gallon is just one piece of the puzzle. If you hold you wand in one spot for a while then 1 oz/gal will kill anything. With grass I think 1 oz has the opportunity to go out, but it depends on what kind of grass it is, how mature is it and what is the size of the grass. As far as the shrubs probably nothing! The larger the plant and the more growing points there are the more AI it takes.

Would it work like a PGR or would it kill it?

Dunno!
4. What will happen if you get round-up on only one or just a couple of leaves on a shrub? Will it kill it?

Probably nothing----read above

I thought I had a couple more questions but I'm drawing a blank right now so if anyone else has any questions feel free to chime in.

Tadams
01-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Not sure why you are asking these questions, but if you feel that you have gotten gly or any other chemical "off target", the best thing you can do is remove the leaves from the plant or drench them with water quickly.

That is exactly what I do but I also have to worry about what the helpers are doing (No one will do as good of a job as the owner).

Thanks for the replies fellas! Anyone else have any input or horror stories that have happened to them?

Ric
01-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Tadams

Read the Label carefully and many of your question will be answered. Look at the Roundup Original Label for information on Growth regulation and Chemical mowing. Two manufactures are now making 99% of the Glyphosate regardless of Label, Monsanto and NuFarm. Most off brands are in fact Roundup Original formulation.