PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using a lawn tractor, but not for mowing?

gogetter
10-26-2001, 02:29 AM
Anyone here use a regular old ride on lawn tractor (like craftsman, toro, simplicity, JD, etc.), but not for mowing?
I'll explain.

I was thinking of getting a decent used ride on mower like one of the kinds mentioned above to be used for pulling a core aerator, dethatcher, maybe a roller, maybe a plow or snow thrower, and especially for mounting as large a bagging system as possible for leaves.

I know that when you see these on trailers, you think "scrub" using homeowner grade euipment to cut lawns. But this wouldn't even be used for cutting.

Right now my main mower is a 36" Exmark Metro. Obviously it can't pull any of the above attachments, and the bagger will fill up too quickly for leaves.

So, anyone using something like this for these chores?. Basically, I'm trying to find one machine that I can get the most jobs done with, with the use of some attachments. Thoughts???? Thanks.

P.S. I wanted to elaborate on this a bit more to be clear. 1. I don't have the money to buy big, heavy duty commmercial euipment for these particular chores. 2. This would see minimal use as I don't have many accounts, so I think the kind of brands I mentioned would do the job. Thanks again.

65hoss
10-26-2001, 03:03 AM
I have a Cub with hydro I use for pulling seeder, roller, etc. I do feel a little funny when I have it on the trailer. I guess it shouldn't. The price of that cub falls between my Lazer and the Metro.

Sammy
10-26-2001, 04:54 AM
I have a 1967 and a 1978 IH Cub Cadet [NOT MTD junk] that I use to pull implements with. I use a tiller on the hydro in the spring. They are built tough. I dont feel funny at all when I have them loaded. They earn their keep. Cost is well below any mowers.:D

awm
10-26-2001, 07:36 AM
i have a murray hydrostat,that has earned the right to stand in
any company. dont use it much as the lazer just does everything better. ill pull it up beside a stack of ztr s or what ever.
far as im concerned dollar value wise its hard to beat.
to be rather than to seem to be. later now

Eric ELM
10-26-2001, 09:05 AM
I used to use my 430 diesel JD for everything year around until I got my ZTR's. I now use the 430 for snow removal only and the ZTR's might replace the JD for snow too.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/images/JD%20CCP.JPG

stslawncare
10-26-2001, 11:12 AM
i just brought my 16 hp 22 year old craftsman home a few weekends ago. i have a snow plow and a 10 cu ft wagon for it. last week i used it for moving bags of topsoil around a property, unloaded the truck, then put them on the wagon, saves a lot of energy and time. this winter i will use it for snow plowing.if i get enough accounts might use it for other stuff to. it does have a 44" deck.

mklawnman
10-26-2001, 03:00 PM
I have a 1982 JD 314. Dont know how many hours are on it but id have to say alot in the the thousands,the 314 is hydro no power steering. Bought the machine used in 1993 as a second machine, went into being our back up machine after i bought a Scag Turf Tiger this past year. It now is used for pulling our 6x12 trailer around and a lawn sweeper. Though it will cut if needed.
But my suggestion is to drive on down your to your local JD Dealer and see what used Garden tractors they have for sale. The dealership i go to seem to have alot of them that r in good running condition. Look at something in the 300 or 400 series JD they can handle lots of attachments, they r good strong machines. especially from the late 1980's and early 1990's, back then they had more iron in them it seems. The new ones have too much plastic in them with lighter metal frames.

Got Grass?
10-26-2001, 03:03 PM
I still use my JD 170 all the time. Deck has been removed. Have a dump Cart/trailer.
Mostly for dumping brush/clippings in my backyard as I cant get the truck back there. Also use it for large cleanups. Branches, limbs etc... Great for topsoil/mulch. when carting a wheelbarrel would be a chore and ya cant drive the truck on thier lawn. The top of the cart just fits under the trucks tailgate making loading simple. also no overturned wheelbarrels and can hold a lot more, saving time and my energy. May put it to use next week for some cleanups, Tarping can get tiring w/ 1 man. Thinking about roping the tarp the the tractor and away I go. It's so small for a snow blade and the thowers dont work all that great.
Prolly getting a roller and a thatcher for it next spring.

roscioli
10-26-2001, 08:01 PM
I hate to admit it, but I still use an MTD once in a while. Bought it 2 years ago before I found lawnsite, and realized the difference between homeowner and commercial, but still use it as a backup and to pull stuff. Its great for leaves, bags hold 3-4 times more than my metro bagger. AND< the metro wont start right now! It cost $900 new plus the bagger which was 200 or so. I have to admit, it runs awesome and cuts pretty well. I pull carts and all that with it, and use it to suck up leaves. The metro (36") is great for cutting, but obviously cant pull anything. AND I cant figure out why it won't start, gonna mess with it tomorrow... wish me luck

Runner
10-26-2001, 08:35 PM
JD 212 that is used for pulling a roller, roto tilling, trailer, sometimes the aerator, and odds and ends like that.;)

lee b
10-26-2001, 08:35 PM
I have a 335 JD tractor that my wife and son use when they help me. We use it to pull a sweeper and a sprayer, also use it to mow with. It's slower than a ztr mowing, but does nice work { our grass doesn't stripe,so that part don't matter}. My wife doesn't like my ztr, but loves to mow with the tractor, so it's here to stay. And no, I don't feel like a scrub when it's on my trailer, anybody who does must have an inferiority complex.

GLS
10-26-2001, 09:35 PM
I bought a little piece of crap craftsman this year. I use it to pull a core aerator, dethatcher, lawn sweeper, cart, and also plow a little snow with a front blade. It's all right for the price, but if you are going to do a lot of yards, I would consider a nice deere. 400 series can get pretty expensive...like 10 grand which I couldn't afford!

gene gls
10-26-2001, 10:37 PM
I picked up a 1450 Cub Cadet last year thinking I could put a small bucket on the front and come to find out it is the only model that I can't buy one for, so now its on my extra equ list. I also have a Crapsman that I use to pull my drop lime spreader. I get some funny looks now and then but it works great.

Gene

gogetter
10-26-2001, 11:18 PM
Glad I posted this question, getting more input then I expected.
Definately convinced me to pick up a tractor. There's a Toro I have my eye on. Although I could see about a half dozen uses for it, one of the main ones would be leaf clean up. And Toro has a 3 bin vac bagger which holds like 10 (or 11?) bushels. That's alot!

Now if I just had the money to get it before it's sold!!

lawnboy82
10-27-2001, 12:25 AM
I am working on a deal right now to get a JD 855 tractor to tow a 60" aeravator, and I am also going to put a snow plow on it for doing some commercial snow work.

wallzwallz
10-27-2001, 07:15 AM
I have a gravely 8199 kt professional, that's the model name.I do mow w/ it on occaison, 60 inch deck,but use it for mulch or edging hauling,plowing,brush mowing + soon to tow an aerator. The brush mower on the front w/ hydralic lift is it's main keep now, if you ever used the 2 wheeler brush mowers,manhandling them then sit for 8 hrs that alone is worth a tractor