PDA

View Full Version : Where to find information on JD 510D backhoe buckets?

gamartin88
01-19-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm looking for some good sites/forums/etc for information on my 1980 model 510D backhoe.

Right now I'm looking for another larger bucket(36") for the backhoe(preferable used). But I'd also like to find a place to get some service manuals and other repair information on it. I've found several places to buy manuals online but was hoping I might find some PDF files or something I could download for free. The manuals seem to run in the 100-300 range.

TIA

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a184/galenmartin/backhoe.jpg

Fieldman12
01-19-2008, 02:38 PM
The link I have attached has allot of good people that can help you with the backhoe. http://www.heavyequipmentforums.com/Forum/index.php I was recently looking for a manual for my Deere skid steer and they wanted $130.00 at the dealer. You can download the PDF version of my manual from the Deere website for around $60.00.

Fieldman12
01-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Not a bad looking old backhoe. I have used my buddies old 410 a good bit.

Gravel Rat
01-19-2008, 07:21 PM
The old 510s are a decent sized machine for their age. I looked at a 710 Deere at Ritchie Bros a last year now that is a big backhoe.

Your best bet is to buy any backhoe bucket and change the lugging on it. A good welding shop can make new bucket lugging.

Dirt Digger2
01-20-2008, 01:02 PM
i doubt that thing can handle a 3 foot bucket

ksss
01-20-2008, 01:20 PM
i doubt that thing can handle a 3 foot bucket

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw it. Unless the ground is soft, I would stick with a 2' or 30" bucket. It is not a production type hoe anyway. I would not try and kill it using a big bucket.

Speaking of the 710, take a look at the spec. sheet even compared to CATs 450. That 710 is like a rubber tired track hoe.

bobcat_ron
01-20-2008, 02:27 PM
My dad had a 44" bucket on his 943 Bobcat mounted MF backhoe, very similar in size and age as the one pictured.

MRBsx2
01-20-2008, 03:10 PM
That backhoe will handle a three foot bucket no doubt. I run a 34" smooth bottom bucket with no teeth on my John deere 110 and it has no problems, and it has less power then that 510. as long as your not in shitty dirt all the time.

Dirt Digger2
01-20-2008, 03:27 PM
but your 34" bucket has a lot less capacity then a bucket that would go on that machine...plus with no teeth you don't get yourself into nearly as much problems as you can get yourself into with teeth...i pull my Case 580 SM all around with a 3 foot bucket when i am digging in harder ground because a toothed bucket will grab onto hard ground and rock and pull the back end of your machine down and can even lift the front off the ground...the more teeth you have the more there is to grip...the one reason that machine may be able to handle a 3 foot bucket is because it doesn't have an extenda-hoe

ksss
01-20-2008, 03:28 PM
That backhoe will handle a three foot bucket no doubt. I run a 34" smooth bottom bucket with no teeth on my John deere 110 and it has no problems, and it has less power then that 510. as long as your not in shitty dirt all the time.

I also have a 50" clean out bucket for my TK, but that would not be the same 50" bucket that I would get to put on my 160. The width of the bucket is misleading when talking about different classes of machines. The difference is in capacity (measured in cubic yards). A 3' fullsize backhoe bucket will have much more capacity then a 3' mini ex bucket (which is more a long the lines of your machine) as a 3' bucket on a full size excavator is a bigger 3' bucket than what is on a backhoe.

If the 3' bucket sought after on this hoe is a true backhoe bucket that is a big bucket. My thought was given the bucket breakout forces on those older machines it would be quite a workout to handle such a bucket.

MRBsx2
01-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Yeah thats fine and i agree with you both because i have bigger hoes too and i know how they dig and pull (310sg) but to say that the machine cant handle the bucket at all is wrong bc it all depends on what your going to do with it, sure if he wants to dig deep into rockey or any soil that machine will strugle but if hes using it for light work or clean up & smoothing up dirt it will be fine thats all i was saying.

Construct'O
01-20-2008, 09:39 PM
I would check Ebay and see if they have something that will fit or a used bucket that you can change the pin boss(ears) on it to make it fit your machine.

I have a 911 Deere (extendahoe) backhoe for my CTL and i got a 36" bucket ,but it came with a 24" bucket which the machine handles surprisingly well.

My thought for the 36" bucket was that it came with the deal,and i thought i would be able to use it for sepitc laterals in my area,the cambers will be shallow not more then 3' max and the digging will be mustly soft clay and top soil.

Needed the 36" bucket to make the trench wide enough for the 34" cambers.Other wish i won't have gotten the 36" bucket ,but i could get it for the same cost of 18" bucket:confused:.:usflag:

2004F550
01-21-2008, 09:02 AM
that thing we handle a 36 clean up and probably a digging bucket. We had one exactly like it until we traded for a 710D and it has good power and a very large backhoe.