PDA

View Full Version : Manual or Automatic Trans?

Mowman
10-26-2001, 04:24 PM
What trans are most of you using? Right now I have a manual in my S-10. Seems to work alright until it comes to backing the trailer up on a incline. Tends to STALL sometimes. I know operator ERROR right. I'm looking to UPGRADE trucks this fall and want to make the RIGHT choice this time as far as engine,trans, and gear ratio.
What are the + and - of each in your IMHO? Also what gear ratio would you suggest to match the engine and trans combo. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mowman

Barkleymut
10-26-2001, 08:15 PM
Manual is always better especially when you are hauling a trailer. You can downshift to save the brakes on extended downslopes. Also if you are good at shifting it will save you gas $$$. Manual is also easier to repair than an auto. I also just like driving a stick better than an auto.

MATTHEW
10-27-2001, 08:54 PM
I agree! But, I do alot of city driving and pushing that clutch in 600 times a day gets old. When I get in my Chevy its like siitin' in the easy chair.;)

Mowingman
10-27-2001, 09:26 PM
I have a 1 ton with a manual and a 3/4 ton with an automatic. Both are diesels. The standard is a pain to drive all day in city traffic while winding through residendial neighborhoods and making 20+ stops to do lawns. The manual is good for heavy lugging when hauling a trailer load of topsoil or a bobcat loader, But give me an automatic for day in day out service.
I don't know what size truck you are looking at, but in the 3/4 and 1 ton sizes, a standard is NOT cheaper to repair or replace. I was a fleet maint mgr and equip. buyer up until 2 years ago and I can tell you from experience that an automatic is cheaper in the long run. You will need a clutch someday on a std., and they can easily run 800.00+ on this size truck. Also, it is almost always cheaper to put in a rebuilt auto trans than it is to rebuild or replace a std.trans. It seems like almost everyone believes the false assumption that stds. are cheaper to repair. This is not generally true with todays transmissions. :)

m&m
10-29-2001, 07:46 PM
i agree whole heartedly with mowing man.i ahve been there already.need i say more?

Flex-Deck
11-04-2001, 06:56 PM
My V10 3/4 ton dodge with an auto trans. has been trouble free so far. - 85K. and it has had a 24' Van Trailer behind it for a lot of miles.