PDA

View Full Version : 2002 F350 rotting out

supercuts
01-21-2008, 10:04 AM
hey, just wondering if my budding and the rare exceptions or if others trucks are less than 10 years old and rotting out. my buddy has a 2002, it was only about 4 years old when the wheel wells started. my is a 2000, the bottom of both doors are rotted and over my wheel wells. the doors have been bad for 2 years, the bed just broke through, the paint bubbled off.

anyone else suck like us?

Landrus2
01-21-2008, 10:05 AM
Were they snow removal trucks:drinkup:

stroker51
01-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Even if thery were snow trucks, they shouldn't have rusted through especially if there were cleaned up good after pushing. I've got a 99 350 no signs of rust, it doesnt plow but before i bought it the guy was out all the time in the road salt and everything else for work. I have yet to see one rusted through, the worst was on a 99 F350 I looked at for a mow rig, it had 150K and the little rubber piece was missing off the bottom drivers door, it had some slight surface rust, the piece was still intact on passengers side, no rust. I owned a 93 F250 that had been a salt truck, and the rust wasn't anything more than you would expect on a truck like that from this area, cab corners and fenders. The underside, brake lines, brake parts, etc. was a little rought but other than that...

Uranus
01-21-2008, 11:04 AM
I was just talking to my neighbor last week about wheel well rot. His employee's personal truck (Ford) is rotting in the wheel wells. It is not a plow truck. And my neighbor had an 04 F350 that did the same thing just before he sold it. I checked mine but there is no signs of rust. I wash the wheel wells and under the truck after every snow storm and try to stay off the roads for a day or 2 with my work truck to let the snow melt wash off some of the salts. The sand up here doesn't help out either. Some towns put so much down during the storms its like sand blasting you lower 1/4 of the truck. Don't forget to wash out the insides of your bumpers too.

RUST SUCKS!

oakhillslandscaping
01-21-2008, 11:44 AM
my 02 f350 has a hole in the outside rear wheel well that you can fit your hand through, and on the other side of the truck the paint is blistering and has water inside those blisters, my running boards have holes in the corners, when i bought it from the dealer last year it was pristene i dont kno how that happened so fast

TXNSLighting
01-21-2008, 11:54 AM
hey, just wondering if my budding and the rare exceptions or if others trucks are less than 10 years old and rotting out. my buddy has a 2002, it was only about 4 years old when the wheel wells started. my is a 2000, the bottom of both doors are rotted and over my wheel wells. the doors have been bad for 2 years, the bed just broke through, the paint bubbled off.

anyone else suck like us?

ya know you have a rust warraty...it should still be in tact...

Markf
01-21-2008, 12:12 PM
We have both a 2000 F350 7.3l (my son's personal truck) and a 2001 F550, 7.3l. Both are used for snow removal. The only signs of rust that I can from under the truck are a few of the areas where the bed attaches to the frame.

Mark

supercuts
they are both beyond the 5yr/100K warentee. they are both plow trucks. both bought used, one was a VT the other NH. both heavily salted states. never buying a truck from up north again.it was only 2 1/5 years old when i got it, the plow didnt go on until 04-05 winter. my buddies didnt go on until last year.

lawn king
If you perform normal washing maintenance, serious rot in under 8-10 years is extreme. Snowplowing vehicles are a different story.

J&R Landscaping
01-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Might be a bit to late but what about some fluid film sprayed on the under frame and chassis of them. I did this to my 94 and have not had much rust progression since I bought the truck 1.5 years ago.

NMS0219
01-21-2008, 01:51 PM
deffentely need to get the truck rust sprayed. Either oil or something like ziebart. I do the ziebart thing works great for me no rust.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2008, 02:01 PM
When you live on the West Coast and I mean on the coast the salt air rusts vehicals just sitting there. Now the highways dept uses brine during the winter it is a liquid car ruster. That crap sticks to your truck etc and creates havoc. Stuff gets into the wiring,under the rubber weather stripping.

I would expect to see rust on a 99 to 2002 it is pretty hard to stop orange cancer. Once it finds a bare metal spot it starts and spreads.

The best prevention is fluid film it works the best I have used it and always have a few cans at home it is all I buy.

Turf Commando
01-21-2008, 03:28 PM
Since I'm a vehicle detailer, I see the other side of beautiful...
I detailed a 2006 F150 and noticed rust forming at bottom of truck, tailgate places where you would think rust wouldn't form this soon...
My advice to (YOU) green guys keep your vehicles clean, wash those under carriges and wax your trucks once in a while .
''Keep it clean, keep it longer''...