PDA

View Full Version : Ford F450 Just Died

Landrus2
01-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Ford f450 power stroke diesel just died this morning. won't start Iím going to start a diagnostic text tomorrow .these guys are not easy to work on any ideas out there

Jason Rose
01-16-2008, 10:55 PM
I'd say your problem may be that it needs to be under the hood to run right... Or, your engine fell out... Hey, I found it!

LindblomRJ
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
Is it a 7.3 or 6.0 7.3 I would check Camshaft position sensor.

Or is the picture of a replacement engine?

J&R Landscaping
01-16-2008, 11:01 PM
What about some details. Year, 7.3 or 6.0, how many miles on it? When did it run last and how did it perform? Is that a new shortblock from ford or what? It don't look like it just came out of a truck!

Landrus2
01-16-2008, 11:58 PM
What did you do to my engine? :drinkup:

Jason Rose
01-17-2008, 12:03 AM
Dang, you caught me... I tried to steal it to replace the gas sucking V-10 in my Dodge. But I couldn't quite lift it... Oh, could you pick up my nuts and send them to me... I seem to have dropped them when I tried to lift that engine.

Landrus2
01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
With all do respect if you guys could help me you would know that is not a 6.0 or a short block but thank you for trying that is what counts:drinkup:

Landrus2
01-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Very well I will send them on a small envelope.:drinkup:

Breezmister
01-17-2008, 01:10 AM
Ford f450 power stroke diesel just died this morning. won't start Iím going to start a diagnostic text tomorrow .these guys are not easy to work on any ideas out there

I'd start at the fuel solenoid. What little I know of diesels, is that as long as it is getting fuel, it will run.

Robebob
01-17-2008, 02:42 AM
ok disreguard breezmisters remark, the 7.3 DI turbo or the 6.0 DI turbo doesent have a fuel shut off valve, i hate it when people who have no idea what they are talking about put their 2 cents in when it doesent even apply. it its a 7.3, 8 out of 10 its probalby a camshaft position sensor, the other 20 percent could be a host of things, to check the cam sensor just look at your rpm gauge on the dash, it should move to 150 or 200 rpm depending on the outside temperature and engine coolant temp, but it must have a mininum of 150 rpm and 500 psi of ICP(injecton control pressure) for the injector to fire as controlled by the engines computer, if the rpm gause works it could be an IPR valve that suck or maby somthing electrical. ford has a recall on all cam sensors, it can be fixed for free if the cam sensor is the problem doesent matter of mileage as far as im aware, im a diesel mechainc at a ford dealer so check with your local dealer. give me some more info as to when it acts up, if it fires up in the morning and then cuts out or dies but will start up after cooling off its probably (95% SURE) a cam sensor.... if its a 6.0 bring it to the dealer because the conrtols that allow the engine to start are much more complex than the 7.3 and you have to have the dealers scanner to diagnose with out a doubt. dont get cheap and bring it to a mom and pop shop, they will be changing parts for days for nothing, ive seen too many change parts according to trouble codes and the codes have nothing to do with the problem all they are are the effect of the problem not the root!

Gravel Rat
01-17-2008, 03:39 AM
That first picture is a 7.3 PSD a 6.0 has a oil filter housing and secondary fuel filter housing in the valley of the engine.

As for the problem a CPS gives you warning signs that it is starting to go like stalling the old time. With a 7.3 it is really oil dependant if you run the wrong type of engine oil or oil hasn't been changed in a long time or it is really low the engine just won't run right. The injection system uses the engine oil to operate the fuel injectors.

If its a 6.0 truck low fuel pressure will not allow the truck to start so if your fuel filters are clogged then she won't start.

lwcmattlifter
01-17-2008, 07:35 PM
That engine looks like a late model intercooled 7.3.

You need to give us more info. Does the engine crank? Do you get a reading on the tach when cranking? Have you checked the fuses?

Landrus2
01-18-2008, 06:18 PM
Engine cranks fine have signal of the cpm with in limits my last diagnostic shows that high oil pressure is out of range tomorrow Iím going to look into that:drinkup:

TXNSLighting
01-18-2008, 06:52 PM
my gosh your very descriptve...If its not the CPS, then its fuel or oil. your pump could be bad. your not being very helpful.

Landrus2
01-19-2008, 11:51 AM
What scanner do you use on your truck?
ICP 150PSI
IPR65%
RMP176
FUELPW43US
I hope this clears any confusion. you make it sound so easy synchronizer, oil, or fuel:drinkup:

qps
01-19-2008, 05:48 PM
mine just recently did the same thing..the wiring that fires the injectors runs under the valve cover and will wear over the years, my is an 01 and when it happens it just quits and will show a code of not firing....this is just one place to look...

Landrus2
01-19-2008, 06:11 PM
That is not very conmen, the motor will run on four cylinders poorly, but will run so that must be a all no go on all 8. if you have a leaky injector that will make it not to start do to oil pressure wont build up.:drinkup:

Travel'n Trees
01-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Injector pump, too short wires around valve covers, fuel filter, ecm, wire harness, cam sensor, bad turbo, cam sensor, These are all common problems and are on technical service bulletins, that can cause this problem. All of these and more went out on mine before 3000 miles.

LindblomRJ
01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Take it to a mechanic who knows what they are doing. Its clear you are lost in the woods.

BZB_Helpers
01-19-2008, 07:08 PM
you need the ICP to be 500psi to start. Your IPR duty cycle is 65%(the maximum). Crank to start IPR duty cycle should be less than 30%. You have a leak somewhere, either your IPR orings, injector orings.

Landrus2
01-20-2008, 11:08 AM
Problem solved the diesel thank was empty.:laugh:

Changed the fuel pressure regulator bam fired right up:drinkup: