PDA

View Full Version : New Truck Help ???

Stinchcomb Lawn
01-21-2008, 12:21 AM
I am having a hard time on an new set up for this year. I'm looking at possibly a smaller ruck and trailer for all of my residental and small commerical accounts. Im thinking like a 6 by 12 or 6 by 14 single axle tailer for my JD 717 2 push mowers and a 32 wright stander and all the other necessary equipment. I looking at the Chevy Colorado 4 door 2WD strictly just a mowing truck. Do you think it wll be able to handle this every day.
Currently I have an 04 1 ton Chevy Duramx 4WD flat bed with an 18ft trailer. I also have a 2007 3/4 ton 4WD Chevy, both are being used now I think im looking to maybe be able to move around the housing additions a little better and get a little better milage. I will keep the bigger trucks for the bigger mowers and trailers, I have that part figured out. I was just wondering if any of you have this problem or have any of the new Colorados that you use every day pulling smaller loads. Please let me know what you think, Thanks

TXNSLighting
01-21-2008, 09:50 AM
i have heard so many negative things about the colorados and such, just find a half ton. that would be the better thing to do.

ma5tr
01-21-2008, 11:34 AM
I wouldnt go with a colorado either.. why not buy a basic f-150 or other 1/2 ton. You'll atleast have a usable bed.

Stinchcomb Lawn
01-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I have changed my mind I went to the dealership today and they had a GMC cab over 4500 with a 16ft bed with a 4 ft dove tail and a 4 ft ramp. Basicly it was a 16 ft lawn trailer all mounted on the bed of this truck 14,500 GVW with a diesel. I'm thinking this will totally eliminate a trailer. I'm working a deal with them now I will let you guys know how it turns out.

GravelyGuy
01-22-2008, 12:47 AM
That sure was a change of plans lol. For the price of the smaller trucks I would go ahead and get a 1/2 ton, but if you want a smaller truck I wouldn't underestimate them. I worked out of my S10 for several years and it did pretty well.

bigclawnman
01-22-2008, 12:53 AM
that deal sounds pretty sweet to me. Hope it does not cost a significant amount

Stinchcomb Lawn
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
I know these two trucks are the difference between night and day. I didn't expect to see the 4500 on the lot at the dealership. My over all goal was to down size to a samller trailer and truck set up. The 4500 does that but also have other uses so it will be better for me. The price is high but I wont have to buy tires, registration or insurance for the trailer so I'll save some over the years going this route. I was getting tickets from the HOA's for my truck and trailer being to long in the subdivisions. This will eliminate that problem and I can use the truck for other work to.