PDA

View Full Version : To mow or not To mow

1grnlwn
10-26-2001, 01:42 AM
Four years doing this and I still waffel on does it really need mowed or can it wait. Usualy in summer drought and right now are the worst times. I sent all clients a letter asking to call if they wanted skipped to call. Very few call . My problem is they don't call, we show up and it really doesn't need mowed. I am an honest business man and don't want to rip people. Actually fired client this year (daughter ) came out told employee to stop mowing and read him the riot act for ripping off her mother. I was gone for a short while checking another prop. So we left, when I got home I called and said they would have to find someone else. I know a lot of people will just go out and mow every week with nothing but dust flying out. I am trying to be honest. How do you guys handle this problem.:confused:

65hoss
10-26-2001, 02:22 AM
I tell people up front that I cut as needed, but I decide. During heavy growing times its every week. Other times I may skip. I basically look at it and ask myself what will it be like next week? Will it look unkept in 3 days? Will it reflect me badly in a few days? Will it be too tall next week? After this type of analysis I make the decision.

strickdad
10-27-2001, 09:04 AM
im with hoss on this one. we look at how much of a pain in the butt it will be the next time we are out.

Eric ELM
10-27-2001, 10:30 AM
This time of the season, I go over the lawns to mulch the leaves. If you do them each week, the leaves are easier to keep under control.

With all the wind we have had lately, even if you don't have trees on your property, you will have lots of leaves. ;)

eggy
10-27-2001, 12:32 PM
Pretty much the same way here, weekily visits for leaf mulching, I have kinda switched from doing one final fall clean up to weekly visits as the leafs are falling, people tend to like this better. I also contuine to charge a regular mowing price, which may seem cheap because we blow out beds etc, but we also dont have to do a lot of trimming, and to be honest we are happy to be working late in the season.

ronslawncare
10-27-2001, 04:32 PM
may1st nov1st weekly or nothing im a honest bussiness man but last year i was saying to skip a week then everyone decided ill call you when i need a cleanup so were still cutting untill wensday regardless of dust flying .its leaf season anyways.

kutnkru
10-27-2001, 09:25 PM
I would figure out what the average number of cuts your market will bear ius and then arrange your maintenance routes according to those figures.

In our area I like to figure 28 cuts for a dry season and 32 cuts for a wet season.

Kris

1grnlwn
10-28-2001, 09:19 AM
I just hate not hearing from client, driving to the property with my employee and thinking (man that really does'nt need mowed). Of course employee does'nt ever think they need mowed(payed by hour)lol

cp
10-28-2001, 01:36 PM
Annual accounts = it doesn't matter I still go by weekly and check.

Seasonal accts = I'm usually in contact with the owner and we come to an agreement if I should skip.

Weekly/on-call = See Annual accounts.:p

Chris

VnDrWLawnCare
10-30-2001, 10:28 PM
I do the same. I decide what the yard may look like next week. Take into consideration the last weather forecast you have seen then make my decision. Sometimes even go to the door and ask the customer if they are home. I dont like to tick people off either. However i feel that unless they start complaining about it not needing cut then i will cut it. If it looks tall in one place i cut it. When they start complaining then that is when i will start worrying. Not trying to screw them over but i feel that if i have driven to the job, i might as well cut it. Otherwise it was a complete waste of my time.
Eric

KirbysLawn
10-30-2001, 10:37 PM
My customers are on contract, in the contract it states I will mow weekly or as needed, my choice. In the summer when it needs skipping they pay the same, in spring when it needs mowing every 5 days they also pay the same, equals out.

I could not imaging doing business on a "per cut" basis with the droughts and long winters. :confused:

lawngator
10-31-2001, 08:21 AM
I'm with CP. Annual accounts are the way to go. I estimate the number of cuts per year and base my price on that. The few pay-per-cuts that I have, I work it out with them in advance. Otherwise, you make unnecessary trips.