PDA

View Full Version : my supplier called today...not good news!

buttaluv
01-18-2008, 04:27 PM
He told me Fertilizer prices are going up substantially, and they could only guarantee the prices for like 10 or 15 days....Be ready!!!

EARTHWORKS LANDSCAPE GRP
01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Tried to get 08' fert. pricing yesterday from my supplier, all they were willing to price out was round (1) and (2) pre-emergent. Seemed soooo reluctant to give me anything else. I asked them how I was supposed to bid potential work? I don't know how others do it, but I have our clients sign off on an annual program with a package price. They couldn't even say what the increase would be from last year.

Hissing Cobra
01-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Who's your vendor?

EARTHWORKS LANDSCAPE GRP
01-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Lesco is my vendor

rcreech
01-18-2008, 10:08 PM
I am glad to see this post!

I was going to start a post tonight, as I attended a crop marketing meeting last night and although I got some VERY GOOD news about where grain prices are probably going ($6.00 Corn and $15.00 Beans over the next year)....FERT is going with it!

Fertilizer is trending higher and higher, and next year they are predicting it is going to be VERY UGLY, as we could be looking at another 40 - 50% increase in fert prices.

I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT IF YOU HAVE NOT BOUGHT YOUR FERT YET, OR IF YOU CAN'T UNTIL IN SEASON YOU MAY BE IN TROUBLE!

SUPPLY IS VERY LOW EVERYWERE, AND THE PRICES ARE GOING UP ALMOST WEEKLY! AVAILABLITY OF FERT COULD BE AN ISSUE THIS SEASON!

Just wanted to let you know what I am hearing on the ag side as it is directly related to us on the turf also!

Rayholio
01-18-2008, 10:12 PM
This is what I'm hearing too.. It's one day at a time for ferts.. If you can afford it, order in advance!

Hissing Cobra
01-18-2008, 10:16 PM
I think I'll try to buy stock in the fertilizer companies.

Whitey4
01-18-2008, 10:54 PM
At last week's prices, my cost was going to average around $2.10 per 1k. Some fert apps were cheaper than others, but that was the average. I will be quoting based on $3.00 per 1k. I just can't wait to see wht the low ballers around here do with this. These characters haven't raised prices in a decade! And they mow for $20 for a fifth acre!

I am really pushing the idea that I will scout and personally do the work. Hand pruning, even. I won't survive in the mud of $40 apps and $20 mow and blows. Being a newbie, I am hoping they bump their prices, and cause people to take a second look at property maintenance, giving me a foot in the door. Gotta look for a silver lining somewhere!

PS: Anyone see any media coverage (from a credible source) that talks about the price of ferts? especially something on line that could be printed as a handout?

ampeg76
01-18-2008, 10:58 PM
I am glad to see this post!

I was going to start a post tonight, as I attended a crop marketing meeting last night and although I got some VERY GOOD news about where grain prices are probably going ($6.00 Corn and $15.00 Beans over the next year)....FERT is going with it!

Fertilizer is trending higher and higher, and next year they are predicting it is going to be VERY UGLY, as we could be looking at another 40 - 50% increase in fert prices.

I CAN PROMISE YOU THAT IF YOU HAVE NOT BOUGHT YOUR FERT YET, OR IF YOU CAN'T UNTIL IN SEASON YOU MAY BE IN TROUBLE!

SUPPLY IS VERY LOW EVERYWERE, AND THE PRICES ARE GOING UP ALMOST WEEKLY! AVAILABLITY OF FERT COULD BE AN ISSUE THIS SEASON!

Just wanted to let you know what I am hearing on the ag side as it is directly related to us on the turf also!

ordering ahead is good, i will agree..................

but no one will be safe from the rising costs, at best you will beat out this seasons rise, but with lower profit margins for most, buying ahead is going to get tougher and harder as time goes by!

the u.s. is finally going to feel the true costs of fossil fuels and every product tied to it

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-19-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm lucky for the first & second round-My supplier had the foresight to buy ahead & pass along the savings. My price for granular fert + dimension, or barricade is $14.50-$16.00/bag, & 30-0-10 w/ uflex 1%Fe $13.75/bag. One thing good about going with a smaller supplier-You may be a small fish in the national pond, but a large one to them:) Now, where to store all of this:dizzy:

ted putnam
01-19-2008, 07:47 PM
I think the price increase I had should cover things...for awhile. I've lost 12 customers so far because of it. I guess it could be worse. I sure do hate to hear all of this though. I was hoping things would calm down a little into the summer. Sounds like that was too much to hope for.