PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to buy a machine

Fieldman12
01-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Just wondered if there was a certain time of year to get the best deals on brand new skid steer or CTL. Im not looking to buy anything but would like to keep it for future reference. I would think there would be better deals in the winter with possible left over models but maybe I am wrong.

bobcat_ron
01-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Start looking now, apparently the sky is going to fall, so some (not all) are getting rid of the newer SSL/CTL equipment they bought last year and they can't keep up with the payments.

ksss
01-20-2008, 03:39 PM
Just wondered if there was a certain time of year to get the best deals on brand new skid steer or CTL. Im not looking to buy anything but would like to keep it for future reference. I would think there would be better deals in the winter with possible left over models but maybe I am wrong.

I think you tend to see better insentive programs in the Winter months. One thing to keep in mind is that by buying hold over models, the machine is a model year old before you have put an hour on it. That may not be a huge deal if you keep them a long time, but if you trade out often it is a big deal. If you check the values of a particular machine from one model year to the next your losing a couple grand or more in resale/trade value per year. You have to look at the rebates or incentive programs to be sure that you will come out on the deal if you buy a hold over machine. I also look to see what improvements have been made in the newest model compared to the hold over machine.

I think when Deere finally releases a new control system you will see killer deals on the current models. You have to decide if running the pilots or whatever they come up with is worth the additional money (or lack of reduced price however you want to look at it). Trade values will also be a big consideration when that occurs with Deere. The pilots will likely be much more sought after on the used market than the current system (unless it turns out to be a POS). The guys that buy a machine and put their hired help in it probably don't put much thought into having the latest updated machine. I still spend a lot of time in a machine and so for guys like me and YellowDog it sounds like it is a big deal. If your an owner/operator centered operation that depends on a skid steer you want to the best, most productive machine you can get at the time. At least I do.

ksss
01-20-2008, 03:46 PM
One thing I will add to that. When I ordered by 465 in May 06 I think, I was expecting to have it in a month or so. Well the machine did not arrive until November. I told my dealer that if the machine arrived right before the release of the 07 models that I will expect to be discounted the depreciation difference between an 06 and an 07. Fortunately for them the machine rolled off as an 07. I would have been plenty pissed if my new 06 arrived just prior to the 07 release, which results in me losing a years depreciation with no work to show for the loss of value.

Construct'O
01-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Lots of good information as usual.Thanks:usflag:

Dirt Digger2
01-21-2008, 03:09 AM
i dont know about new but these past few weeks i have been looking at some really good deals on used John Deere tractors and have found a few i like. Always seems that a guy bought them a day before i call though..putting in 2 more calls tomorrow for adds i saw in the paper yesterday so we'll see

mrsops
01-21-2008, 10:48 AM
what site can i go to see how much my bobcat is worth?

Gravel Rat
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Check around Iron Planet or any of the online equipment sales sites it will give you a ideal on what your machine is worth.

Scag48
01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Best time is to buy when everyone else is selling out, which is right now. Some guys who are making money are gearing up for a new season and selling their old stuff. Or, they're dying through the winter months and looking to downsize. Right now is the time to buy or maybe even February.

mrsops
01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
i agree scag jan feb are good months i bought my s330 and my s205 in november i was gearing up early for the snow and we got record breaking 1'' so far lol we should of had 3' already

Scag48
01-23-2008, 02:02 AM
I should add that buying new right now has advantages as well, machines that dealers are trying to move in the winter months need to go.