PDA

View Full Version : grease fitting and bearing question??

4curbappeal
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I just took of front caster wheels on an exmark metro wb and have what looks like bearings all over the place. Is this an easy fix or should I take it to my dealer. I really don't know what I have, but thought that it might be bearings that nneded re packed. Any help would be great! Thank you!

4curbappeal
01-16-2008, 09:15 PM
I really need some help! I need this mower back together by saturday! Does anyone know a ball park figure to take it to a dealer and have them fix it?
Thanks!

ed2hess
01-16-2008, 09:24 PM
I am just guess that a shop might charge more to repair than a new wheel with the bearing in them... It is pretty simple to repair ...two end caps to knock out to take it apart. But you will need end caps, sleeve, two bearings, and most likely the bolt and nut than mounts it to spindle. Shop likely will have to order parts.

4curbappeal
01-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Thank you Hess! Let my start all over by sayinging that I was taking off the wheel to clean and touch up the casters/forks! All of the pieces are intact and not worn. I just need to put this darn thing back together. Thanks in advance for any help! I

Roger
01-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Do you need part #7 from this parts diagram?

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/057.htm

If so, I think it is a cage-roller bearing assembly. I tried to find an Exmark parts book online with more detail to the part, but can't locate one right now.

Are the "bearings" of which you speak, small rollers, perhaps 3/16" diameter, and 4" long? Those dimensions are approximate, don't hold me to them. But, they are not ball bearings, right?

If the rollers have become dislodged from the cage, then you should be able to place them back into the cage, then remount within the wheel assembly.

If I have misunderstood your question, then I apologize for trying to be helpful with too many assumptions. Some pics of your parts would be very helpful.

4curbappeal
01-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Do you need part #7 from this parts diagram?

http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/057.htm

If so, I think it is a cage-roller bearing assembly. I tried to find an Exmark parts book online with more detail to the part, but can't locate one right now.

Are the "bearings" of which you speak, small rollers, perhaps 3/16" diameter, and 4" long? Those dimensions are approximate, don't hold me to them. But, they are not ball bearings, right?

If the rollers have become dislodged from the cage, then you should be able to place them back into the cage, then remount within the wheel assembly.

If I have misunderstood your question, then I apologize for trying to be helpful with too many assumptions. Some pics of your parts would be very helpful.

Roger,

You are right on as far as the rollers. there are also rollers that are smaller(2 different diameters, but approx. 4") I have no clue. If you are still there, I would glady take pics for you! Thanks for your reply! Hope to hear back soon. Tim

4curbappeal
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM
Here are pic's! This is for a front caster wheel and not a deck spindle. Thanks again for the help.

Roger
01-16-2008, 11:00 PM
The rollers is exactly what I thought. I have an Exmark Viking, with the same caster wheels, but have never taken them apart. My parts manual is in my truck, or I would look for a better picture.

I suspect that the four smaller ones are part of the cage, and the larger rollers are the roller bearings the wheel rotates upon. The rollers should be running on the hollow tube, positioned just above the rollers.

Was the wheel really loose before you took out the bolt? If so, then perhaps they are worn beyond repair, and need to be replaced. I don't think they should have fallen out, unless they are badly worn. They almost look rusty. Did you do extensive cleanup on them, or is this the way they fell out? If no cleanup, then they probably have been starved for lube. They should be bathed in grease.

There is probably another part that can be removed from the wheel assembly. From the inside, there is the bolt, then the tube (which you have in the pic), and then there is probably another piece to come out. I will have to look at the parts drawing tomorrow.

BTW, I like the fruit in the basket. You have a very understanding spouse to allow you to bring your caster wheel and parts into the dining room, perhaps even laying on the dining room table .... Ha! My parts stay downstairs and outside!

4curbappeal
01-16-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks Roger,

Sorry about the semi-rotten oranges in the picture! My wife is the greatest.

I actually dropped the wheel while taking it off. Should I just take it to the dealer tomorrow? This mower is kind of a winter project and I have someone coming to look at it tomorrow. Let me know if you get a chance! I have a few hours in the morning to tackle it if needed. I appreciate your help! Tim

topsites
01-17-2008, 12:02 PM
Oh that's easy, the pins go outside of the bigger round piece with the hole in it, the pins go between the wheel and that holy pin then the bolt goes through that.

I'd clean it all up with some wd-40 and then put it together but make sure you apply liberal amounts of grease to it all, pump a good amount through the zerk before you take off make sure it squeezes out the sides then roll the wheel several times round and round then pump a bit more, repeat until that joker is nicely greased.

Once you're done you will want to seriously run by your dealer or via J-Thomas you want to order the parts, because she'll be fine for a few jobs but they'll need replacing soon, keep them greased but sooner is better.

Like so (sorry crappy pic I did with Paint lol), this is looking at it from the front, the round dots are the pins, the center piece is that holy pin and the black stuff is the wheel:

corey4671
01-17-2008, 12:13 PM
BTW, I like the fruit in the basket. You have a very understanding spouse to allow you to bring your caster wheel and parts into the dining room, perhaps even laying on the dining room table .... Ha! My parts stay downstairs and outside!

AMEN! My wife would KILL me if I used her counter space or kitchen table as a workbench! :)

4curbappeal
01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Thank you everyone! I just picked up a new exmark wheel bearing kit from the dealer for about $12. The part # is 1-513809 incase anyone ever does a search for this. My mower is a exmark metro model#m4815ka.
Thanks again!

cantoo
01-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Dealer saves the day again.. Three cheers for the Dealers.

ps if you didn't sell the mower and are planning on keeping it you might as well replace the other side too. Also might want to check the grease zerks might be plugged or not being used enough.
I buy and sell stuff and a good cleaning and regreasing makes things look and move better. I don't repaint stuff but I do try to make sure everything works and is greased properly.

topsites
01-18-2008, 01:25 AM
Thank you everyone! I just picked up a new exmark wheel bearing kit from the dealer for about $12. The part # is 1-513809 incase anyone ever does a search for this. My mower is a exmark metro model#m4815ka.
Thanks again!

You did the right thing, I didn't want to say it since it sounded like you had an emergency on your hands, but fixing it right in the first place now you won't have to tear into it again.

Once they're worn enough to fall to pieces like that it's usually time to replace them, but in an emergency you can plaster it all back together and it should hold for another job or so, still it is only a matter of time.

They do give out from time to time, I've done this a few times in 6-7 years.
I'd have to guess them falling apart is the tell-tale indication it needs replacing, all of mine always do :laugh: