PDA

View Full Version : Having a problem mixing 46-0-0

xtremelawn
01-17-2008, 12:55 PM
I have a 200 gal lesco tank. When i am mixing my 46-0-0 it seem to always clog up my tank. I try do pour it in as slow as possible but it does not dissolve fast enough an pile up at the bottom of the tank. What am i doing wrong. Is there a better way to mix it?

LawnTamer
01-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Try using warm water, or leave the strainer in and work the urea through the strainer.

dougaustreim
01-17-2008, 02:37 PM
One of our trucks seemed to always have the same problem until we figured out that the outflow opening in the tank was directly below the fill. we moved the opening to the end of the tank so that the material does'nt drop directly into the hose.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

ted putnam
01-17-2008, 03:02 PM
One of our trucks seemed to always have the same problem until we figured out that the outflow opening in the tank was directly below the fill. we moved the opening to the end of the tank so that the material does'nt drop directly into the hose.

Doug
Austreim Landscaping

I had the same problem on one of my tanks. I turned one of the jets to where it points directly over the main suction. It didn't completely solve the problem but helped a bunch. I still have to pour it in slower. I also listen to the pump. It changes it's sound when it begins to labor. When I hear this change I immediately slow the amount I am pouring in.Taking a little more time beats unclogging a tank.

americanlawn
01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Hey dude -- I started w/ChemLawn in Dallas in the late 70's. I started my own company back here in 1990. I bought the best 46-0-0 (Scotts) for mixing with water, but I still experienced the same thing. Since then, we switched to liquid fert, and we never had a prob since. Nutraflo -- good stuff.

Landrus2
01-17-2008, 06:16 PM
Go liquid :cry

grassguy_
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
NOt sure if your tank has the strainer set up inside the liquid but when we added 46 we would usually dissolve it into the tank when adding water through the strainer. It would take abit of time but far less time than having to clear the plugged line. I know when we have a bulk water tank we had a built in injection tank that would add the 46 as we pumped into the truck tank, was really sweet then. Those days are gone now, we don't use liquid any longer for fertility, at least for turf applications.

RigglePLC
01-17-2008, 08:23 PM
Welcome to the urea melters club Xtreme lawn. Huge problem. Above suggestions are good. In addition, I use an elaborate triple filter sustem inside the tank. First I have a stainless steel mesh screen over the pick up pipe, (held on with 2" screw clamp). On top of this I have a plastic mesh cage glued to the tank with silicone acquarium sealer. On top of this I have fiberglass window screen. It is sealed to the side of tank and floor of the tank with Gorilla Glue. In theory--the urea never gets close to the pickup pipe. Too bad the tank companies can't put a screen in front of the pickup tube.

I am sure there are other methods. Lets hear them.

ted putnam
01-17-2008, 09:20 PM
Welcome to the urea melters club Xtreme lawn. Huge problem. Above suggestions are good. In addition, I use an elaborate triple filter sustem inside the tank. First I have a stainless steel mesh screen over the pick up pipe, (held on with 2" screw clamp). On top of this I have a plastic mesh cage glued to the tank with silicone acquarium sealer. On top of this I have fiberglass window screen. It is sealed to the side of tank and floor of the tank with Gorilla Glue. In theory--the urea never gets close to the pickup pipe. Too bad the tank companies can't put a screen in front of the pickup tube.

I am sure there are other methods. Lets hear them.

Your other option, although not a cheap one if you already have the sprayer is a different pump. I have my 8 yr old D-30 which is the one I was referring to in the last post but this new sprayer I bought from Westheffer last year is the bomb. It has a Udor R-70 pump that runs 20 gals a minute. It absolutely eats bags of Urea for lunch. As fast as I can pour them in.... I just thought of it. Something else that may help is..the Westheffer unit has the main suction coming in from the side of the tank with an elbow pointed down inside the tank. That probably has a lot to do with it not clogging. I will tell you though,that pump jamz!

garydale
01-18-2008, 09:43 AM
Never had the problem of disolving 46-0-0! Are we talking sprayable or spreadable?
It makes a differance.

lawnservice
01-18-2008, 02:38 PM
havent used the 46-0-0 for some time but when we did...simply add it to tank without the pump running

we filled our tanks at the end of the day for the following day. Add water and any other product you need such as weed control, add the urea last with the pump not running. The next morning the urea is all dissolved and you're good to go.

This will work with sprayable prill or the spreadable prill

AAELI
01-18-2008, 07:12 PM
I have always mixed up a slurry of any granular/prilled/ WP's in a pail prior to pouring into my tank. That has eliminated clogging problems. Pour it through a fine mesh screen to completely eliminate clogging.

First time I did this was about 30 years ago. It has not failed to cure the problem since.

Liquids seem the way to go whenever possible.

Mr.GreenJeans89
01-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Lawnservice,does that work,to dump it in at the end of a day along with water and weed control and urea will liquify?I mite try that.I actually went to a different grade of urea two years ago from van diest,it called fine prilled feed grade urea and it is as fine of urea as you will get and not a powder so it wont gum up.But other than that warm water is the best method if possible with agitation.

Ric
01-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Yo

Pour your 46-0-0 into the tank first. Then using a Jet nozzle on a Garden hose fill the tank directing the water stream at the Drain hole until the Urea is dissolved. Now finish fill your tank with the pump running to finish dissolving the remaining Urea.

RigglePLC
01-23-2008, 06:54 PM
And furthermore consider some kind of agitation setup. Do you have a canoe paddle? Shovel? Electric outboard? A reel motor attached to the hatch cover with a long shaft and propellor would do it. Electic drill and paint stirrer attachment maybe (5 gallon bucket size)?

Do not run the pump when filling.

americanlawn
01-23-2008, 07:09 PM
"Slurry" & "agitation" are two words that bring back bad memories. My two cents worth.

lawnservice
01-24-2008, 12:15 AM
Lawnservice,does that work,to dump it in at the end of a day along with water and weed control and urea will liquify?I mite try that.I actually went to a different grade of urea two years ago from van diest,it called fine prilled feed grade urea and it is as fine of urea as you will get and not a powder so it wont gum up.But other than that warm water is the best method if possible with agitation.

would i lie to you??
using warm water just adds to the cost of your fill.

if you have a large tank with lots o pounds of urea going in you may want to agitate the urea by hand...not your physical hand but use a tool, we have found an edger works well. But yes, allowing the urea to dislove on its own works fine. Problems come when adding urea while pump is running and hoses and/or pump gets clogged...now the urea will take a long time to disolve. But with pump off add urea and walk away. You might want to do some paper work, maybe set up the next days route...do a few call aheads etc, maybe even wash the truck...by now the urea is desoved enough to run the pump. Or just wait til the next morning to run pump

Mr.GreenJeans89
01-24-2008, 08:14 AM
I will try that.This has been a huge problem 4 me since my tank duznt hav great agitation,it has a little.Im gonna try another pump on the side or something to give me more.Its a 300 gallon tank and usually it wil do about 3 acres which is several normal size lawns,so usually theres not time to go out and spray two tanks in a day.

Mr.GreenJeans89
01-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Tell me more about Nutri-flow

Ric
01-24-2008, 10:40 AM
yo

I think I may be missing something here about this question.

HOW MUCH WATER ARE YOU TRY TO MIX UREA IN????

I apply @ 5 gallon or more per thousand sq ft. Therefore I am only mixing 50 lbs of urea in 200 + gallons of water. I have very little problems mixing urea.