PDA

View Full Version : Dump bed rising VERY slowly

Markf
01-20-2008, 10:01 AM
We have a 2001 F550, 7.3 l with an electric lift. I started the truck yesterday without a problem and pushed the up switch to raise the bed. It moved at a snail's pace. This has never happened before. It also moves up quite quickly. It has sat in the driveway for several weeks without being started and the temperature was 30F.

Any thoughts?

Mark

Landrus2
01-20-2008, 10:08 AM
The hydraulic oil got to thick you are back in bushiness when temperatures rise not to worrier :drinkup:

AI Inc
01-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Did you look at the volt meter when raising?

Markf
01-20-2008, 11:55 AM
NO. Will do and let you know. Would it matter if the truck is running or not? I assume that if there is a problem, I should see a major drop in the volt meter. Correct?
Mark

AI Inc
01-20-2008, 12:03 PM
NO. Will do and let you know. Would it matter if the truck is running or not? I assume that if there is a problem, I should see a major drop in the volt meter. Correct?
Mark

If the volt metor nosedives it is probably time for a new battery. If battery is somewhat new it just may be weak, you did say it hasnt been run in a while , correct?

AceFinish
01-20-2008, 01:47 PM
We have a 2001 F550, 7.3 l with an electric lift. I started the truck yesterday without a problem and pushed the up switch to raise the bed. It moved at a snail's pace. This has never happened before. It also moves up quite quickly. It has sat in the driveway for several weeks without being started and the temperature was 30F.

Any thoughts?

Mark
Yah check the battery first which if it is bad will help the lifting power but it sounds like the fluid is cold this happens every year to our trucks because our shop where we store our dump trucks is not heated. Once the fluid heats up you will be golden.

Markf
01-20-2008, 05:24 PM
If the oil is too thick from being cold, wouldn't that stop machinery (e.g. backhoes) from functioning on a cold day?

Mark

PORTER 05
01-20-2008, 06:03 PM
same thing happened in our 89 dump - we where doing clean-ups when it was very cold out---

i then checked the hydro-fluid and it was almost gone, so i put in 2 full QTS and it still dint top it off, but it started working perfect! , but the temp had come up to about 40 though......

nothing works in the cold...

plus you shouldnt let the truck sit all that time and not run it, + it being a diesel.

SpruceLandscape
01-20-2008, 06:11 PM
Was probably a combination of the truck sitting for a while in the cold and the battery being week. Did you try to cycle the dump right after you started it? This could also have been part of the problem if the glow plugs were still cycling, the truck was cold, battery was discharged, and then you put another big load on it by trying to operate the dump. Also, the fluid could have been a little bit thick which makes the electric motor work harder. Did it sound normal? could you tell if the electric motor sounded a little slower? or was there maybe some air in the pump that didn't purge out since its been sitting a while? All these could be factors, but you should check the hydraulic fluid to be on the safe side.

laird006
01-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Check the fluid level. Mine will go up slow and actually start surging when it gets low.

muddstopper
01-20-2008, 07:48 PM
When checking for voltage, dont forget to check connections. Often it isnt the battery but the cables instead. Corrosion of the ground or positve post will result in low amp draw and possible elect motor overheat/burnout.

If hoist is getting sufficient elect. Check fluid levels and to see if fluids are contaminated with water. Water can freeze in the filter also and cause poor fluid circulation or stop if from working altogether. If Moisture is detected, drain hyd. tank and refill with dextron III transmission fluid. DextronIII is common in lots of hydraulic equipment nowdays ( and available at the local 7/11 stores) and works superior in cold weather over the rando68 type hydraulic fluids.

Markf
02-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Well the answer is it was the temperature. It warmed up around here for a few days. When it was in the 40's the bed rose at the speed it is suppose to. However your suggestions will be looked into, such as drain and refill. Thanks.
Mark