PDA

View Full Version : Trailer ?

Mowman
10-26-2001, 04:17 PM
Do you guy's & gal's try to keep your trailer LEVEL? I see many LC with their trailer's unlevel some not to bad some are very steep angles. Just looks unsafe to me. Mostly on full size trucks I see this happening. On my S-10 I'm using a Class lll Hitch with a 2" Drop insert, which makes the trailer perfectly level. Is it alright to haul a trailer that is that UNLEVEL? Just would like to know what everyone else thinks about this.

Mowman

captdevo
10-26-2001, 04:28 PM
unlevel is unsafe,

*harder to stop if the trailer has no brakes

* handles worst

*unstable load

* tends to swerve when braking, if it does have brakes

*easier to jackknife

It is best to keep it level, whether with lift or drop hitches or load levelers on the tow vehicle

Dave

mowerguy
10-26-2001, 04:35 PM
Definently level.

I have my trailer level behind my truck. Besides the fact that i think it looks better i agree with captdevo in that unlevel is unsafe. also if the trailer is unlevel everything would slide to the back or front when you drove depending on which way your trailer tipped

jason

geogunn
10-26-2001, 04:37 PM
it seems to me that if someone's trailer is at an angle to the truck so severe that it causes problems that yes indeed-de there is a problem.

but for those with short ramps it can be the answer to a problem which is with the rear of the trailer lower, the angle of the ramp to the trailer is decreased and the mower less likely to drag.

however, to respond to the question, my trailer is level by the use of a drop hitch insert.

GEO

lawn jockey
10-26-2001, 08:16 PM
Yes level is the best way! You dont see people pulling dozers,backhoe's or anything else unlevel is dangerous for sure!

Green Care
10-26-2001, 08:16 PM
Level Level

Runner
10-26-2001, 08:26 PM
Definitely level it.

GreenQuest Lawn
10-26-2001, 08:29 PM
Yes level. To me it looks silly not to. Not to mention the saftey concerns.

mdb landscaping
10-26-2001, 08:51 PM
yep. mine is level. i think it looks really bad towing around an unlevel trailer, not to mention its not safe.

gene gls
10-26-2001, 09:12 PM
I belive 17" is the standerd toung higth for trailers. I use an 8" drop, whitch is the lowest standered hich. My 16' trailer is 2" lower in the back whitch makes it easier getting mowers on and off. I strap every thing down all the time for traveling.

Heavy equipement trailers are in a different class and use pintal hooks.

Gene

alabubba
10-26-2001, 09:17 PM
Level is indeed safer. Why, you ask?

When braking, the force that the trailer puts into the rear of the truck is transmitted through the trailer frame to the hitch. If the trailer frame is at an angle, then the force vector has two components: a horizontal component, and a vertical component. The vertical component acts to lift the back of the truck.

Now this ordinarily is not a problem. But I'm sure you can remember having to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision at least once (I sure have, more than once). Now imagine that on a wet slick spot on the road.

Rear wheel traction goes down. Truck fishtails. Now the back end of the truck is not only being pushed up by the trailer, it is being pushed up and sideways. How bad can this be? Very bad indeed, some of the time.

Remember too, when you use the roads in commerce, your business can be wiped out even if you didn't "cause" the accident. If a suitor can show that you contributed at all to conditions that made the effect of the accident worse, you and your business may incur civil liability.

My advice, for what it's worth...don't play with fire.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-28-2001, 07:28 AM
Level is the way to go..

Besides the mentioned unsafe results incurred by the angled trailers, the ball , especially on smaller trailers can become popped off in some circumstances. This can cause the trialer to go it's own way !! Especially for those who dont' think they need saftey chains..

SOme equipment trailers use standard ball hitches too.. I have a 16 foot 4 ton trailer that uses a 2 and 5/16th s ball. the ball and hitch are also rated for 10,000 lbs with a class 5 hitch..