PDA

View Full Version : Warm up Procedure

Candersen10
01-18-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm sure a lot of this has been discussed and I could do a search but I'm wondering more about my particular machine.

I have a John Deere CT332. On cold mornings, I typically run the glow plugs for around 20-30 seconds (until the light turns off), and then start the machine with about 1/3 throttle. I then let it sit for about 20-30 minutes or at least until the hydraulic fluid temperature is over about 65. Does this sound like a proper procedure or should I be doing things differently? The machine does have an electric plug in block heater which I have yet to use, does anyone have experience using the block heater?

Thanks.

bobcat_ron
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
That's what I call "babying" your machine, if you can afford the extra fuel time, nothing wrong with it.
The block heater is just for the engine coolant, it makes starting waaaay faster and easier on the starter motor.
Another method suggested by Cat is to run the aux. hydraulics in one direction and let it dead end and keep it going, the oil going through the relief valve will warm up faster, I'm not sure if it's hard on the valve, but it works for me.

ksss
01-18-2008, 02:12 PM
I usually rotate the bucket curl all the way up and let run over relief the results are the same. By pushing over relief your heating up the oil. I would plug you machine in verse the 30 warm up time. Plug it in and the machine will think it is summer, minus the hyd. fluid which will still be thick.

dozerman21
01-18-2008, 02:41 PM
I have the same machine... I always plug mine in if I don't put it inside if the temp drops below freezing. If you don't plug it in (which I highly recommend), glow it for the 20 seconds and start it. If it doesn't want to start, re-glow the plugs and try again, don't keep spinning the starter.

I let mine run for at least 10 minutes before I move anything. Deere is pretty adament about letting the machine warm up for 10 minutes before you move the controls. I wouldn't move anything until that time is up. I'm sure you know, but do not force the machine if it's frozen. I had to thaw mine out a couple of weeks ago because it was frozen on my trailer. If you force the tracks and they're frozen, you can do some big time internal damage.

Dirt Digger2
01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
get out of the truck, start the machine at 1/3 throttle, walk around the job a little...talk to anyone if they are there, get back in and move the controls then get to work...times money...what do you do for a half hour?

Dirt Digger2
01-18-2008, 03:51 PM
i just saw your from pheonixville...were abouts?...we do jobs up there occasionally...it hasn't really gotten cold enough around there to need a half hour warm up...yet, maybe next week they are saying its going to get cold

Candersen10
01-18-2008, 07:57 PM
I live on a farm so generally I get up pretty early, start the machine up, and get a quick breakfast before working so I probably give it a 15-20 minute warm up generally, not a 30 minute one. I only do this because i prefer to have warm hydraulic fluid (above about 65 or so) before I work, however, maybe this is a stupid thing to do in the first place.

My farm's website is www.broadwaterfarm.org (beef division) and www.charlestownfarm.org (vegetable division) if you have any interest. (Please note that both websites are under construction) Dirt digger 2, if you are in phoenixville we are located right on charlestown road near the charlestown playhouse.

cat2
01-18-2008, 08:12 PM
so i take it you farm. how do you like that deere? i have a deere and bobcat

Candersen10
01-18-2008, 08:33 PM
I really love it, I've had a Bobcat (763) and it was certainly a workhorse but not big enough for our needs. We upgraded to a Cat 257 after the bobcat and the cat was very comfortable to operate (great controls and smooth riding) but the center of gravity was too high for our hills and the tracks were shot after 700 hours or so.

The John Deere has been bobcat reliable with good controls and TONS of power. It also will lift just about anything, we run it with an industrial grapple and use it to move around trees and it will lift huge trees. All this being said, I've only had it for about a 10 months and it only has 300 hours on it so we'll see how it performs down the road.

Dirt Digger2
01-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Candersen...i sent you a PM