PDA

View Full Version : Question about spraying shrubs and beds

xtremelawn
01-18-2008, 11:29 AM
I have only been offering a fertilization and weed control program. I have had quite a few customers ask about a shrub and bed program. Can someone help me with a program? "Fertilizer, Weed Control, Insect, And Diease"
I have been doing some research and noticed alot of these chemicals require alot more water per 1000 sq ft "Some up to 10 Gal" Does this mean i can not do this with a back pack sprayer?

What are the best products to use?

Also for prerimator pest control "Talstar One" is this o.k. done with a back pack sprayer?

Sorry for so many questions :confused:

Tony DiMauro
01-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Just get with your chemical provider in Ft. Worth who I assume may be Lesco / JDL. The service center manager will create a tree and shrub program for you. Depending on the size of your properties, in most cases you will need at least a fifty gallon pressurized sprayer. Using a backpack sprayer will not only be somewhat ineffective getting the chemical where it needs to be, but very labor intensive continually having to fill it! - Hope that help!

LawnTamer
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
I would separate those into 3 different services. Bed weed control/pre-em, insect control, and disease control. You are going to need to do some studying here. I don't know what kind of insect and disease pressure you have there. Here our main problems come from mites, aphids, and root weevil. There are a dozen other bugs which cause occasional damage. We see a lot of powdery mildew, this is remedied by cultural practice as much as anything else, but there are a few blights and fungi that we treat occasionally.

I would consider getting a structural certification if you are going to do perimeter sprays, many states require it, and in many it is considered a "gray area" meaning that one inspector might let you off with you Turf and Orn. license while another will throw the book at you.

xtremelawn
01-18-2008, 05:23 PM
I would separate those into 3 different services. Bed weed control/pre-em, insect control, and disease control. You are going to need to do some studying here. I don't know what kind of insect and disease pressure you have there. Here our main problems come from mites, aphids, and root weevil. There are a dozen other bugs which cause occasional damage. We see a lot of powdery mildew, this is remedied by cultural practice as much as anything else, but there are a few blights and fungi that we treat occasionally.

I would consider getting a structural certification if you are going to do perimeter sprays, many states require it, and in many it is considered a "gray area" meaning that one inspector might let you off with you Turf and Orn. license while another will throw the book at you.

I guess there is a lot more to learn than what i thought. This seems like a lot to learn on my own. How do you recommend i learn it? Is there a class or somewhere you know of to get training?

As for the perimeter pest control i don't want to get in any trouble from structural. Even though i have no intent of every spraying the inside of homes
i will have to get training and take the test for something i will never use.:cry:

Thanks