PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a Scag Tiger Cub???

4x4Dragon
10-25-2001, 03:41 PM
Hello all,

I along with a friend of mine are looking to get started in "The Business". I am looking at getting a Tiger Cub with the 48" Advantage and either 19 or 21 hp engine.(Any recommendations on engine size). We will mainly be doing residential(small to large) and probably some apartment complexes. Should I be looking at a different model Scag(I definetly want a Scag) over the Tiger Cub. It just looks the best for me right now due to starting off and not wanting to overdue it($$$$$$$).

can any of you relate your experiences on the mower and what you use it for????

mdb landscaping
10-25-2001, 04:00 PM
there are a lot of scags out there. ive heard mixed opinons on them, but i dont think you could go wrong by getting one. i think you may regret getting the 48 inch tiger cub. since you said you may do some condos and small to large residentials, maybe you should consider jumping up to the 60 inch turf tiger. it may seem large to you, but i think you will regret not getting it in the future. by the way, get the 25 kohler for it.

4x4Dragon
10-25-2001, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
there are a lot of scags out there. ive heard mixed opinons on them, but i dont think you could go wrong by getting one. i think you may regret getting the 48 inch tiger cub. since you said you may do some condos and small to large residentials, maybe you should consider jumping up to the 60 inch turf tiger. it may seem large to you, but i think you will regret not getting it in the future. by the way, get the 25 kohler for it.

Maybe the 52" Tiger Cub?????

How much do those Turf Tiger's run???????

mdb landscaping
10-25-2001, 04:12 PM
you can probably get a 60 inch turf tiger for about $7000-$7400. not really sure about pricing in your area. give a few local dealers a call and ask them what they are asking for. like i said before, you are the one who knows what size of properties you want to use it on. i can put my 60 inch lazer, just about any place my 48 inch scag walk behind can go. if you talk to most guys on here, they all seem to grow out of they smaller deck sizes in a hurry. most guys have a 36 or 48 inch walk behind and a 60 inch ztr. you can mow just about any yard with those two mowers, except for small gates of course.

HOWARD JONES
10-25-2001, 04:19 PM
When I was pricing mowers early this year, 60 inch Scags were over $8000 - I shopped several brands and never found a 60" for 7000, but came close. If you just look at a lot of posts here, it seems like the most popular "ZTRs" are 52 and 60 inch - just something to think about.

mklawnman
10-25-2001, 04:25 PM
Hey
If your just getting into "The Business" id recommend spending a little extra money and get the SCag Turf Tiger. I bought a 52inch with the advantage 23hp Kaw. Thing runs awsome, cuts great and gets into those small areas on the residental lawns. Also if your doing lots of hills the Turf Tiger rides on hills alot better than the Tiger Cub. You could go 61inch but then the price goes up, we paid $8300 total for our Turf Tiger
Look for the sales now cause its going into the winter season
Scags are popular up here, Exmark is really good too.
Good Luck
Matt (Lawnman)

Shady Brook
10-25-2001, 04:32 PM
I have all scag, but am enticed by exmark, and maybe Dixie for a rider. There seems to be more all around satisfaction with exmark then scag from my experience.

Just a thought, but I get the impression that you do not have any accounts yet, I could be wrong, but maybe having accounts lined up may be the first step. Depends how much money you have to spend, but a walkbehind can be pretty needful in gated situations. I try to buy according to need, and you may find out that the machine you bought does not fit your need, and have to take a heavy loss on a trade in to get the one for the job.

Jay

4x4Dragon
10-25-2001, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Shady Brook
Just a thought, but I get the impression that you do not have any accounts yet, I could be wrong, but maybe having accounts lined up may be the first step. Jay

Yes, of course, I know that's true. I've got some good leads already though. I have close friends that do bulk maintenance at Apartment Complexes as well as an Uncle who owns a larger Nursery here locally and he is always turning down smaller jobs.

K9LWT
10-25-2001, 05:26 PM
I have been drooling over a Hustler Super Z with the leaf collection system-I think they are right around 10 grand. Something to consider.

Grass_Slayer
10-25-2001, 06:00 PM
have yall seen the lazers with the 26hp kohler with the efi??? my dealer said they produce around 30hp!! only i couldn't even afford a used one for right at 10000.

look into mtd pro and cub cadet, toro, woods. Just find whatever is right for your needs. Gravely, scag, great dane, hustler, ferris, chopper, walker!!!!! too many mowers to count!:D

CSRA Landscaping
10-25-2001, 06:58 PM
I've been running a tiger cub since dec of last year and it's been ok. If I could do it again, I'd get a turf tiger, 61" deck, maybe 72", for two reasons.
1) More horsepower.
2) Increased productivity. The 48" just isn't enough sometimes. :rolleyes:

Shady Brook
10-25-2001, 07:05 PM
I think I would go cub advantage before a Tiger. I say that because of the drive shaft issue. I know of other companies happier since switching to the cub because they feel they multch better without the drive shaft robbing power. They are cheaper as well. Service is first, find a place that will take care of you, you could have the best mower in the world, but if no one will fix it quick, it is all for not. Test some out before you spend the jack.

Jay

awm
10-26-2001, 07:11 PM
im curious ,anybody know the bts of the direct drive mowers
like scag etc.