PDA

View Full Version : What types of oil and weight do you use and why?

dcwservices
01-17-2008, 03:26 AM
Iam looking for some advice as to what type of oils and weights and fluids to use on my equipment. Also if anyone has any types of additives or anything like that that would help out. Please, give me some helpful info here, it would be greatly appreciated! Iam looking for a name brand and weight for each individual piece of equipment.

21" Snapper with a 5.5 Honda
36" home owner Hustler with a Kohler
2 Red Max trimmers
Stihl Backpack
Red Max 8001 backpack
Homelite Hedge Trimmer
Stihl Expandable Pole saw
Hydraulic pump for dump trailer

topsites
01-17-2008, 04:00 AM
I use 10w-30 Synthetic (at least synth.blend) in everything.
Any brand, price is the leading decision factor.

Here's why:
- Less seizure / low oil / black oil related problems.
> Great protection on inclines, redline rpm's, and off-season / outside of maintenance period use.
- One grade of oil, no more guessing what goes where.
- It is a superior oil to begin with.
- The cost outweighs the benefits, engines run better, longer.

10w-30 just happens to be the best compromise, the cars would run 5w-30 and one or the other engine will run 10w-40 easy but either is too thick for some the other too thin for others, 10w-30 is my 1-size-fits-all grade of choice.

> I don't recommend switching brands between changes.

tomo
01-17-2008, 07:28 AM
hello,
kohler 25hp 10--40 eng oil semi synthetic

why 10 w ?? u ask
kohler has a very small oil pump although 15 w in a standard engine is ok
i run a remote filter and a very very large oil cooler and long lines [need a thin oil on start up ]
my day time temp 65-110f over 95 for 3mths

40w
older engine
high day temps

semisynthetic due to cost
50hr oil change
because mowers operate in a dusty enviroment is the reason for service interval of 50 hr

MOST PEOPLE DO NOT under stand this but mower engines have very small sumps eg 2 quarts This effectively recirculates the oil many mant times . Without the additional capacity ******the oil is tortured ***********

Change oil at 50 hrs with semi synthetic problem solved

There is one MORE
WHO KNOWS WHAT OIL TEMP THERE ENGINE IS RUNNING AT ???
MOST 99% of people do not know and most do not care , but when it effects there $$$$ different story ,read on .

THERE IS NO OIL THAT WILL TOLERATE TEMPS OVER 212 F CONSTANTLY
period
semi syn and full synthetic although they deal with spikes in temp ok they still break down but just slower than a mineral

Best practice is to change oil early eg another reason for 50 hr changes

Air cooled engines run 240--260 f sump temps [hot climate 52 and larger decks ,med to high loads etc]

CONCLUSION -- a oil that is broken down cannot protect the engine from wear properly .
Reduce the temp and oil lasts with better protection and causes your engine to last longer saving dollars $$$$

PS an oil that is 10/30 and is advertised as a fuel economy enhancing type can be compromised in regards to the maximum protection for the engine .

tomo:waving:

grass_cuttin_fool
01-17-2008, 08:28 AM
I use Shell Rottella 15w/40 in everything, it is a good heavy duty oil. I change oil and filters @ 50 hours and I have lots of hours and no failures.

I dont care for oil additives but I do like Seafoam in my gas and especially 2 cycle mix, it is a water dispersement and also helps to keep down carbon deposits, and also it works as a fuel stabilizer also

wayne

Happy Frog
01-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Formula 4-Stroke® 10W-30/SAE 30 Synthetic Small Engine Oil (ASE)
because it's one of the best all around oil I found.
I use it in all my small engines (4 strokes)

For the pre-mix, I use Amsoil Saber™ Professional Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil (ATP) and Echo Power Blend.
Same reason for using it.

Ridin' Around
01-17-2008, 01:17 PM
hello,
kohler 25hp 10--40 eng oil semi synthetic

why 10 w ?? u ask
kohler has a very small oil pump although 15 w in a standard engine is ok
i run a remote filter and a very very large oil cooler and long lines [need a thin oil on start up ]
my day time temp 65-110f over 95 for 3mths

40w
older engine
high day temps

semisynthetic due to cost
50hr oil change
because mowers operate in a dusty enviroment is the reason for service interval of 50 hr

MOST PEOPLE DO NOT under stand this but mower engines have very small sumps eg 2 quarts This effectively recirculates the oil many mant times . Without the additional capacity ******the oil is tortured ***********

Change oil at 50 hrs with semi synthetic problem solved

There is one MORE
WHO KNOWS WHAT OIL TEMP THERE ENGINE IS RUNNING AT ???
MOST 99% of people do not know and most do not care , but when it effects there $$$$ different story ,read on .

THERE IS NO OIL THAT WILL TOLERATE TEMPS OVER 212 F CONSTANTLY
period
semi syn and full synthetic although they deal with spikes in temp ok they still break down but just slower than a mineral

Best practice is to change oil early eg another reason for 50 hr changes

Air cooled engines run 240--260 f sump temps [hot climate 52 and larger decks ,med to high loads etc]

CONCLUSION -- a oil that is broken down cannot protect the engine from wear properly .
Reduce the temp and oil lasts with better protection and causes your engine to last longer saving dollars $$$$

PS an oil that is 10/30 and is advertised as a fuel economy enhancing type can be compromised in regards to the maximum protection for the engine .

tomo:waving:

http://http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/ase.aspx
This is the oil that I run exclusively in My Lawn Equipment, winter and summer. No exceptions Amsoil provides superior protection and no comprimises. Sure it's a little more than the wally world super brand that many of you love, But my stuff is gonna last. My Z is starting its 9th mowing season. My 318 is going on 17 years of use. When some of you guys get machines with some (real hours and years of service) on them then we can dispute oils!

dcwservices
01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
keep em coming

AmsoilPower
01-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Exactly what Happy Frog said---Amsoil ASE 4-stroke oil. This is the best all-around small engine oil. One oil for all your mowers-----a no brainer. This oil can even be used in transmissions/hydros that require 10W-30. Engines run cooler w/ synthetics = longer lasting engines. You will not get the extended drain intervals with a small engine oil regardless of brand. What you will get is a high quality oil that will not break down in the heat of summer.

Go with Amsoil 2-cycle oil as well. Check all the posts about what is said about Amsoil products, you will not be disappointed. Yes, I am a dealer and I can answer any ?????'s you may have.

tamadrummer
01-17-2008, 09:46 PM
Exactly what Happy Frog said---Amsoil ASE 4-stroke oil. This is the best all-around small engine oil. One oil for all your mowers-----a no brainer. This oil can even be used in transmissions/hydros that require 10W-30. Engines run cooler w/ synthetics = longer lasting engines. You will not get the extended drain intervals with a small engine oil regardless of brand. What you will get is a high quality oil that will not break down in the heat of summer.

Go with Amsoil 2-cycle oil as well. Check all the posts about what is said about Amsoil products, you will not be disappointed. Yes, I am a dealer and I can answer any ?????'s you may have.

Sorry to hijack but HEY AmsoilPower, I emailed your company over a month ago and have heard nothing back. bnblawns@gmail.com I would like to buy from you since you are on here and sponsoring this site but I cannot if I don't have the required info.

I will go into everything cars, mowers etc. I need to do a transmission service on my truck and need to do a hydro on my mower, 10 hour break in is now over due.....

grass disaster
01-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Sorry to hijack but HEY AmsoilPower, I emailed your company over a month ago and have heard nothing back. bnblawns@gmail.com I would like to buy from you since you are on here and sponsoring this site but I cannot if I don't have the required info.

I will go into everything cars, mowers etc. I need to do a transmission service on my truck and need to do a hydro on my mower, 10 hour break in is now over due.....

I'd break it in longer than that.

i'd probably go for 50 hours. 10 hours is not very long

tamadrummer
01-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I'd break it in longer than that.

i'd probably go for 50 hours. 10 hours is not very long

Just following the manual. It calls for a 10 hour hydro break-in. The dealer sales man told me 1000 hours. When I read the manual I was shocked to say the least. I am at 20 hours and I would like to use Amsoil from the lawnsite dealer and not Napa.

AmsoilPower
01-17-2008, 10:26 PM

Please, if anyone wants info, contact me thru LS. I guarantee I will help you!!!

J&T Kiev
01-17-2008, 10:35 PM

I've been an Amsoil man for years, its poured into both my personal and company trucks (and my wife's car).
I purchase and use both of the afore named Amsoil products mentioned in your post , I "completely, thoroughly agree" with your insightful analysis of both Amsoil products

stevie b
01-20-2008, 12:49 PM
great info on oils ,i have 48"bob cat mower should i use 87 octane or 92?

justractors
01-24-2008, 02:46 PM
I have been a Golf Course Equipment Manager for about 15 years now and have been using AMS Oil 15W40 in every 4 cycle engine I have had the displeasure of working on. 100 hour drains on gasoline engines and 250 hour drains on all diesel engines. The engines are all serviced on schedule without exception from decarbonizing to valve adjustments to tin removal and cleaning to coolant drain and refill.

I have yet to have an engine failure on a liquid cooled engine and have had many with over 6000 hours on them.

I have had to replace a few air cooled engines that just plum wore out with 4500 + hours and have had others with over 6000 hours on them with no problems.

As far as fuel octane I use 87 in all gasoline engines except the 2 cycles get 89 with the AMS Oil 50 to 1.

Bill

dave k
01-24-2008, 03:17 PM
What sets the AMSOIL apart from other oils, like valvoline, etc? Just wondering, and if its so good why can't you buy it at an autostore?

Ridin' Around
01-24-2008, 03:49 PM
What sets the AMSOIL apart from other oils, like valvoline, etc? Just wondering, and if its so good why can't you buy it at an autostore?

It's sold only through independent dealers. Now some dealers do set up Retail locations and some people buy it at those retail stores. Amsoil is Multi-Level-Marketing. Good or bad. Opinions will fly here______________.
What does come out of that is thet you buy your oil directly from a dealer. Just like when service was service in the old days! Now some dealers are better than others, no doubt. There is a good one on here, use him he is a sponsor, or I can give you the name of mine if you need. A dealer can make informed recomendations and help make heads or tails of the latest technology and industry trends. You can't find anyone at walmart that can help like that. That alone is a good reason for me to get something from a dealer.
Most big oil companies spend their $ on advertising. Amsoil doesn't have as great an advertising budget. They let the dealers do the advertising for themselves and then the dealers hopefully make a little money for themselves. The best way to buy is a Commercial account. If you use oil as a part of your business, you buy at a dealer's cost(wholesale). Talk to the dealer on here, if you need other help PM me and I'll get you the info for my dealer.

dave k
01-24-2008, 04:34 PM
Ridin around, I sent you a PM.
Dave

Roger
01-24-2008, 11:33 PM

I can buy the most popular Amsoil products at a couple of local NAPA stores. Perhaps they get it from a local dealer, I don't know. But, I can walk in buy what I want, pay, and walk out with product in hand.

AmsoilPower
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
I can buy the most popular Amsoil products at a couple of local NAPA stores. Perhaps they get it from a local dealer, I don't know. But, I can walk in buy what I want, pay, and walk out with product in hand.

Somewhere, some past day a dealer walked into that Napa and set them up as a retail account. That is the problem, however. Most of these stores do not carry the complete line of products and some probably sell it at a premium price. They (retail accounts) cannot sell below SRP, period. Amsoil's policy is to not allow the product to be "whored" out in big box stores. Stores with more than 12 locations with the same owner cannot sell at retail. Reason----to protect the little dealer (me) who spends $$$$ promoting, advertising and selling for myself and the company. Sounds like a good company to me......they want me to make money or at least try to without worrying about which wallyworld is selling it next.

I will email anyone a commercial price list that wants it!!!!!!!!

mowing grass 1111
01-25-2008, 01:18 AM
for my work truck and equipment i use whatever the manuf requires . for my mustang which has a $14,500 longblock sitting between the strut tower it gets synthetics and changed 1,000 miles