PDA

View Full Version : cool DIY'er has a quick question.. pretty please

Emerald Zoysia
01-17-2008, 05:14 PM
thanks for looking! (i did read the sticky. please forgive!) ok, so i have the gable front on the left side of my house with the large cornice returns. i have played with uplighting (on the ground) on the corners but the returns block a signifigant amount of the light and it looks a little odd to me. can anyone recommend a technique that might offer a nice look for the front. i have a plan for the sides and back but the front needs some more love. oh yeah, the butchered crepe myrtle in the island between the two windows grows to quite the height during the summer. thanks for any tips and ideas.

extlights
01-17-2008, 05:27 PM
You can try and move the fixtures a little more towards the center...add a fixture right in the middle of the gable, or you could keep the 2 uplights and add a down light from the middle of the gable. You might have to play around with it to get the look your wanting. You'll probably want 3 fixtures over on that side to achieve what you want. You could also downlight the area completely.

Pro-Scapes
01-17-2008, 05:30 PM
My recomendation would be a rather advanced mounting of fixtures that are not readily avalible to homeowners. They would involve mounting fixtures to the home and hiding wires. This wouldnt use a fixture you can find at a hardware store. That backyard is begging for moonlighting from what I can see but thats not a technique I would try if your unfamiliar with it.

If you plan to butcher the crepe yearly I wouldnt light it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
1: Mount a NS Guardian or other small white downlight to the very top Fascia of the Gable, Lamp = BAB MR16, or FMW MR16 with possible use of a optical spread lens.
2: Mount 2 VISTA 5212 or 5103 Soft Floods into the garden bed beneath the windows fairly close to the foundation wall and aimed up. Lamp Q20X

The Downlight will take care of the upper gable area from soffit to soffit and will take away the shadow formed above the returns caused by the two soft floods. by mounting the floods in tight to the wall you will get no glare to the inside through the windows, you will create a silhouette behind the foliage and create nice depth from shadows on the siding of the house.

Probably beyond the ability of most DIY'ers to accomplish safely and properly.

Regards.

JoeyD
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Hey Billy what kind of White Downlight would you use?? ;)

Pro-Scapes
01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey Billy what kind of White Downlight would you use?? ;)

Who said I would downlight it Joey ? and who said I would use a white fixture ? Its true I do like the probe OSM but this is a DIY and last time I checked a DIY cant buy unique. Its also hard to tell by the angle but I dont see a bab covering all of the gable from a single mounting position directly above it. Whats the distance between the returns ?

Since we went this far why not cross light the gable with lights mounted around the returns ?

JoeyD
01-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Geez Billy forget it......LOL.....A DIY cannot buy Unique unless the Dist. sells it to him. I cant always control that. I should have been more clear as to the Downlight, I just like the way you say Probe!.

Emerald Zoysia
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
thanks for the replies. as for the width between returns, it is about 23 ft. an updated pic is below (note crepe). the other pic was from last year.

i have considered pro install but i enjoy doing things myself. however, lighting is much more an art than just a job. wrong lights in the wrong places will surely mean disaster,,, and i don't want that. i fear though that my local installers might not have the skills that you guys seem to have.. i have seen many posted pics on this forum and most installs in my area don't seem to have the same impact. too many path lights it seems. i have not noticed any installers posting here from the augusta area.

btw, the moonlighting idea is one that i have thought about. not sure at all how to properly do it but i bet that would be cool.. i'll save that for another day.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 08:00 PM
Its also hard to tell by the angle but I dont see a bab covering all of the gable from a single mounting position directly above it. Whats the distance between the returns ?

It isn't hard to tell at all... Trust me, I do this type of thing regularly, it will work. Be sure to have an optical spread lens on hand to widen and soften the beam of the BAB/FMW or I suppose you could use a Ushio 2060 if you can get any lamp life out of them.

Since we went this far why not cross light the gable with lights mounted around the returns ?

Because: 1 - This is a DIY'er and I didn't want to make it too complex. And more importantly 2 - Because not every home needs to be lit up like Disney World. :) I prefer the soft and gentle look over the bright, over lit and garish "look at me" approach to architectural lighting that I see all over the place these days. Less is more, softer is better, etc etc.... You know something like Tom Williams or Jan Moyer or even dare I say James Solecki would do. :)

Have a great day!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 08:08 PM
btw, the moonlighting idea is one that i have thought about. not sure at all how to properly do it but i bet that would be cool.. i'll save that for another day.

I can assure you that the fascia mounted downlight will be very effective and quite 'cool'. Heck I am feeling charitable tonight, give me a call if you want and I will even tell you how to do it properly.

That is not a very large space so be sure to tread softly... using less is better then more on simple structures. Keep your lamp output down too. I would start out at 20w each in my example above and be prepared to even try 10w lamps. Hopefully you dont have a HPS Cobrahead Street Light at the curb 15' off your yard!

Regards.

Pro-Scapes
01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
Emerald... i would contact Firefly lighting in atlanta. Not sure he services your area but he is a real good guy.

James. Different designers will do different things. Just because you chose a single fixture and I chose 2 doesnt mean it wouldnt look good either way. I doubt my 2 fixtures would be too bright. I never stated my lamp choice and I would probably frost em down a bit as well.

Multiple fixtures doesnt mean disney world. I think its neat to see what different people would do and I never claimed yours wouldnt work. I leave some contrast on my designs trust me, but I also make sure the structure is defined. I would think that mounting a fixture 20 something feet in the air would be a bit more complex for a homeowner than mounting near the returns anyways.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Billy I thought you said 'while we are at it why not add two more lights'... I think that would be overkill on this structure. Also the combination of soft floods up and soft 'moon' down will add some intrigue, more so then all fixtures aimed up, not to mention that the small tree near the home will look quite cool with some light shining down onto it, year round.

In any case, we have clearly beaten this one to death! :) The guy has sure got his money's worth of opinion and suggestions! :)

Regards

Pro-Scapes
01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I wasnt planning to use the moon light in my design. Judging by how the homeowner butchers the crepes (typical) I would just leave em with the sillohette from the lighting on the house. Now that we baffled the homeowner and they are running for cover I think our work here is done.

Bottom line is different designers would do different things.

Emerald Zoysia
01-17-2008, 10:08 PM
hey thanks again guys. james thanks for the invite to call. i won't bother you though. you guys have done plenty already! the provided info should head me in the right direction.

when i wrap it up, ill post up some pics for perhaps a final critique. :hammerhead:lol

billy, no more butcher jobs planned for the crepe:nono:, i've been reading up on the "correct" method of pruning.

klkanders
01-17-2008, 11:42 PM
" Last time I checked, I wasnt getting anything for free or discounts from my Lawyers, Accountants, Dentist, etc etc."

[QUOTE=James Solecki - INTEGRA;2103691] Heck I am feeling charitable tonight, give me a call if you want and I will even tell you how to do it properly.

OK James I am confused. Your time is valuable but you wanna help this guy out for free huh? ;) :)

Just ribb'n ya with this as you can already tell by the smiley faces.
Here are a few more............:) :waving: :drinkup:

pete scalia
01-17-2008, 11:52 PM
you guys have alot of free time on your hands. get a real job. Now please excuse me while I apply my udder balm. Same product used on cow teets.

klkanders
01-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Thanks Pete! My real job is a fry cook at McDuk's. They didnt need me tonight. :)

ChampionLS
01-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Why not just create a X pattern using a bullet? you can tuck the light in around those returns.

pete scalia
01-18-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks Pete! My real job is a fry cook at McDuk's. They didnt need me tonight. :)

no problemo