PDA

View Full Version : Weed suppression around ponds

J.J.
01-19-2008, 09:57 AM
What chemicals do you use for weed suppression around ponds. I will mainly be spraying the rock wrap.

RigglePLC
01-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Probably the Roundup aquatic formulation is a good bet, I think it is called Rodeo. Take look at the label. Maybe Ric will comment as he is familiar with this idea. Here is the link:
http://www.dowagro.com/ivm/highway/prod/rodeo.htm

J.J.
01-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Rodeo was my thought as well, but I have never used it, so I did not know how well it worked.

Ric
01-19-2008, 03:22 PM
JJ

Glyphosate Aquatic is manufactured by both Monsanto and NuFarms. It is sold under a Variety of Names. But it is 53% Glyphosate with no surfactants added. Therefore you must add Methylated Seed oil Aquatic Labelled to it. The Methylated Seed Oil costs more than the Glyphosate.

Aquatic weed management is more than just spraying Glyphosate. Algae and other submerged weeds can not be controlled by Glyphosate. Cattails are especially hard to control and are best dug out. Contact Helena Chemical and ask to speak with there aquatic salesman for a better understanding of other chemicals available for ponds.

Don't forget Grass Eating Carp as a culture control for submerged weeds and algae.

Yes RU will work but it also cause some funny looking frogs and fish. The Ag inspector might not like you using RU and give you a nice big fine.

silverscapes
01-19-2008, 05:57 PM
i agree with ric but you can also put some 2-4d in under certain usage just check the label:usflag:

J.J.
01-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Ric thanks for the great info.

The customer just wants the rock wrap around the pond sprayed for the weeds groing up in them. They have a vine that grows up in the rock half way around the pond.

Whitey4
01-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Carp? Man, I hate that idea for use as a control! I've seen carp overwhelm native game fish populations. Introduce carp, you better introduce some carp predators too, or ruin the fishery! LMB's can't bed if there are too many carp around. Aside from that, the carp won't feed on the most invasive pest water weeds, only the desirable ones. Even crappie and perch populations can be devastated by carp. I'd rather put a swim suit and a snorkel on, and do some mechanical controls before carp!

Ric
01-19-2008, 08:32 PM
i agree with ric but you can also put some 2-4d in under certain usage just check the label:usflag:

Weedar 64 is a 2-4,d that is labelled for aquatics and can also be used on Lawns for selective weed control.

Don't spend the Money on Rodeo when the same product is a Off Brand Made in the same Plant.

Carp? Man, I hate that idea for use as a control! I've seen carp overwhelm native game fish populations. Introduce carp, you better introduce some carp predators too, or ruin the fishery! LMB's can't bed if there are too many carp around. Aside from that, the carp won't feed on the most invasive pest water weeds, only the desirable ones. Even crappie and perch populations can be devastated by carp. I'd rather put a swim suit and a snorkel on, and do some mechanical controls before carp!

Whitey

Here is a quick Google about Triploid carp. I didn't read it so I might not of given you a good link. Triploid Carp can not reproduce. The eggs of the diloid carp are put under pressure and cause the new hatchlings to be sterile triploid carp. With the Drought all our ponds are very low and the birds are having a Carp Feast.

Whitey4
01-19-2008, 10:26 PM
Weedar 64 is a 2-4,d that is labelled for aquatics and can also be used on Lawns for selective weed control.

Don't spend the Money on Rodeo when the same product is a Off Brand Made in the same Plant.

Whitey

Here is a quick Google about Triploid carp. I didn't read it so I might not of given you a good link. Triploid Carp can not reproduce. The eggs of the diloid carp are put under pressure and cause the new hatchlings to be sterile triploid carp. With the Drought all our ponds are very low and the birds are having a Carp Feast.

OK, cool! Never heard of them, and I suspected something was weird when you made the suggestion. This makes a whole lot more sense. As a game fisherman, which has so far until now been my only exposure to carp, they are aquatic pests that are almost impossible to control without a total kill. The DEC here has actually used drag nets, and returns the game and food fish, while culling carp. They can't get all of them, and in a few years, the problem comes back. The Europeans like them as a food fish, but I've heard they are kinda nasty on the palette.

Me, I don't go near water at all. Or schools. (people schools, not fish schools!) Just isn't worth the complications. My territory is tight, and landlocked. I am in the center of LI... no ponds, lakes, shorelines.

Ric
01-20-2008, 04:03 PM
Whitey

And here I thought you were wet behind the ears.

Whitey4
01-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Whitey

And here I thought you were wet behind the ears.

And, in the literal sense, you were wrong! Otherwise, no arguement!

teeca
01-20-2008, 09:14 PM
not sure about the effects of the grasss carp in the southern states, but up here in the north they pretty much suck for weed control. here is the problem with the grass carp first hand... 1) they don't eat very much the first 1-3yrs of life. 2) then they go on a eating spree 3-5yrs. 3) then they roll around in the pond not eating until they die, which is a long time. 4) you need a special permit to have them in a pond. 5)they WILL NOT EAT ALGAE!!! 6) copper sulfate and the like will kill them in less then 4hrs. 7) barly straw for the treatment of algae in a pond with grass carp will lessen the likly hood off a grass carp kill, but it still can cause death, and it cost 4x's more.

teeca
01-20-2008, 09:22 PM
What chemicals do you use for weed suppression around ponds. I will mainly be spraying the rock wrap.

you might want to make sure you have either a 'right of way' or an 'aquatics' license. i use rodeo or reward for weed control. for cat tails, i use rodeo + pentrabark, the key to control/elimination is timing. you need to hit them in the early summer as they start, or in the late summer as they go dormant for the winter. 24d will not effect cat tails.

J.J.
01-21-2008, 07:25 AM
In kansas I believe I will need my aquatics licenses. I have not checked with the my state investigator yet, but I definatly will before the season starts. That is a fine I don't need.

shaneb
01-21-2008, 09:30 AM
Check www.lakelawnandpond.com for information on all aquatic weed control options.

upidstay
01-21-2008, 04:42 PM
You can spray Round Up right up to the edge of the pond, just not in the pond itself. Rodeo is basically Round Up, but is labeled for ponds. I would check your local state regs, just to CYA.

teeca
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
it's the surfactant in round up that's harmful, rodeo you need to add your own NON-IONIC surfactant. pbi gordon make a version of rodeo called glypho41 and it says it has surfactant in it, but i always spike mine with more.

Ric
01-21-2008, 07:14 PM
You can spray Round Up right up to the edge of the pond, just not in the pond itself. Rodeo is basically Round Up, but is labeled for ponds. I would check your local state regs, just to CYA.

Upidstay

I believe you need to read a RoundUp label. You can not even spray Roundup in a drainage area. Fools like you are the reason we lose Chemicals tools each year. If you can't take the time to read and do it correctly, Don't do it at all.

ArizPestWeed
01-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Upidstay

I believe you need to read a RoundUp label. You can not even spray Roundup in a drainage area. Fools like you are the reason we lose Chemicals tools each year. If you can't take the time to read and do it correctly, Don't do it at all.

R U sure about this , Ric , maybe not roundup , but you can with other gly products

Ric
01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
R U sure about this , Ric , maybe not roundup , but you can with other gly products

Glyphosate in it's self is not harmful to Aquatic life. It goes inert on contact with large volumes of water and then is eaten by microbes. It is the surfactant that is harmful to Aquatic life. Although most Glyphosate products are made by either Monsanto or Nufarm, there are other manufactures.

WHAT IS THE FIRST RULE 0F CHEMICAL APPLICATION?????????????

READ THE LABEL