PDA

View Full Version : Grub Control Problem

Whitey4
01-17-2008, 12:57 PM
This year I won't be able to use any Merit..... it's restricted in my area, so I am limited to General Use Pesticides until next year. (This year I will be a certified tech, next year a cert applicator, and I could use Merit)

The problem is Dylox isn't listed for the Oriental Beetle, which is the problem here, not the Japanese Beetle. Anyone have another control that might work here?

Other than that, I think I have my new apps plan in place for this year. Unlike the Japanese beetle, this pest doesn't feed as an adult, I need something that will pentrate the turf. I know when to apply, but without Merit, I have no clue as to what to do this year. I don't much like the idea of selling a Dylox app when I know it won't address the right pest. We have some Japanese Beetles, but not near enough to the treatment threshold to justify using Dylox. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mrkosar
01-17-2008, 01:37 PM
what about mach 2 or allectus?

that is strange to hear merit is banned, but dylox can still be applied. i was always under the impression that dylox was worse than merit.

Whitey4
01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
what about mach 2 or allectus?

that is strange to hear merit is banned, but dylox can still be applied. i was always under the impression that dylox was worse than merit.

The Mach 2 is prohited... illegal to apply. Allectus is like Merit.... not banned or prohibited, but restricted. Homeowners can't buy it, and neither can I until next year. NY has three levels for pesticide certifications: Apprentice, Technician and Applicator. No test for apprentice, just an 8 hour course and supervision. They use the same test for tech and applicator, but I have to put in one year of verifiable experience to go from tech to applicator, along with 12 more credits. So, next year Merit and Allectus will be in my tool box, but not this year.

Back in the 70's, there was a huge Japanese beetle problem, which was fixed with milky spore apps. This beetle is still around, but at non-treatment required levels. Merit showed up in a well 3 1/2 years after it was introduced here, and they restricted it. There isn't much need for Dylox at this time, and it remains a general use pesticide. Watch.... the home owners will over use Dilox thinking it will kill the Oreintal grub, and it will end up getting restricted too.

I think I will likely just have to bite the bullet this year. I'm just not sure what to tell my customers about it. Long Island has the most restrictive pesticide laws in the lower 48. I hate to have to sub grub control as I can't sub here... the Certified Applicator has to have his own contract directly with the customer. That would be a guy I am competing with. Not good.

jrc lawncare
01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
This year I won't be able to use any Merit..... it's restricted in my area, so I am limited to General Use Pesticides until next year. (This year I will be a certified tech, next year a cert applicator, and I could use Merit)

The problem is Dylox isn't listed for the Oriental Beetle, which is the problem here, not the Japanese Beetle. Anyone have another control that might work here?

Other than that, I think I have my new apps plan in place for this year. Unlike the Japanese beetle, this pest doesn't feed as an adult, I need something that will pentrate the turf. I know when to apply, but without Merit, I have no clue as to what to do this year. I don't much like the idea of selling a Dylox app when I know it won't address the right pest. We have some Japanese Beetles, but not near enough to the treatment threshold to justify using Dylox. Any suggestions? Thanks. Sevin.......

Whitey4
01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Well.... just spoke to two suppliers about this. They both think that because Dylox is listed for "white grubs", applying it for the Oriental beetle isn't a violation of the label. They also think it will have at least some affect on the population. Talk about a gray area. One supplier said it will likely be an effective application, but because this particular beetle isn't common elsewhere, they just didn't list it.

This is a catch 22. If I ask the manufacturer, and they say it won't control this type of beetle larva, I can't apply. Go with the strict interpretation of the label, and I can apply.

Customers will ask about grub control.... still not sure how to handle this. Any suggestions?

Whitey4
01-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I've heard Sevin isn't real effective for this, although it does say so one the label....

jrc lawncare
01-17-2008, 05:22 PM
I've heard Sevin isn't real effective for this, although it does say so one the label.... I think you're getting too concerned about it. I have used it before & had no grub problems. Keep dylox on hand if needed.

grassguy_
01-17-2008, 08:12 PM
Sevin works fairly decent when watered immediately, at least from past experience whne we used it for control. NOt sure how long it will be on the market yet either, but at least for now its still available.

Mr.GreenJeans89
01-23-2008, 04:12 PM
Sevin works but if you read the label it takes ALOT of sevin in your tank to control them.