PDA

View Full Version : Demo fees

Mike M
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
For those who demo;

Do you charge a fee, if so, how much?

My first mailer had "keep this for a free demo" I sent out 1400 and closed three nice jobs directly from the demo's.

I just completed another quantummail order for the same 1400 plus 600 more, this time with free consultation, demo $65.

I will keep anyone interested posted on the response details in the next few weeks.

For anyone interested in the Mike M things blowing off my truck saga, yesterday I lost a roller box full of materials, connectors, and some tools including my new amp probe. My wife had to work at 3:30, so I rushed home and forgot to close my gate. Funny, I knew I didn't visually "clear" the back before entering the truck--an old habbit from my landscaping days. I will anymore! Stuff never found. :hammerhead:

Mike M

Pro-Scapes
01-16-2008, 11:03 PM
im going to bet you gtet half the calls from charging the demo. But... I bet they are more quality ones and less price shoppers.

Of all the demos you been doing latley whats the closing percentage on em ?

I wouldnt list a price on the post card. I would let em call... go meet with em... if they dont buy with no demo and they are on the bubble or question your design then offer the demo for 65 or whatever then credit that twoards the installation.

On the tailgate... smooth move exlax.... what you gonna do now for us ? garggle some peanut butter ? lol just playing... I have done some oops things before too. We all have. I think my best one was driving 20 min to a job and looking back and noticing I forgot to hitch up the trailer.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 08:50 AM
Mike, I don't do demos as you probably know by now, nor do I market with mass mailings. I do however suffer from CRS (Can't Remember S--t) also known as CRAFT (Can't Remember A F-ing Thing). As a result I have occassionally driven away with my tailgate open... enough times now that I actually have begun to curse GM for not installing a simple pressure switch on the tailgate to trigger a warning lamp on the dash. I mean really, how simple would that be? My truck already has enough electronic gizmos and do-hickeys that it is probably thinking on its own anyways! My worst tailgate loss ever was a box filled with power tools... about $1500 worth.... at least I got all new tools that day, so maybe the glass was half full?

In regards to the demo fee. 1: Raise it! what do you get for $65 these days? Certainly not a top notch lighting designer setting up a demonstration at your convenience at your home!! You need to value yourself more my friend.

I would take the price off the mailer, and then when you are prequalifying the client let them know that a demo comes at a cost. If they buy the system the cost is discounted from the system price. Make the cost of the demo worth your time.... $200+ I would hope. (The hidden long term benefit of this is that you will be able to write down those fees as a discount on your books. ask your accountant)

Here I charge cold call prospects a "consultation fee" for my first visit with them. I also charge a "design fee" to all my clients which covers my initial meetings, site visits, design time, etc. Last time I checked, I wasnt getting anything for free or discounts from my Lawyers, Accountants, Dentist, etc etc.

Mike M
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
curse GM for not installing a simple pressure switch on the tailgate to trigger a warning lamp on the dash. I mean really, how simple would that be? My truck already has enough electronic gizmos and do-hickeys that it is probably thinking on its own anyways! My worst tailgate loss ever was a box filled with power tools... about $1500 worth.... at least I got all new tools that day, so maybe the glass was half full?

:laugh:

This was my exact conversation with my helper!!

As far as professional fees, you and Pete may have a lot more in common than you think.

I have a question for myself: why do I ask for advice after I execute ideas? Postcards were ordered last night with price printed. My first round went out last month with "free demo, (reg $65)" After the present one, I plan on going back to "keep this for a free demo (reg $65)" (with the same list).

Once my networking/exposure/referrals takes foot, I will have less time for free demo's and may charge accordingly to compensate for opportunity cost.

Great advice, but next time try to anticipate what I'm thinking and doing a few days before I post my info.

Mike M

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 10:01 AM
Hey Sure Mike, no problem buddy.... I will get right on that. Perhaps some form of long distance Vulcan Mind Meld would work.

As for going back to "keep this for a free demo (reg $65)" on your next mailer.... well hmmm how do I put this so you will get it? NO NO NO NO NO !

If anything at all, you should state; "keep this for a free demo (reg. $250)"

It took my advisers a long time to drill into me the real value of my time, expertise and talent. Please Mike DO NOT UNDERVALUE YOURSELF.

Bill Locklin had an amazing one line piece of advice that he regularly shared. Your homework for today is to do some digging and report back here with that advice.

Regards.

extlights
01-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Buy a Ford. Our F150 that has the reverse sensing system starts beeping if you put the truck in gear and the tailgate is down.

We don't charge for demo's....I look at it this way. If we were new in the business and didn't have the capital to send out mailers we would be hitting the pavement anyway and doing cold calls. Time, money, gas....all expenses that would be a factor in that as well. At least with demo's they are calling us and we can pre-qualify them over the phone before we head out to their house. Charging for demos isn't a bad thing, just something we haven't adopted yet....I suppose when it gets to the point where we might be completely wasting our time, then maybe.....but if you have a strong phone presentation and pre-qualifiying skills then you can turn those phone leads into good demos which will then sell the project. I feel it's all based upon your sales ability. Just my opinion though.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Buy a Ford. Our F150 that has the reverse sensing system starts beeping if you put the truck in gear and the tailgate is down.

I suppose I could buy a FixOrRepairDaily, but then I would have to drive a Ford every day! :dizzy:

That reverse sensor system sounds cool, except I really don't drive around much in reverse! What happens when you pull out in forward with the tailgate open?

:)

extlights
01-17-2008, 11:00 AM
The reverse sensing system works great. What I was saying that if the tailgate is down, it will start beeping when it's put into gear....any gear...not just reverse. Those trucks are bulletproof in my mind. Our 04' has just over 100K miles on it...about 70K of those are pulling an enclosed trailer and it's been perfect. Never had any problems. Just like anything else though, if you keep it up on maintenance it will last a long time....kind of like a lighting system!

Pro-Scapes
01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Where Dave is at it will rust out before even a Ford dies. When I was in college near him I had an 87 dodge daytona... 60k miles on it and looked good and ran great but pull up the floormats and there was a hole the size of kansas. I think I rememeber "borrowing" some old road signs and riveting them in as floorboards. Afterall... how many rusted our street signs have you seen.

68k on my silverado... no issues to date besides the regular stuff like brakes... couple of lamps and tires.

JoeyD
01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Where Dave is at it will rust out before even a Ford dies. When I was in college near him I had an 87 dodge daytona... 60k miles on it and looked good and ran great but pull up the floormats and there was a hole the size of kansas. I think I rememeber "borrowing" some old road signs and riveting them in as floorboards. Afterall... how many rusted our street signs have you seen.

68k on my silverado... no issues to date besides the regular stuff like brakes... couple of lamps and tires.

let me guess, you had to change out your running lamps? Is it just me or does every Chevy truck on the road only have one driving light working?

Pro-Scapes
01-17-2008, 02:53 PM
nope one was the cyclops light and one was a reg brake light. We just bought Ash a new honda and it has the running lamps too... But the stupid thing dont have auto headlamps. If she didnt love it I would of taken it back just bacause of that.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
let me guess, you had to change out your running lamps? Is it just me or does every Chevy truck on the road only have one driving light working?

:laugh: You know Joey, I think you are right. I always notice late model Chev and GMC trucks running down the road with one DRL (daytime running light) out. It hasn't been a problem for me yet... but I get a new one every 18mos or so. Maybe that is the ticket? If a lamp burns out, just get a new one?:laugh:

Pro-Scapes
01-17-2008, 03:29 PM
:laugh: You know Joey, I think you are right. I always notice late model Chev and GMC trucks running down the road with one DRL (daytime running light) out. It hasn't been a problem for me yet... but I get a new one every 18mos or so. Maybe that is the ticket? If a lamp burns out, just get a new one?:laugh:

mine are still fine (i think) but when one goes out I replace em in pairs. A burned out lamp is no reason to drive a fa fa fa ford joey. That would be like me switching to malibu just because my you-knee-kuh needed a relamp lol

extlights
01-17-2008, 04:51 PM
No bulbs have burnt out on the Ford yet. I would buy a Chevy if....if...if, I guess I can't think of a reason to buy one..nevermind.

eskerlite
01-17-2008, 11:52 PM
On my 30th FORD right now. Never has one stranded me or I it. 31 years as best selling truck. What are they doing right? Everything. Chevys are great for taking grandmas for a ride because of the soft ride. No work truck has a soft ride. All horsepower no torque from a chevy. Not a work truck. GM Generaly Misereble. Dont get me going on the DODGES!
Sean C.:dancing:

TXNSLighting
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM
ha! Ford man here. but i drive a GMC Duramax diesel. And yes i do like it, but i still prefer the fords. never once left me stranded, or with a huge repair bill. ( my previous dodge did both!) We'll see how the GMC treats me!

JoeyD
01-18-2008, 12:31 PM
mine are still fine (i think) but when one goes out I replace em in pairs. A burned out lamp is no reason to drive a fa fa fa ford joey. That would be like me switching to malibu just because my you-knee-kuh needed a relamp lol

The lamps not a reason to drive a ford. The reason to drive a ford is when you haul a 12,000 lb trailer!!! I love my Fords!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/desertpics009.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Picture663.jpg

irrig8r
01-18-2008, 07:52 PM
But Joey, where's the Edsel? :)

Pro-Scapes
01-18-2008, 08:04 PM
On my 30th FORD right now. Never has one stranded me or I it. 31 years as best selling truck. What are they doing right? Everything. Chevys are great for taking grandmas for a ride because of the soft ride. No work truck has a soft ride. All horsepower no torque from a chevy. Not a work truck. GM Generaly Misereble. Dont get me going on the DODGES!
Sean C.:dancing:

if your on your 30th I would hope you have not had a prob that means your replacing em quite often lol.

Mike M
01-18-2008, 09:40 PM
I just like the free trial syrius subscription. When it runs out, maybe I'll keep trading in for new ones to avoid the subscription rates.

eskerlite
01-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Going back 25-30 years for 30 Fords. Have had up to 8 at one time. It all started for me with a 72 Maverick with a 302. Now its a 2001 focus, 2005 explorer,2003 f-350,2002
f-550, 2002 ranger and a 2001 Sterling 6 wheeler. Ive had GMs, 86 Fiero gt, 87 buick Grand National. Fiero was ok but the fit and finish on the buick was horrible. I was a Pontiac mechanic once also and a Ford salesman. Go figure. Sean C.:cool2:

JoeyD
01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Going back 25-30 years for 30 Fords. Have had up to 8 at one time. It all started for me with a 72 Maverick with a 302. Now its a 2001 focus, 2005 explorer,2003 f-350,2002
f-550, 2002 ranger and a 2001 Sterling 6 wheeler. Ive had GMs, 86 Fiero gt, 87 buick Grand National. Fiero was ok but the fit and finish on the buick was horrible. I was a Pontiac mechanic once also and a Ford salesman. Go figure. Sean C.:cool2:

I would love to have that Grand National!!!

Towing this bad boy requires some reliable power, and there isnt a better motor than the 7.3PSD Ford had until 2002.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/desertpics009.jpg

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Joey, I don't a picture of it yet but wait till you see my 30' Doral Prestancia, on my new Excalibur Tandem, hooked up to my Chev Silverado.... It is pretty wild... Sort of like a Cooper Mini hauling a house. (I bet my boat goes faster then your RV!... Wanna arm wrestle?)

JoeyD
01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
I bet whats inside the RV goes faster than your boat????

Heres what I used to pull my trailer with.
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/JoeyD6607027.jpg
It worked OK. It was scary to think though that when you pull something that much bigger than your truck especially a 1/2 ton that the trailer will take that little vehicle anywhere it wants to go if you have to turn sudenly. My big Super Duty makes me feel secure.......when pulling that is!!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-21-2008, 03:22 PM
I bet whats inside the RV goes faster than your boat????

Clearly you have not spoken with the Mrs. about that! :laugh:

Does your RV have a fully mirrored "aft cabin"? :laugh:

JoeyD
01-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Hey dont try and drag me into your problems James! LOL.....But the RV is actually a "Toy Hauler" so what I was meaning was the toy is faster not my "toy".....

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/desertpics012-1.jpg
The back folds down!

Is this what Billy meant about staying on topic?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Hey dont try and drag me into your problems James! LOL.....But the RV is actually a "Toy Hauler" so what I was meaning was the toy is faster not my "toy".....

The back folds down!

Is this what Billy meant about staying on topic?

Last time I checked, it was pretty universal that girls like men with big boats Joey, I never heard nuthin' bout girls liking men with fast toys! :laugh:

JoeyD
01-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Maybe it's a Canadian thing. See here in the USA our Boats are big and FAST!
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/JoeyD6607069.jpg

Fast toys may not get the chicks but going fast and jumping does!!
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/CORR508.jpg

While I'm at it here's Nate's little 30ft River Boat.....Yeah its big and fast too!! LOL
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/NateBoat.jpg

Lets see some pics of your set up James...it sounds cool.........

Billy are we off topic enough for you yet???

Pro-Scapes
01-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Yeah I would say so since no one cares about my off topic thread. I could make a bunch of comments here but im gonna sit this slam session out or we could take this up in emails

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Slam session? I thought we were bragging about who has the bigger, faster toys! :)

Pro-Scapes
01-21-2008, 06:01 PM
oops im retracting that statement

JoeyD
01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey James so are you going to take that pie out of the oven and join us for dinner Wed. night. I know you like to get settled but I promise we dont bite!! LOL :drinkup::drinkup:

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
We will have to see Joey, depends on the day, the flight, my mood, etc etc. Not trying to be rude or anything, I appreciate the invite.

Regards.