PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Loegering tracks on a Bobcat skid steer?

dirtybiz
01-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Has anyone put some hours on Loegering tracks that can be bolted up to any skid steer?? www.loegering.com Reason i ask is we have alot of mountainous work coming up this spring, and we have a low hour S300 that i was considering trying a set of these on instead of spending a pile of cash to trade a good machine for a T300.

We already have a T250, would be interesting to be able to compare the two. I don't think the T250 will be able to keep up w/the pace at which we are gonna be moving, gonna need another machine and a tracked machine is gonna be ideal. Anyone expereinced with these, sure hate to spend 10-14k for them if they aren't worht a crap. Nice thing is you can put your wheels back on if you want to in about an hour. THanks for the input

RockSet N' Grade
01-16-2008, 08:51 PM
Look for a used pair. Got mine used for $7500. Ksss got his for even a better deal. I have about 450hrs on mine now and like em. Easy clean when the day is done and they clean themselves out nicely as you work. I am too lazy to switch back and forth, so the tracks look like they are gonna stay on awhile longer. Wear seems to be even......Don't know replacement price on rubber bands. No problems with machine in any way as of yet.

bobcat_ron
01-16-2008, 09:26 PM
The steel with the rubber pads are the better ones from Mclaren, much smoother ride.

KRtraxx
01-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Have sold a ton of these things on various machines from 50 to 110 HP.The problems have been next to zero with the UC itself.Track band life varys widely by whos running it and what application its being used in.In tough jobs like brush mowing the 18" track bands have been lasting about a 1000 hrs on an 80HP machine.I have seen some guys getting 1800 in other easier applications.And yes there are a few wild cowboys out there who can destroy a set of track bands in 600 hrs.in very harsh or abusive situations..As far as performance compared to a T250 in ride,speed, lifting,carrying,digging or total stability there is quite a difference in real world use.With the scales leaning significantly towards the VTS machines.The only negative thing that comes to mind is the fact that the VTS equipped machines are wider than the factory units.(79" for the S300 overall W/18" tracks)...For comparison sake I have observed an informal display by construction workers on a job site showing guys that their S220 with VTS can push and lift as much or more than their T300.Found that quite amazing since the T300 is quite an animal in itself...There are starting to be a few used sets around also..Remember that the 18" sets can be reconfigured to fit longer or shorter wheelbases than what they were bolted too.43" to over 51".But there are different length track bands if the wheelbase is TOO far different from the original machine it was on different track bands may be required.In the case of Bobcats the rear sproket on the VTS in inverted due to the longer axles than other brands.If you buy a used VTS off a different brand You will have to completely readjust the VTS to get things properly set up.No huge deal.Its been done by many.But it would be easier to get one thats already set up and been on a S300/250.Any questions on this feel free to get a hold of me.Would be glad to help you with some good advice. :)

KRtraxx
01-17-2008, 12:46 AM
The steel with the rubber pads are the better ones from Mclaren, much smoother ride.

Mclaren makes some great tracks.Probably the best steel tracks out there.The latest VTS track bands though have been made with a less aggressive track lug than before.Hence a better ride than before.

ksss
01-17-2008, 01:34 PM
There is a guy that posts here on occasion and at HEF that has a Bobcat with a VTS system his name is Bob Horell or something similiar to that. If he does not answer this thread you may start one at HEF and I am sure he could answer your questions specific to Bobcat. I would go to back to your dealer in Belgrade and tell him you need the high performance model in Power Tan for working in the hills.:drinkup:

dirtybiz
01-20-2008, 10:30 PM
KRRTRAX where would a person find used ones, although like you said i think i would be better off spending the extra $$ to get new ones set up for my machine. Sounds like you thought they were pretty impressive tracks as well, just wish i could find somebody locally to try some out first, before unloading 15k on a set. Never seen a set of them around here, not even a ton of ctl's here yet!

dirtybiz
01-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks for all of the information, they look pretty impressive on their web site. Out of curiosity i called my local bobcat dealer and asked for prices on a T300 and a S300 w/these tracks and the S300 w/loegering tracks was about 2k less. May be getting a set and sticking on the S300 we already have, since it only has very low hours on it. Sure would be fun to compare to our T250 (new last spring).

KSSS what is HEF?? I take it you like Case?? I can't get used to their controls, can't get my brain to think that way. Thanks for your help.

ksss
01-20-2008, 10:43 PM
It is Heavy Equipment Forum dot com

It is a forum similiar to this one only focused more on Heavy Equipment.

The Bobcat/CASE dealer in Belgrade seem pretty helpful. I was in there several times last year while working in Big Sky. Western Plains is also very good in Belgrade. Your lucky to have good backing.

The guy that has a set of VTS on a Bobcat is Bob Horrell.

dirtybiz
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
KSSS, thanks for your input, i will check that forum out and see if i come across him. Yes the dealer here in belgrade is pretty good (hence all the bobcat equip.), i am just real unfamiliar with case and like mentioned before hate the controls. Very few of them around here too, easier to get parts for bobcat.

You did some work up in big sky last summer? That's where we are headed this spring, got a rather large job to do up their, and don't think the T250 will be able to keep up. Tracks are the ticket up their. Just trying to figure out how we can get another tracked machine without shelling out 50k+

ksss
01-20-2008, 11:06 PM
We have worked up there the last two years. Most was done last Winter. I used steel tracks and large floatation tires. Both work well to a point. There are some conditions up there that you cant even work with tracks. I had buried my excavator numerous times up to the bottom of house. If I could not have pulled myself out I would still be there (that was last Spring). You may not need VTS unless you want them anyway. A set of the Loegren Trail Blazers work very well if you wanted to try and save some money. They have the large pads and float well. I don't know where on the Hill you will be working but as you know that Hill is a *****. I was in the Cowboy Heaven area.

KRtraxx
01-20-2008, 11:08 PM
KRRTRAX where would a person find used ones, although like you said i think i would be better off spending the extra $$ to get new ones set up for my machine. Sounds like you thought they were pretty impressive tracks as well, just wish i could find somebody locally to try some out first, before unloading 15k on a set. Never seen a set of them around here, not even a ton of ctl's here yet!

Dirtybiz..My distributor I think has your territory also. PM me your PH. no.and I will have him get you lined up with some used ones out there.Hes a good guy and is straight forward,no BS. You will love your BC even more with these on there.I think I have a set that have some hours on it that I could sell you.But would the freight eat up the savings? Could check on that scenario for you also.Hope this helps....

dirtybiz
01-20-2008, 11:50 PM
KSSS, do they have a web site for the Loegren Trail Blazers?? Do they go over the tires?? I am leaning towards vts not only for flotation, but also stability for some slopes we have to deal with. We will be on the other side of the hill in the Y. Club, and it is just as bad!

I noticed you said something about a T190 on another thread, I take it you don't like that particular machine?? What is your feelings on this machine? Do you think my S205 could turn a set of VTS?? Thanks again.

KRtraxx, i sent you a pm, thanks.

ksss
01-21-2008, 12:45 AM
KSSS, do they have a web site for the Loegren Trail Blazers?? Do they go over the tires?? I am leaning towards vts not only for flotation, but also stability for some slopes we have to deal with. We will be on the other side of the hill in the Y. Club, and it is just as bad!

I noticed you said something about a T190 on another thread, I take it you don't like that particular machine?? What is your feelings on this machine? Do you think my S205 could turn a set of VTS?? Thanks again.

KRtraxx, i sent you a pm, thanks.

I think you will need higher hp on that hill. Given the sticky nature of the clay,, combined with the high alt. (if your at the Y club you be just under 9K feet) and the fact that you will be going up hill no matter which way you go. You will want more hp I believe. I had my 95XT up there two years ago with the Trail Blazers and it takes hp to run there. The 95XT has a net of 85 hp and it was working hard. The 205 and the 190 are the same machine except for the tracks and at 55ish hp you will be badly underpowered. Having said all of that I don't know what your doing exactly. If your excavating, moving a lot of material what I said stands. If your not, you may get by with less hp. It is said you lose 10 percent of a turbocharged machines hp every 1000 feet over 5000 feet. I don't know if that is true but there aint a lot of air up there, that I know. We moved a lot material all with excavators and skid steers many times I was pushing mud up to the bottom of the door on the skid steer, real hp intensive. The 190 is underpowered and I think a POS that is IMHO, the T250 is much better.

I would equip the machine you do the most excavating work with be the one that gets the tracks. You will not be able to use the 205 VTS system on a large frame machine without getting different tracks, so will not be able to easily switch back and forth. Also the big advantage of the 205 is its size. When you put the VTS on, it will no longer be as nimble and so you will have a wide machine with low hp not a great combination especially when you work in the areas that you and I work. I would think that by putting the VTS on your large frame machine you will gain much more. It is already big and wide with more hp, by adding the VTS it will just be that much more capable but you will not give up anything as you would by tracking the 205.

The Trail Blazers (steel over tire tracks) have been renamed and I cant remember what they are now called but they have the wide treads. They are easy to spot if you go to the website (same as VTS site).

If you want to talk to someone that has VTS on a machine (its a CASE 70XT) there is one here. PM me and I will give you his number if you like. Considering what they cost, researching it is not a bad idea. I got mine for 5200. It was a pretty good deal.

Bob Horrell
01-23-2008, 10:52 PM
dirtybiz, as KSSS said, I have had a set of VTS tracks on my S250 for a couple of years now. I still think they are great. What I really like is that they work great with the 2 speed.
I have a friend with a T300 and we spent a day on a job together. We swapped machines for half a day. We both felt that the VTS system was better. Some of the reasons were: suspension, operated with 2 speed therefore faster in a lot of ways, seemed a little more stable, pushed through a pile a little better (probably due to extra weight), and the big one - stayed much cleaner and easier to clean out.
I have kept the VTS system on the machine and used it exclusively as a ctl. For the other applications where tires would be better, I just use my skiploader.
Tracks are wearing well. I have some chuncking that you get when working in rocky conditions but am very happy with the wear characteristics. I work my equipment hard but I don't abuse it. I do not operate the same as I would a skidsteer.
I find them incredible when loading my dump truck. I have an 80 inch construction bucket that holds 1 1/4 yds heaped. It is so fast loading my dump that I hardly ever want to use my tractor. My dump is a high side and the S250 with the vertical lift reaches over the side easily. The tracks make it so stable, even with the 1 1/4 yds in the bucket, you can load really fast.
The suspension on the front makes it a little more difficult when fine grading as the front end wants to dive when the bucket has resistance or is loaded. After you get used to it it's not so bad. I made a couple of blocks to stop downward movement in the suspension when fine grading and it really helped.
I don't know how they work in the snow. We are likely to get snow here in the next few days, so I may get a chance to try them. I am guessing that the large blocks wouldn't work all that well in icy conditions. Something like the ASV/CAT tracks with a whole lot of small edges would probably work better on ice due to much more gripping edges (like siping in tires). I have been on hard packed hills so steep that they would just spin. If the ground is soft, then they are animals on hills.
My S250 has plenty of power to spin the tracks against resistance even at the 6500 ft level. I haven't used them any higher than that.
If you have any specific questions, let me know and I will try to answer them.

KRtraxx
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Just a note.the newest VTS has adjustable bolt stoppers to lock out as much suspension travel as you want..All of it or just part.Is right on the outside and a snap to adjust if you so desire.No blocks required..Glad you like your VTS..

dirtybiz
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Bob Horrell, thanks alot for the great information. Sounds like they may be the ticket for our S300. It also sounds like they have that problem you mentioned about grading/suspension worked out. That would be key, as we do alot of grading w/our current tracked machine.

How many hours do you have on your tracks, and how many do you think a person can expect to get out of them before replacement? Have you had to replace any parts on yours yet? Thanks again.

KRRtrax, did you get my email, never heard from the guy you spoke of. Thanks.

KSSS how did you get hooked up w/ a set of tracks so cheap?? Have you had to do any replacement on parts w/yours, how many hours? Thanks again.

ksss
01-25-2008, 02:22 AM
I bought my VTS system on Iron Planet. It was a lucky find, they are still in the shrink wrap. I have not mounted them yet. I have a landscaper friend that bought a set off of EBAY and ran them all last year and he really likes them (70XT). His only issue is how wide the machine has become.

bobcat_ron
01-25-2008, 11:48 AM
The VTS system sure ain't cheap here, a local Cat owner went ahaed and bought the set for his 262B, a whopping $20,000 for the 15" track system!!

bobcatexc
01-25-2008, 07:00 PM
Dirtybiz

Theres a set of VTS tracks on ebay right now for 5K says (178 hrs on tracks), look a little more rough then that, but not bad

dirtybiz
01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
I see that, thanks for the heads up. I think maybe the meant 1178 hours? Not to fond of rental equipment, everybody knows how that stuff get's taken care of. :nono:

BIGBEN2004
01-27-2008, 07:31 PM
The VTS system sure ain't cheap here, a local Cat owner went ahaed and bought the set for his 262B, a whopping $20,000 for the 15" track system!!

Did he buy from the Cat dealer? Not to bash Cat in any way but many times other products they sell besides Cat products are over priced IMHO. At least the main Cat dealers in my area do. Their is no way I would spend $20,000 on a set of tracks, they could never return on investment for that kind on cash.

Scag48
01-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Their is no way I would spend $20,000 on a set of tracks, they could never return on investment for that kind on cash.

Even if you did spend $20K, if you already had an existing wheeled machine and wanted a track machine, the $20K is definately a cheaper option to selling what you already own and trading up. Buying new, however, narrows the price gap substantially. The VTS can be had in the states for $15K.

And yes, if you buy anything aftermarket from Cat, it will be more expensive, they have to make money somewhere otherwise they wouldn't do it. I would assume that the $5K increase in price in this situation is due to the travelling across the border and the additional handling of the dealer.

bobcat_ron
01-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Did he buy from the Cat dealer? Not to bash Cat in any way but many times other products they sell besides Cat products are over priced IMHO. At least the main Cat dealers in my area do. Their is no way I would spend $20,000 on a set of tracks, they could never return on investment for that kind on cash.

Straight from Loegering, the shipping rates are the killer and the currency conversion!

ksss
01-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Straight from Loegering, the shipping rates are the killer and the currency conversion!

Just for the record I will sell mine (sized for a 246B and others) new in the shrink wrap for $17,000.00 and I will take them to the border in BC, Alberta, Sask. or Manitoba free of charge.:usflag:

bobcat_ron
01-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I'm sure that would be a killer of a sweet deal but those pesky Border Guards are a bunch of SOB's nowadays.

BIGBEN2004
01-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Find a spot that borders the U.S. and trade them their were no one will see you.

TractionExperts_Service
01-28-2008, 04:52 PM
Hey everyone,

I am a Loegering employee, and wanted to comment on a few things. I work in our service department helping resolve warranty claims and any mechanical questions on Loegering products.

Just to clarify, the suggested retail on a 15" VTS is around $14k depending on what machine you put it on. If the dealer charged $20k that is on the dealers end and probably includes freight.

To comment on the original question, the S300 is an excellent machine with VTS on it. I have personally operated this machine and watched it push a tandem axle dump truck out of 6-8 inches of mud.

Hopefully I can help if you have any questions.

Scag48
01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Welcome aboard, nice to have someone from Loegering to correspond with.

TractionExperts_Service
01-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the welcome, hopefully I can contribute to anyone with questions about our products. Good to be here.

dirtybiz
01-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the response, great to hear from someone from the Co.! Sounds like they are pretty impressive.

TractionExperts_Service
01-28-2008, 05:52 PM
It will be like a new machine.

I also used to work for the Bobcat engineering department so I have experience with their machines.

Let me know if you decide to get one. It is always good to here from users.

dirtybiz
01-28-2008, 06:23 PM
I will, I have been in contact w/Krrtrax about them, great guy to deal with, would highly recommend him to anyone considering these tracks.

BIGBEN2004
01-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Do you recommend putting a set on a case 1845C? I would like to try and find a good used one in the future but need a way to keep from having flat tires on it. The reason I ask is they don't recommend foam filling the tires as it adds too much weight and cracks around the gear case housing. The question is would it handle your track systems if they cant handle foam filled tires?

bobcat_ron
01-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Do you recommend putting a set on a case 1845C? I would like to try and find a good used one in the future but need a way to keep from having flat tires on it. The reason I ask is they don't recommend foam filling the tires as it adds too much weight and cracks around the gear case housing. The question is would it handle your track systems if they cant handle foam filled tires?

You know this is about the VTS, not the Over the tire tracks?

Just for confusion's sake.

BIGBEN2004
01-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Yea I know, they just seem like they would be very heavy and the case has cracking issues so I wonder if they would hold up to the weight and the added stress from the extra traction because of the track undercarriage?

TractionExperts_Service
01-29-2008, 10:48 AM
The VTS is different than the steel track because it distributes the load evenly across both axles. With the steel you can get uneven loads on the front and rear if you are traveling up hills or on side hills. The VTS distributes this load and the suspension components decrease damage from vibration and jarring.

I have not heard of guys having problems with the 1845C with VTS. We have a few out there and nobody has called to complain about them so I take that as a good sign.

The most popular case machine with VTS is the 95XT with 18" tracks. The 1845C would have the compact undercarriage which is lighter and narrower. It would add about 2200 lbs to your machine.

bobcat_ron
01-29-2008, 11:45 AM
My only question is why you guys from Loegering is why can't you get any of the smaller framed skids down to 66" of width over the tracks, that was one of the big turn offs when I was looking for my Cat skid steer, I had to stay on the 66" width category.

All the models I looked at had only 69", even with the 12.5" tracks.

TractionExperts_Service
01-29-2008, 12:16 PM
In order to keep the track away from the frame of the skid steer we have to have it spaced out farther. If we didn't space it out, the track would rub on the skid steer body.

We recently unveiled our new VTS system at World of Concrete for smaller skid steers, 40 hp and up. This product will be available sometime this year. We are currently in testing. These will fit into the smaller market so that the width issues won't be a problem.

dozerman21
01-29-2008, 03:47 PM
Our Case dealership didn't recommend the VTS system for our 1845C. They said the VTS would add too much weight that would strain the machine too much over time. They said the VTS was intended for some of the bigger XT Series and newer models. I'm sure guys can/do use them on an 1845, but I would be afraid of long term damage. That's a lot of weight for a machine that size.

ksss
01-29-2008, 05:35 PM
Our Case dealership didn't recommend the VTS system for our 1845C. They said the VTS would add too much weight that would strain the machine too much over time. They said the VTS was intended for some of the bigger XT Series and newer models. I'm sure guys can/do use them on an 1845, but I would be afraid of long term damage. That's a lot of weight for a machine that size.

Probably another saving grace is the fact that the machine only runs 56 hp.

bobcatexc
01-31-2008, 07:30 PM
TractionExpert_Service, KTRAX or Whomever, I have a couple of quesions for you guys.

Currently I run a Bobcat 773G (S185) 56HP with Loegering OTT steel tracks and would like to upgrade to a CTL and have been thinking of the Deere CT322, the problem I can't justify 35K right now because I've only got 600-700hrs on my current machine which got thinking about the VTS. How well does the Bobcat 773(S185) handle the VTS, do you guys know does it robb alot of power.

So my next question, on the VTS website the spec chart shows different track lengths for different models is this something that can be easly adjusted, so say a 1,000hrs later I decide it's time to trade the Bobcat and go with a Deere 320 will the same tracks work.

Construct'O
01-31-2008, 07:49 PM
For the early Bobcats on here i think they talked about the drive chains needed to be heavy on the older models like you have.I'm sure other will be able to tell you here soon.:usflag:

TractionExperts_Service
02-01-2008, 10:31 AM
The 773/S185 would be a 12" wide or 15" wide track your choice. The frames are adjustable, but the Bobcat VTS are Bobcat specific. You would not be able to change to a JD 320 without considerable expense in changing the frame and the track. The same VTS would fit on the S150, S160, S175, S185, and S205. It would go between these machines with no modification.

patpls
02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Traction, I read that there will be a new model of vts for lower hp machines later in the year, would you recommend the current model or new model for a 46hp Bob cat 763? We're doing all the normal landscape stuff, 1/3 excav, 1/3 moving pallets 1/3 everything else. Tried the tracks at the Construction Expo in Stillwater on a 205 and was WOWED, but it's either a new machine or the vts this year, will I be sad with a set of 12" on a 763?

TractionExperts_Service
02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
The 763 is going to be a little under powered if you do not have the turbo. My suggestion would be to wait for the new smaller VTS later this year. The advantages to you would be less weight, wider track, and less power loss. The new smaller VTS will have a wider track much like the track on the ASV machines. This is much better suited for the landscaping application and you will be much happier with the smaller VTS.

The new one should be available sometime this year. Most likely third quarter.

I worked at the construction show in Stillwater, what a sloppy mud hole that place was.

patpls
02-01-2008, 11:28 AM
TES, I thought you guys made it rain so there would be some fun terrain to practice on!! I genuinely offer to help test your new small tracks in real life situations! So don't be afraid to call!!

TractionExperts_Service
02-01-2008, 11:31 AM
It did work out well for us. We didn't get anything stuck all week and had to help push out all of those trucks, and some wheeled skid steers beside us.

The testing of the smaller units is in the final stages and I don't believe we are sending any more units for testing. The service department here is expecting to get ours in a couple of months to write the service and owners manuals. Should be a great product.

KRtraxx
02-01-2008, 11:48 AM
The 773/S185 would be a 12" wide or 15" wide track your choice. The frames are adjustable, but the Bobcat VTS are Bobcat specific. You would not be able to change to a JD 320 without considerable expense in changing the frame and the track. The same VTS would fit on the S150, S160, S175, S185, and S205. It would go between these machines with no modification.

Traction, I beg to differ with you on this point..Only on the large frame Bobcat is the VTS frame Bobcat specific.There is no expense involved switching over to a Deere 320 other than the trackbands and some adjustments..I rechecked my info on this point this morning with Mears the Loegering rep.also.

KRtraxx
02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Hi Traction, I read that there will be a new model of vts for lower hp machines later in the year, would you recommend the current model or new model for a 46hp Bob cat 763? We're doing all the normal landscape stuff, 1/3 excav, 1/3 moving pallets 1/3 everything else. Tried the tracks at the Construction Expo in Stillwater on a 205 and was WOWED, but it's either a new machine or the vts this year, will I be sad with a set of 12" on a 763?

patpls..I have sold 12" units on a 160 New Holland which is 43HP..It is ok for lifting and stability..But it IS short on HP for pushing and such....

TractionExperts_Service
02-01-2008, 11:59 AM
KRtraxx, you are correct on the 773 going to a 320. I was mistakingly looking at the older version which had the offset sprocket. The new ones are a flat sprocket and can be converted to the JD with only a track replacement. Sorry for the confusion.

bobcatexc, if you decide to buy a small VTS which would be excellent on your current machine, make sure the sprocket is flat, this will ensure that it will fit on the JD if you decide to buy one in the future.

KRtraxx
02-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Probably another saving grace is the fact that the machine only runs 56 hp.

Some guys are doing it...It could use some more HP granted.. You would be amazed how many 1845s Case sold over the years....and how many are still out there working...

ksss
02-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Some guys are doing it...It could use some more HP granted.. You would be amazed how many 1845s Case sold over the years....and how many are still out there working...

Actually the 1845 is largest selling model of any skid steer made (granted it was made in some form for a long time). If you check the resale value of these machines, you can see they are still in high demand.

BIGBEN2004
02-01-2008, 09:58 PM
They are one of my favorite skid steers that is why I asked about tracks on them. Even if I cant get tracks on one they make for a great wheeled machine anyways.