PDA

View Full Version : Perma Green and spraying

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-18-2008, 02:22 PM
Is anyone using their Pg or synergy sprayers for anything other
then post emergent herbicides, such as pre-m's, insecticides or
fungicides? If you are what kind of results have you received.

thomsoutdoor
01-18-2008, 10:22 PM
I think with what little volume you have you can't do anything else.

rcreech
01-18-2008, 10:57 PM
The PG is only good for Pre Crab and Post Broadleaf control.

As stated the volume of product will not give you the needed coverage.

This is definitly where the Z-Spray has an edge on the PG.

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-19-2008, 10:05 AM
What pre-m products are you using with your Perma
Green and the rate of the product?

ted putnam
01-19-2008, 10:22 PM
The PG is only good for Pre Crab and Post Broadleaf control.

As stated the volume of product will not give you the needed coverage.

This is definitly where the Z-Spray has an edge on the PG.

I've gotten excellent control of crabgrass post emergently. In fact this is where I think it really shines for me as far as spraying goes.I have not used it for spraying insecticides and fungicides. I have used granular insecticides in it for Fire Ants an sub-surface feeding insects. Rodney is right I think you would need the penetration of higher volumes of liquid for surface feeding insects in turf. You can use liquid Pre-M in it, but I would advise against it. A huge mess. Agitation becomes an issue with WP's and WDG's. It is illegal to use Lesco Three-way in your machine but legal to use Trimec 992, so be sure to read your labels before using certain products.

rcreech
01-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I've gotten excellent control of crabgrass post emergently. In fact this is where I think it really shines for me as far as spraying goes.I have not used it for spraying insecticides and fungicides. I have used granular insecticides in it for Fire Ants an sub-surface feeding insects. Rodney is right I think you would need the penetration of higher volumes of liquid for surface feeding insects in turf. You can use liquid Pre-M in it, but I would advise against it. A huge mess. Agitation becomes an issue with WP's and WDG's. It is illegal to use Lesco Three-way in your machine but legal to use Trimec 992, so be sure to read your labels before using certain products.

It's illegal to run Lesco's Three Way with a PG?

ted putnam
01-20-2008, 01:00 AM
It's illegal to run Lesco's Three Way with a PG?

The label recommends that it be applied in 40-80 gals of water per acre. As you read further it says it can be applied in 1-5 gals /1000. I can't speak for the PG magnum as my PG is an Ultra. Mine has an 8 gal tank that sprays 32k or 4k/gal. I believe the magnum is about the same...not sure. At the beginning of the label it states "It is against Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with it's labeling." Therefore, technically making it illegal to spray out of a PG...at least my PG Ultra. It sucks because Trimec 992 has the same % active ingredients and has no such stipulations on the volume of water used. I just use the Trimec 992. It makes absolutely no sense at all to me, but I guess if someone wanted to nail you to a cross for it, they could!

PSUTURFGEEK
01-20-2008, 01:12 AM
Eliminate lo is actually one of the only broadleaf weed controls that actually is labled correctly for a magnum.

ted putnam
01-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Rodney, Check your PM's

ted putnam
01-20-2008, 11:03 AM
Rodney, you need to check your PM's

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Eliminate lo is actually one of the only broadleaf weed controls that actually is labled correctly for a magnum.

Are the active ingredients in Three-Way and Eliminate Lo
about the same? Is something else in eliminate that makes
it better to use in the Perma Green then Three-Way?

rcreech
01-20-2008, 02:59 PM
The label recommends that it be applied in 40-80 gals of water per acre. As you read further it says it can be applied in 1-5 gals /1000. I can't speak for the PG magnum as my PG is an Ultra. Mine has an 8 gal tank that sprays 32k or 4k/gal. I believe the magnum is about the same...not sure. At the beginning of the label it states "It is against Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with it's labeling." Therefore, technically making it illegal to spray out of a PG...at least my PG Ultra. It sucks because Trimec 992 has the same % active ingredients and has no such stipulations on the volume of water used. I just use the Trimec 992. It makes absolutely no sense at all to me, but I guess if someone wanted to nail you to a cross for it, they could!

I ended up looking at the label last night because this really threw me off. Nowhere does it say you can't use a PG. There are no products that I am aware of that are illegal to spray with certain equipment that I know of!

It does recommend using 40-80 gallons/acre in the comments for best control but that is a CYA statment, but if you look at Gly it tells you to use 20 gallon/acre for best results, and I use 5 gal/ac.

When looking at the label as far as application....you just need to make sure you use the AI as inteneded and at the correct rate/area.

NCIlandscaping
01-20-2008, 03:08 PM
Is anyone using their Pg or synergy sprayers for anything other
then post emergent herbicides, such as pre-m's, insecticides or
fungicides? If you are what kind of results have you received.
We spray insecticides with our perma green with great results...

ted putnam
01-20-2008, 03:21 PM
I ended up looking at the label last night because this really threw me off. Nowhere does it say you can't use a PG. There are no products that I am aware of that are illegal to spray with certain equipment that I know of!

It does recommend using 40-80 gallons/acre in the comments for best control but that is a CYA statment, but if you look at Gly it tells you to use 20 gallon/acre for best results, and I use 5 gal/ac.

When looking at the label as far as application....you just need to make sure you use the AI as inteneded and at the correct rate/area.

There ar some equipment that have been excluded for use with some herbicides. Crop dusters, using irrigation equipment for broadcasting certain herbicides,etc... I am not a lawyer. All I know is what I read on the label. All I want to do is try to cover my a$$.

ted putnam
01-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Rodney,
Thanks for the PM. I could be totally off base. I guess labels to an extent are open to interpretation by the individual. What kind of Pre emergence do you use in your PG? Do you spray or apply granular bonded with pre-emergence

rcreech
01-20-2008, 03:30 PM
There ar some equipment that have been excluded for use with some herbicides. Crop dusters, using irrigation equipment for broadcasting certain herbicides,etc... I am not a lawyer. All I know is what I read on the label. All I want to do is try to cover my a$$.

You are correct that there are some products that can't be applied by certain equipment such as crop dusters and irriagation....but they would be stated on the label if they weren't supposed to be used..

I was talking about they will not specify what equipment can and can't be used (ride-on etc).

My point is that nowhere on the label does it say I can't apply with a "PG" or use the product with low volume.

It label just states "Under normal application use 40-80 gallon of water pre acre or 1-2 gallon/1000 sq ft"

That isn't a must...it is just a recommendation under the comments.

I see where you are coming from , but I am sure we are all fine for using it in a PG!

PSUTURFGEEK
01-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I will have a post tomorrow proving that I am correct on what I said b4 about low volume spraying directly from the pa dept of ag. no further comment until then so your'e still welcome to talk trash until then I think it's funny because theres so much I could say to rip you apart at times and I keep my mouth shut

PSUTURFGEEK
01-20-2008, 08:41 PM

When looking at the label as far as application....you just need to make sure you use the AI as inteneded and at the correct rate/area.Nowhere on that label does it go down to that volume and on Lo it does that's all I said %$^%^&^

ted putnam
01-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Look guys...I wasn't trying to start an argument. I read it as a label instruction not a "It is suggested that you" or a "It works best if you" type thing. I haven't seen a whole lot of response from what I said so I get the feeling there are quite a few who are unsure.To each their own...

rcreech
01-20-2008, 09:43 PM
Rodney,
Thanks for the PM. I could be totally off base. I guess labels to an extent are open to interpretation by the individual. What kind of Pre emergence do you use in your PG? Do you spray or apply granular bonded with pre-emergence

Labels are just that! As long as you follow the "rules" you are fine! They can't print everything on there! If they say you must do something then you must. But it if doesn't say something then it is definilty left to interpretation!

I will make a phone call tomorrow and find out!

I have been using 19-0-6 Dimension...but when I use liquid I have used Pre M.

rcreech
01-20-2008, 09:44 PM
I will have a post tomorrow proving that I am correct on what I said b4 about low volume spraying directly from the pa dept of ag. no further comment until then so your'e still welcome to talk trash until then I think it's funny because theres so much I could say to rip you apart at times and I keep my mouth shut

Who are you posting this to?

Who is trash talking on here?

Where are you coming from?

rcreech
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Nowhere on that label does it go down to that volume and on Lo it does that's all I said %$^%^&^

What is your problem man? Why are you starting crap?

I didn't point my post towards you....

The label doesn't say everything! It would be 200 pages if it gave you every little morcel of info. I think we are professionals and we are expected to make decisions. I know that I can apply 1 oz/1000 of Three Way and do a great job without off target movement using my PG.

Now...where am I not following the label?

Does a label have to say you can spray low volume to do it? NO

Now if a label tells you NOT to spray low volume, then you better not!

ted putnam
01-20-2008, 09:52 PM
We spray insecticides with our perma green with great results...

What insecticide and what pest if you don't mind me asking?

rcreech
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
Just to let you guys know...I talked to my Lesco man today and we are all fine to spray Three Way with the PG.

He said that he talked to ODA about this in the past and they had no problem with it!

I also talked to him about labels!

If it says it...then that is the law.

If it doesn't say it...then its for us to make the decision...but we better be able to support our decision!

PSUTURFGEEK,

What did you learn today? I think you were supposed to find out something!

Thanks for the friendly PM's :laugh:.

I don't know what I did to you! Why did you go off on this and say I was trash talking you?

Again, I don't post on here unless it is a topic I am familiar with and/or have data to support it! The only thing with labels is sometimes it isn't in black and white so you have to use some educated judgement!

Earlier you stated you could rip me apart on certain topics....(whatever that means).

If I disagree with something or what someone says I post it!

Bring it on...as I love to discuss lawn topics in depth. It is a great way for all of us to learn!

americanlawn
01-21-2008, 05:46 PM
Badmouthing members via PM's rubs me the wrong way. Personal Messages should be thoughtful and kind. If one has a problem with another member, please post it for all to see. That way we can all see what's going on. Threats are a no no. rcreech is a stand-up guy. If he's wrong, so be it. I've never PM'd a fellow member just to chew him out. This ain't no teen chat room. LOL Just guys wanting to learn from the experiences & mistakes from others.

philk17088
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I was just at a seminar where the rep from PBI Gordons talked about low volume applications and mentioned PGs. the guy from PDA was right there and never said boo that it was illegal.

As long as you do not exceed the #/acre of AI it is irrelevant how much volume you use.
That is NOT inconsistent with the label.
To put it more simply if you are applying x lbs/acre at .75 gal/thousand volume or 2.5 gal/thousand, you are still applying x lbs ai per acres.

rcreech
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
I was just at a seminar where the rep from PBI Gordons talked about low volume applications and mentioned PGs. the guy from PDA was right there and never said boo that it was illegal.

As long as you do not exceed the #/acre of AI it is irrelevant how much volume you use.
That is NOT inconsistent with the label.
To put it more simply if you are applying x lbs/acre at .75 gal/thousand volume or 2.5 gal/thousand, you are still applying x lbs ai per acres.

Thanks!

Exactly what I was thinking!

That is the point that I was trying to make, but PSUGEEK had to make a big deal of this and act like he know different!

All ODA (or your state) care about is AI used, not the amount of carrier. I would have thought that PSUGEEK could have figured that out, but for some reason he just wanted to trash me!

ted putnam
01-21-2008, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys, good info to know. I'll be going to my state seminar this Wed &Thurs. One of the classes will be on calibrating ride on spreaders. There will be plenty of State Plant Board personnel there. I'll probably ask just to make sure.

PSUTURFGEEK
01-21-2008, 09:51 PM
[QUOTE=rcreech;2109001]Just to let you guys know...I talked to my Lesco man today and we are all fine to spray Three Way with the PG.

He said that he talked to ODA about this in the past and they had no problem with it!

I also talked to him about labels!

If it says it...then that is the law.

If it doesn't say it...then its for us to make the decision...but we better be able to support our decision!

PSUTURFGEEK,

What did you learn today? I think you were supposed to find out something!

Thanks for the friendly PM's :laugh:.

I don't know what I did to you! Why did you go off on this and say I was trash talking you?

Again, I don't post on here unless it is a topic I am familiar with and/or have data to support it! The only thing with labels is sometimes it isn't in black and white so you have to use some educated judgement!

Earlier you stated you could rip me apart on certain topics....(whatever that means).

If I disagree with something or what someone says I post it!

Bring it on...as I love to discuss lawn topics in depth. It is a great way for all of us to learn![/ Maybe if you spent as much time building you'e own business as you do making stupid comments you would be in alot better shape.

PSUTURFGEEK
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
Badmouthing members via PM's rubs me the wrong way. Personal Messages should be thoughtful and kind. If one has a problem with another member, please post it for all to see. That way we can all see what's going on. Threats are a no no. rcreech is a stand-up guy. If he's wrong, so be it. I've never PM'd a fellow member just to chew him out. This ain't no teen chat room. LOL Just guys wanting to learn from the experiences & mistakes from others.

do some research b4 opening your'e mouth, you have no idea what yor'e talking about, Threats Threats what the **** are you talking about ? you need to get a life and put a little more time into not taking everything in life personal, that only leads to bad health.

rcreech
01-21-2008, 10:04 PM
[QUOTE=rcreech;2109001]Maybe if you spent as much time building you'e own business as you do making stupid comments you would be in alot better shape.

:laugh:

After you make yourself look like an idiot coming off the handle, and I prove you WRONG...this is the best you can come up with! You don't know me or my business...so who is making stupid comments?

DEEEERRRRRRRR!

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

This is what you posted yesterday:

I will have a post tomorrow proving that I am correct on what I said b4 about low volume spraying directly from the pa dept of ag. no further comment until then so your'e still welcome to talk trash until then I think it's funny because theres so much I could say to rip you apart at times and I keep my mouth shut.

So what did you find out?

Who's correct here now buddy!

PSUTURFGEEK
01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
[QUOTE=rcreech;2109098]Thanks!

Exactly what I was thinking!

That is the point that I was trying to make, but PSUGEEK had to make a big deal of this and act like he know different!

All ODA (or your state) care about is AI used, not the amount of carrier. I would have thought that PSUGEEK could have figured that out, but for some reason he just wanted to let us know.

PSUTURFGEEK
01-21-2008, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=PSUTURFGEEK;2109464]

After you make yourself look like an idiot coming off the handle, and I prove you WRONG...this is the best you can come up with! You don't know me or my business...so who is making stupid comments?

DEEEERRRRRRRR!

I will have a post tomorrow proving that I am correct on what I said b4 about low volume spraying directly from the pa dept of ag. no further comment until then so your'e still welcome to talk trash until then I think it's funny because theres so much I could say to rip you apart at times and I keep my mouth shut.

you just keep going don't you, now I know why so many people can't stand dealing with people like you on this site.

PSUTURFGEEK
01-21-2008, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=PSUTURFGEEK;2109464]

DEEEERRRRRRRR!

Number one, I stick to what I said b4 the label doesn't actually show the correct rate for a magnum, number two, after talking to Pa dept of Ag which is one of the toughest in the country, The woman who covers this area said it really comes down to how technical they want to get when stopping someone, she said most of the time theres enough other problems with what the applicator is doing when stopped they wouldn't need to even get that technical.

rcreech
01-21-2008, 10:17 PM
[QUOTE=rcreech;2109492]

you just keep going don't you, now I know why so many people can't stand dealing with people like you on this site.

I am like the ENERGIZER bunny when I am right! I just keep going and going and going etc. :laugh:

I have a lot of great friends on this site and talk to a lot of them routinely...but that isn't why I am on here! It is just a great benefit.

I am on here to LEARN and also to help others! If people leave this site "because of people like me" (whatever that means), that is up to them! What have I done wrong?

I see alot of people come and go on here, but the true addicted LS members always stick around.

Look back and see what this thread went bad!

Started with you buddy!

I just PM'd you back. You said you had a buddy at NuFarm that you were going to talk to about low volume apps with Three Way. What did he have to say? You still haven't said....

PSUTURFGEEK
01-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Your'e right, but the problem is you havn't shut your mouth since and you keep coming with negative comments,

PSUTURFGEEK
01-21-2008, 10:27 PM
[QUOTE=PSUTURFGEEK;2109505]

I am like the ENERGIZER bunny when I am right! I just keep going and going and going etc. :laugh:

I have a lot of great friends on this site and talk to a lot of them routinely...but that isn't why I am on here! It is just a great benefit.

I am on here to LEARN and also to help others! If people leave this site "because of people like me" (whatever that means), that is up to them! What have I done wrong?

I see alot of people come and go on here, but the true addicted LS members always stick around.

Look back and see what this thread went bad!

Started with you buddy!

I just PM'd you back. You said you had a buddy at NuFarm that you were going to talk to about low volume apps with Three Way. What did he have to say? You still haven't said....

He said that's one of the reasons Lo volume products were created, due to the large amount of people using ride on type sprayers. I mean didn't you think at some point chemical companies would catch up with low volume apps or atleast try to, Three-way or the other hundreds of similar blends is a very old combo, not that theres anything wrong with that, but if you look at low volume chems, the 24d is usually alot higher thats all.

ted putnam
01-22-2008, 12:06 AM
This is over the top...way out of hand...and quite frankly in my opinion gotten just a little bit ridiculous! Actually....A lot ridiculous! It was not my intention for the comment in my post to cause things to escalate to this point.

Overall, I think it would be a great benefit to everyone if there was an ego check at the door! JMHO

rcreech
01-22-2008, 10:13 AM
This is over the top...way out of hand...and quite frankly in my opinion gotten just a little bit ridiculous! Actually....A lot ridiculous! It was not my intention for the comment in my post to cause things to escalate to this point.

Overall, I think it would be a great benefit to everyone if there was an ego check at the door! JMHO

Ted,

I totally agree and I would like to apologize to you and everyone else for this episode.

Trust me that none of this happended because of your post. He has attacked me and others before in the past, and it just ticked me off this time and I didn't know where to quit.

If you look at post #17 and #18 you will see the personal attacks that started this out of nowhere! Put yourself in my situation! I will try and handle these attacks better in the future, as I am sure they are not over!

Again I would like to apologize for dropping myself to this level, but sometimes your emotions just take hold!

Have a great one guys!

RC

PSUTURFGEEK
01-23-2008, 12:07 AM
You must really be sorry considering youre whole self centered apology consisted of ripping me and saying it isn't over, what in the world is wrong with you, are you that insecure that a disagreemant on this site has brought you to this, You are truly pathetic. And I apoligize to everyone without knocking him and blaming anyone, the way it should be done.

Whitey4
01-23-2008, 12:41 AM
You must really be sorry considering youre whole self centered apology consisted of ripping me and saying it isn't over, what in the world is wrong with you, are you that insecure that a disagreemant on this site has brought you to this, You are truly pathetic. And I apoligize to everyone without knocking him and blaming anyone, the way it should be done.

Without knocking him? You called him pathetic, and you think you didn't knock him? :dizzy:

PSUTURFGEEK
01-23-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm not the one keeping this going, but I will keep defending myself, so keep it coming if thats all you know

PSUTURFGEEK
01-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Also Pathetic is not a knock it's the truth, I mean come on this is a disagreement between him and me about a product and all he has done is try to get as many other people to come on here and ridicule me with him instead of just making and arguing his point on his own and then moving on, the question is will he ever just move on, so yes Pathetic explains my point perfectly. I stayed away from dragging this on and sure enough tonight he came back on with another post knocking me, so hopefully anyone with any sense who has been in an argument b4 knows it will never end when dealing with someone like this.

ted putnam
01-23-2008, 01:01 AM

And the saga continues.... You're right americanlawn, this ain't no teen chat room, but it sure seems like it has turned into one lately. Everyone has different points of view. We come together,lay our ideas out there for all to see and discuss them. Sometimes we agree. Sometimes we agree that we disagree. Sometimes we come away having learned something or seeing things in a new light. BUT FOR HEAVEN"S SAKE, WE ARE ALL ADULTS and Professionals. As Professionals, we should conduct ourselves accordingly. I have no ill feelings toward either of you guys. You both are knowledgeable and bring excellent information and ideas with you. I don't want or feel that I need an apology. If anyone does it's Scott's Lawn Service. He came here looking for some advice from guys who knew their $hit and ended up in the middle of a "pissing contest" having gained nothing....

Victor
01-23-2008, 01:17 AM
I saw where you said in one of the earlier posts in this thread that you've had good luck spraying post em crab herbicides with your Perma. Since you couldn't have been spraying Drive (agitation), what herbicide did you use? Q4?

Thanks for the feedback Buddy.

ted putnam
01-23-2008, 01:55 AM
I saw where you said in one of the earlier posts in this thread that you've had good luck spraying post em crab herbicides with your Perma. Since you couldn't have been spraying Drive (agitation), what herbicide did you use? Q4?

Thanks for the feedback Buddy.

Vic,
I have used neither the Drive or the Q4 before. What I've done will probably not be much help to you. I have the misfortune of being right in the middle of a major transition zone. I deal with Bermuda, Zoysia, St. Aug, Centipede and Fescue. I have a few lawns that have at least 3 of those in different combinations so I have to be extremely careful what I spray and where I spray it. However, most of my lawns are Bermuda. I use one of 2 mixes. I use MSMA,surfac,Chelated Iron(reduce yellowing) or I use that combination with Sencor 75DG (Metribuzin). Both give excellent crabgrass control. Sencor gives enhanced knockdown of additional grassy weeds. It is a DG so the agitation was a concern. I pre slurry it before adding to the tank and I've found that the PG usually bucks and rocks enough while doing the lawn that it stays pretty well in suspension. I know that probably isn't much help to you but... I have found that even though MSMA is not labeled for Fescue( which for the most part is a weed here), it will not kill it on it's own. It merely yellows it for a couple of mowings. Even though I have not used Drive,(I do plan on trying some this year) The agitation thing may not be that big of a deal if you do like I do with the Sencor, mix what you need and use it immediately....This probably doesn't help you much with your Fescue and Bluegrass lawns. Oh yea, Sencor is not an option for you. It will smoke Fescue in one shot.

Shades of Green LService
01-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi, my name is Shades ... and i am a low volume, 3 way applicator. Something i'm not proud of, but thats why i'm here. The first step to getting clean is admitting you have a problem. Thank you.

Seriously, What the F--- was that all about? Are we in God Damn Grade school.

Victor
01-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I just noticed the caption next to where you state your location as being Jersey "a great place to go bankrupt." That's funny. You're not the only person that feels that way, believe me. :laugh:

Anyway.. Do you do any low-volume post-em crab treatments?

Victor
01-23-2008, 02:32 PM
With all of the different types of grass you deal with, I'd say you really have your work cut out for you!

Scott's Lawn Maintenance
01-23-2008, 04:53 PM
The label for Eliminate Lo (lesco) does have application
rates for low volume equipment. The active ingredients
look to be same as Three-way with the % of 2,4d higher
in eliminate lo.

philk17088
01-23-2008, 05:05 PM
The label for Eliminate Lo (lesco) does have application
rates for low volume equipment. The active ingredients
look to be same as Three-way with the % of 2,4d higher
in eliminate lo.
Look at some more of the labels, a lot of the herbicides have a listing for Herbi application equipment. Those rates are very close to PG rates.

Shades of Green LService
01-23-2008, 05:09 PM
I just noticed the caption next to where you state your location as being Jersey "a great place to go bankrupt." That's funny. You're not the only person that feels that way, believe me. :laugh:

Anyway.. Do you do any low-volume post-em crab treatments?

Hey Vic, This past year i used Drive @1.5 oz in the PG Magnum and had really good results and no turf injury. Wait... I don't think drive is labled for LV spraying. Sorry, .....i have to go turn myself in.:rolleyes: