PDA

View Full Version : Kudsu Elimination

summitlawncare
01-17-2008, 02:24 PM
Hey guys, had a new customer call me today, said she has Kudsu growing over her back fence. You guys that have been in the industry a little longer might know what I am talking about. From what research I have done, it is a viney plant that grows very rapidly. Apparently it was imported from Japan some years ago. This customer would like it taken care of.... any of you ever had to deal with this problem? Not sure what best product would be to use. Any advice???

muddstopper
01-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Best control is a goat. Kudzu is dormant now, I dont know how well pre-Ms work on this plant, but roundup knocks its socks off. Use a surfactant. Just dont let it get out of hand before you start treating it or you could be in for a long summer. In wet weather, this stuff can grow two feet a day, in drought, it seems to grow even faster.

summitlawncare
01-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Mudd, thanks for the advice. From what they lady told me the growth is already pretty decent. I am going out to the place this weekend to take a look at it. i was thinking round-up, but i wasnt sure if it would take care of it.

Tadams
01-17-2008, 03:32 PM
Round-up will only kill what it touches on kudzu. I know that round-up is supposed to kill everything but it just don't work like that on kudzu. I maintain a lot of AT&T sites that have tons of this stuff. It will knock it down for about a month but then it is right back in your face. This stuff will overgrow anything that it comes in contact with- fences, trees, houses, even your dog if it lays still too long. It is amazing how fast it grows! I would not give her any type of warranty unless you can come once a month and spray it.

olive123
01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
cut it at ground level and paint it with garlon 3A

summitlawncare
01-17-2008, 04:25 PM
thanks Todd, I appreciate it. Yeah, I was reading up on it a little bit and I knew it wasnt looking really good as far as long term elmination. I will approach her and tell her that only way to take care of it is to do routine maintenance. This is a new customer, at least its not someone that I have done business with a while and she hasnt seen me take care of every other weed they have had and wonder why I cant kill this stuff out right away. The last two weeks I have seen two problems that I have never run into before, as far as weed control. Its incredible. My knowledge is limited at this point, I have only been doing the spraying side of it for about 2 years now, but have had my own lawn care business for almost 10. Again, thanks for the info....

summitlawncare
01-17-2008, 04:26 PM
Hey something I just thought about, what about Turdon or Turton (not sure how to spell it). I have used that before on volunteer trees.

nik
01-18-2008, 06:41 PM
In Oregon there were a couple of sites where kudzu showed up and I believe they used Transline to get it. Took it out in both sites.

Eakern & Dog
01-19-2008, 08:47 AM
The best "over the counter" stuff is a special Round-Up product called "Poison Ivy and Tough Brush Killer". It will do some damage if you apply properly. Choose a warm day without rain and wind but with rain that is expected in a day or two after application. Repeat the process. If the fence has alot of vines on it try to pull as much as possible off and DO NOT discard the waste in your own yard or it will root and take over your yard ! You will always have to keep an eye on this patch of Kudzu and periodically control it before it gets out of hand.

Tordon is effective. However, it is a close relative to Agent Orange . Tordon was called Agent White during the Vietnam War and was used in areas that Agent Orange was not effective. Tordon is suspected in birth defects ,etc..
I recommend that you stay away from it and do a thorough Internet search on it before consideration.

On a nother note.........I think goats makes fun pets :-)

Ric
01-19-2008, 02:50 PM
cut it at ground level and paint it with garlon 3A

Olive

Read the supplement label for Garlon 4. It can be mixed 20% Garlon 4 to 80% Diesel fuel. I find 25 to 30% does great on Brazilian Pepper trees, sump cut method. In fact pure 41% glyposate does a good job with the sump cut method. I have say I have never had to deal with Kudzu, so I can not speak from experience.

BTW Garlon and diesel fuel mixed has a 4 hour half life at ambient temperature. Half life can be extended at low temperature.

muddstopper
01-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Mudd, thanks for the advice. From what they lady told me the growth is already pretty decent. I am going out to the place this weekend to take a look at it. i was thinking round-up, but i wasnt sure if it would take care of it.

I find it hard to believe that this kudzu is actively growing this time of year. I suspect what you customer is seeing is all the dead vines. I didnt want to mention diesel fule, but since Ric brought it up, roundup mixed with diesel does a prety good job. If the area is already overgrown with actively growing kudzu, it will be hard to get it under control with just spraying. Roundup works best when the plant first starts growing in spring. If the area is mowable, I suggest mowing the kudzu to breakup the vines and then spraying as soon as you start to see a hint of green. Or fence it and get some goats.