PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Cat skidsteer out of the rental fleet?

Boss Exc.
01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Awhile ago I had some questions about a Cat 252b and a Bobcat S250,I've been a long time Bobcat fan and I still like them but I've been doing some research and I've been leaning towards the Cat's.I've also decided I don't think I need quite as big of a skid as I thought...So I've been looking at the 236b's and 246b's.

So while I was on the lot my sales guy was telling me about warranties and he said a used skidsteer comes with a 1 year warranty but if I were to buy one from the rental fleet I would get a 3 YEAR WARRANTY!

Would you guy's buy a skidsteer out of the rental fleet even if it came with a 3 year warranty?

What comes to my mind when I think rented equipment.....BEAT UP AND ABUSED!

ksss
01-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Is the 3 year machine warranty bumper to bumper or just engine or just drivetrain? If it is bumper to bumper you are paying for that somewhere. That would be better than any OEM's new standard warranty including CAT.

The current CASE machines are 1 year bumper to bumper and 3 year 3000 hour powertrain warranty with zero interest on 07's for example.

A good way to compare maybe to go to IronPlanet and compare the auction prices on those machines which are predominately rentals and see what the price differences are. That may give you an idea what the warranty is costing or not costing depending on how good of deal it is.

You might find that your could buy new for close to the same money. A three years complete warranty is pretty attractive though depending on the fine print.

CarterKraft
01-20-2008, 03:47 PM
I won't go into warranty plans etc., I don't work in that dept. so I really can't quote accuratly but...

I can say about our dealers rental fleet. We generally rent at or above the competitions rates. These rates allow us to have some of the best machines for rent in the industry. Everything works, some have radios, some have enclosed cabs, but all maintanence is done and everything is repaired to CAT standards. You won't find this level of maintanance from other rental houses.

bobcat_ron
01-20-2008, 06:23 PM
I say go for it, my brother bought a D4H out of Finning's fleet with 700 hrs, and there is no problems with it since then.

If it were a Bobcat, I'd run, anything with Bobcat stamped on it coming out of any rental fleet is crap, Cat's can stand more abuse than Bobcat.

skidster32
01-20-2008, 08:23 PM
i think buying used machines are just like buying someone elses problems, especially rentals, you never know how people treated them.

Construct'O
01-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Like all machines you need to look the machine over that you think is what your need for your work.

If it looks beat to crap then you probably don't need it or want it.There all things that you look for even if they are painted again that will show it's use.

Try to get a rental history for the machine,then check into the people that rented it history ,if possible.

Never know it might have been rented to a large company that just needed a backup machine or used very little for light work.Utility company.

One thing about a rental either the bugs are worked out of them by the time they are sold or they are beat to crap or have problems that could be fixed.Ask for maintence records and oil samples if they are dealer machines.

Just need to get all your question answered before you decide and do ask questions and if they don't have or can't answer them, then i would say pass.Get things in writing when it comes to warranty,they seem to forget if you take there word for it. Good luck

YellowDogSVC
01-20-2008, 09:18 PM
i think buying used machines are just like buying someone elses problems, especially rentals, you never know how people treated them.

I couldn't disagree more. Sure, there are abused and non maintained machines with spray gun rebuilds but that isn't the norm with used anything. Some people, like me trade often for newer technology or to upgrade to a bigger machine. I've seen a lot of used machines perform well with minimal problems.

Fieldman12
01-21-2008, 06:29 PM
All I can say is a guy really has to look the machine over top to bottom. They probably don't like it when I show up but I bring a pair of coveralls and go over it just like I was doing maintenance on it and also was an inspector. Hey, it's better you do it then before you bring it home. Even after all this though you could still miss something. Most of the time you can tell if it has been abused and it's just a cover up. Just don't be afraid to look it over. I like the guys that go find something else to do while I'm looking it over. If you get a rental as someone else mentioned that a guy had that was a backup than most likely you got it made. If it's a machine that see's a different temporary home every other day by another renter than those are the ones to really watch.

Boss Exc.
01-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks for all the replies guy's,I appreciate your help.:)

I have some more questions but I'll ask them in different treads so it's alittle bit easier.Thanks again.