PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Spray Equipment

GravelyGuy
01-19-2008, 12:30 AM
I really need to upgrade my spray equipment before this coming spring if possible. I have a Shindaiwa spreader, Echo gas 5 gal. BP sprayer, and a pull behind unit from tractor supply. This stuff will get the job done, but is really not ideal for bigger yards.

I have considered the ride on units, but they are a little more than I can spend right now so I am looking at skid sprayers.

How much area can I cover with a skid sprayer? I guess my question is, how long of a hose can you use? What do you do if it won't reach all they way around the back?

I really don't know of any other options. Thanks for the help.:)

GravelyGuy
01-19-2008, 12:34 AM
How does this look? It has a Honda engine and Comet pump.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329207_200329207

What does a typical 200 gallon Lesco etc. run?

bug-guy
01-19-2008, 08:11 AM
are you going to put it in a p/u truck?
check out the lesco spacesaver

Victor
01-19-2008, 11:03 AM
You know Ryan, I can't say enough good things about Gregson-Clarke skid sprayers (sorry Bill :laugh:). One of the many benefits I think it has over a Lesco Space Saver, is the fact that it comes with a larger capacity hose reel than Space Savers come with. I bought a V-200 model skid from Rhett. I had him load it with 400' of 3/8" hose, but if I remember correctly, the reels that come on V-200's can hold 600' of 3/8" spray hose if you want to have that much length on the reel.
There would be very few properties you couldn't service with that much hose on the truck. I'd recommend that you give Rhett at Gregson-Clarke a call. Their a sponsor of this forum and his link is at the top of the page.

GravelyGuy
01-19-2008, 11:17 AM
are you going to put it in a p/u truck?
check out the lesco spacesaver

That or I will put it on my trailer. I have also considered getting a small trailer just for my sprayer.

I will check out Gregson-Clark. This looks like a sweet deal, but I can't get them to send me an actual picture. I emailed them yesterday. The auction ends in 2 hours:cry:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=190191184314&Category=29520&_trksid=p3907.m29

Thanks...

RigglePLC
01-19-2008, 11:37 AM
A 200 gallon carries 1660 pounds of water when full--you need a heavy duty pickup.

Did you mean you had a "pull behind unit" on little wheels? On trailer? Electric or gas?
If it is gas, just put it on your truck. All you really need is a bigger tank and a reel plus hose. You may already have a "Nurse tank" for the pull behind.

A pull behind unit is suitable for those big lawns, and since you can spray at 4 mph it will be faster than walking with a hose. You need the skid sprayer with a hose for those small and medium size lawns and with lots of flower beds etc, that do not fit the pull behind unit--yet are too big for the back pack. Perhaps you can put a short hose on the pull behind so that you can stop and cover areas that are confined or close to flowers and shrubs.
I assume you are spraying at low volume and low pressure and that you are not planning to mix fertilizer with your herbicide.

GravelyGuy
01-19-2008, 11:57 AM
I have this sprayer except mine is 30 gallons. It's fine, I just want to get away from having to bring the ZTR and everything to make an application. It can a real pain.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_48642_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1

With the tips that it came with I have overspray trouble also. I have to move along really slow to get enough AI on the target.

bill8379
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
You know Ryan, I can't say enough good things about Gregson-Clarke skid sprayers (sorry Bill :laugh:). One of the many benefits I think it has over a Lesco Space Saver, is the fact that it comes with a larger capacity hose reel than Space Savers come with. I bought a V-200 model skid from Rhett. I had him load it with 400' of 3/8" hose, but if I remember correctly, the reels that come on V-200's can hold 600' of 3/8" spray hose if you want to have that much length on the reel.
There would be very few properties you couldn't service with that much hose on the truck. I'd recommend that you give Rhett at Gregson-Clarke a call. Their a sponsor of this forum and his link is at the top of the page.

You took the words right out of my mouth:laugh:

Seriously, that does sound like a very nice set up. The dealer around my parts didn't even phone me back with a quote or email me. *make note to self, always return customers phone calls because when you don't you look like an idiot*

I'm going to start with back packs though, if I get a hundred customers then I'll look at these skids. All this talk about drastic increases in fert cost and the fact that it might be scarce, is making me double think my plans. I don't think I'll be so eager to phase out other services.

btw, Clark(e) has no e:)

oh, did you have your skid shipped to you? I can't find any shipping info on their site (I live in Winnipeg) if Better can do it.. plus I had a 36" toro shipped up here last year

GravelyGuy
01-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I had to make a decision quick as the auction was about to end. From the prices I've gathered, this seemed like a deal to me. It has a Honda engine and a comet pump just like my pressure washer which I love. The frame looks to be upgraded in comparison to the older North Star units. The thing weighs 550 pounds. I spoke with the seller this morning and he sent me an actual pic. He said it is refurbed, but from the pic it looks really good.

I go to pick it up this coming Friday. It's an 8 hour drive, still better than $612 shipped:dizzy: I'll post up the pic he sent me for you to see. This should work out well for me. I've never used one before.:laugh:

GravelyGuy
01-19-2008, 02:28 PM
Here's a pic.

xtremelawn
01-20-2008, 12:18 PM
A 200 gallon carries 1660 pounds of water when full--you need a heavy duty pickup.

Did you mean you had a "pull behind unit" on little wheels? On trailer? Electric or gas?
If it is gas, just put it on your truck. All you really need is a bigger tank and a reel plus hose. You may already have a "Nurse tank" for the pull behind.

A pull behind unit is suitable for those big lawns, and since you can spray at 4 mph it will be faster than walking with a hose. You need the skid sprayer with a hose for those small and medium size lawns and with lots of flower beds etc, that do not fit the pull behind unit--yet are too big for the back pack. Perhaps you can put a short hose on the pull behind so that you can stop and cover areas that are confined or close to flowers and shrubs.
I assume you are spraying at low volume and low pressure and that you are not planning to mix fertilizer with your herbicide.

This may be a stupid question but i am new to spraying.

What is a Nurse Tank?

Thanks

RigglePLC
01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
A nurse tank is used to refill the back pack and the 30 gal pull-behind. Of course it should have a cute hat and wear sensible white shoes.

jspray
01-20-2008, 11:01 PM
We use Proedge sprayers. Check them out at proedgesprayers.com.

FL-lawnjockey
01-27-2008, 06:30 AM
Hey, GravelyGuy. Did you ever pick up this unit? If so, any thoughts on quality or things you'll change/upgrade?

Rob

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=97418&stc=1&d=1200767266

GravelyGuy
01-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Yes, I have it. I left on Friday morning at 9:00 AM and I got there at 6:40 PM, they closed at 7:00 Wheww:hammerhead: I stopped to eat and got back on the road and made it home at 6:45 AM. It snowed most of the trip and the roads where very unpredictable. I saw 3 semis jacknifed in the ditch, 1 car and 2 suvs on their roofs and countless other cars off the road. It was pretty bad lol. Thank god I had 550 pounds in the bed on the way home.

The guys that worked their were complete A$$holes BTW. They told me that I needed to leave and come back in the morning since their forklift guy had left after we had agreed on the time and I had confirmed it that morning. I got big on them real quick and they changed their mind, but they were not friendly.

I will take pictures soon and post them for you. Everything looks very nice. The frame around everything is really beefy. I obviously havn't had the chance to use it yet. At this point I am trying to figure out how to get it out of my truck and onto my trailer.

I forgot to mention, I did not get the handle for the hose reel. It was supposed to be in the instruction bag. I have a feeling this is going to be a real problem trying to get it from these jokers. I'll keep you posted.

Victor
01-27-2008, 02:22 PM
You said that they forgot to give you the handle for your reel? It doesn't have an electric rewind reel? You're going to have to hand crank it?

GravelyGuy
01-27-2008, 02:40 PM
It has both. You have to hook a battery up to the reel to use the electric. Are they all like this or do some run off the engine?

Victor
01-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I was afraid you were going to have to hand-crank that thing after treating each lawn. Believe me when I tell you that you don't want any part of that. I don't know of any engine-powered winding mechanisms on hose reels. That's not to say that there aren't any out there though.

GravelyGuy
01-27-2008, 02:56 PM
I plan to hook up the electric, but I definitely want to get the handle for back up. This is all new to me, but I can imagine this hose will be pretty heavy to drag around and wind up.

GravelyGuy
01-30-2008, 05:12 PM
Here is some pics of the sprayer. Anyone have an idea about putting it on my trailer. Will the trailer be off balance with this much weight ot one side? Do you think this is way to much weight to put in front of the axle?

ted putnam
01-30-2008, 06:28 PM
I personally would center it over the axles. That probably makes it inconvenient for you to put equipment in it unless you had a side gate put on your trailer like I did. The problem with putting that much weight forward of the axles is it can cause your trailer to fish tail. A half full tank sloshing could amplify this. One other thing. I would mount it where the hose peels off the reel easily to the passenger side. It looks like the hose is set up to reel and unreel from the rear. In most cases this will be a royal pain, even if you mounted hose guides. Lokks like a nice sprayer. Congrats!

GravelyGuy
01-30-2008, 07:09 PM
It's just sitting on there right now out of my way. I haven't decided how I'm going to put it on there. I would like to be able to put it over the center of the axle, but that would make the trailer useless for anything else. If I had an unlimited budget I would just go out and get a small 6x12 enclosed trailer and just use it for spraying or better yet I would pick up another truck and dedicate it to spraying only.

RigglePLC
01-31-2008, 12:38 PM
Gravely,
don't worry about the wind up handle--you will probably never use it. I mean you are connecting it to the truck battery, right?

And yes you should rotate the reel to peel off from the side. You may need to add a brace or a short platform.

I suggest a plastic or rust free metal roof over the motor so that grass clippings, weed spray and whatever drips off the hose does not drip onto the motor.

Rust is a common problem--be ready to paint every winter.

Try to get your chemical dealer to move it from your truck to your trailer. Or possibly you could slide it out of your truck or trailer with a come-along or a boat winch. You may need a pulley when going in the opposite direction.

GravelyGuy
02-02-2008, 04:03 PM
Gravely,
don't worry about the wind up handle--you will probably never use it. I mean you are connecting it to the truck battery, right?

And yes you should rotate the reel to peel off from the side. You may need to add a brace or a short platform.

I suggest a plastic or rust free metal roof over the motor so that grass clippings, weed spray and whatever drips off the hose does not drip onto the motor.

Rust is a common problem--be ready to paint every winter.

Try to get your chemical dealer to move it from your truck to your trailer. Or possibly you could slide it out of your truck or trailer with a come-along or a boat winch. You may need a pulley when going in the opposite direction.

Sorry for the delay getting back, the snow has kept me busy. I will have to take a close look once the snow melts to see how hard it would be to turn the reel.

Are you able to wire the electric reel through the wiring on your trailer?

Thanks...

ted putnam
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Sorry for the delay getting back, the snow has kept me busy. I will have to take a close look once the snow melts to see how hard it would be to turn the reel.

Are you able to wire the electric reel through the wiring on your trailer?

Thanks...

I use a deep cell marine battery. It'll hold a charge for a very long time and you don't have to hook and unhook. I give mine an overnight charge 5 or 6 times a year and I'm good to go.

RigglePLC
02-02-2008, 05:41 PM
I do not use a trailer, but I am sure that wiring on the trailer for the lights is much to light to drive the reel motor(except real slow). Too skinny unless you want it to catch fire. You need fat wire. About the size of battery booster cables. Look at the wire that comes out of the motor--you need same size wire or bigger to carry the heavy current load. A hot wire--and a ground. Whether the battery is on the trailer or the truck--put a big fuse near the battery. Never done this, but someone here must know if you can hook up the trailer battery to the trailer wiring so that you charge as you drive and never have to hook up the charger.

GravelyGuy
02-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the help.