PDA

View Full Version : thinking about adding another section to the buisness

mike lane lawn care
01-21-2008, 02:44 PM
OK, so me and a friend were talking the other day, there is a huge market for "light duty trailering" around here. as in 5th wheel RV's, race trailers, livestock that gets moved all over the country. it brings in a lot of money year round for me, even with limiting my self to what my 1500 can pull. I had the idea of picking up like a 2002-2005 F-550/650, or GMC topkick and installing a wrecker body onto it and going into the trailering/vehicle extrication business. I've worked with the local garage last winter to do some towing of stuck cars, so i know a few things about how to properly and safely hook up to vehicles. I am pretty sure that the flatbed truck that towed my truck to the dealership was a ford F-550, maybe a 650, and i know that those class trucks can also trailer a lot of weight.

this is just still a thought, and i haven't looked into getting my CDL or insurance or special licensing yet.

so, any comments, concerns, or questions?

Gravel Rat
01-21-2008, 02:53 PM
You should look into the regulations before you get all excited because you will have to become a legal towing company. When it used to be more regulated here you had to go apply for a tow truck license for your area. It was allot of paper work B.S.

And as for hotshot work its a waste of time and money you end up wearing out your vehical before its paid for.

A tow truck isn't cheap expect to pay atleast 30,000 for a decent truck a new tow truck is 80,000 or more for a F-550 sized truck.

topsites
01-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Around here the smallest tow trucks are 350's, it goes up from there.

hosejockey2002
01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Doing what you describe is a great way to see the country and get paid absolutely next to nothing. The guys who deliver new travel trailers get paid around $0.90 per loaded mile. Just putting gas in my truck and getting routine service done costs me around $0.33 per mile. By the time you figure insurance, depreciation and other costs (tires, repairs, etc.) you're not making anything at all. On the rare occasions that I've done local hauling or towing I've charged $2.00 per loaded mile, which is what I need to get to make it worth my while.

KTM
01-21-2008, 05:41 PM
Look at forums like towrig.com there are spots on there for hotshot hauling, I have read into it and it cost alot to be a legit buisness. The legal haulers Don't like the people that run whithout all of the legit stuff, because they can haul cheaper than they can, making the legal haulers look expensive when they realy are not making much.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2008, 06:17 PM
Hotshot work is okay if your retired and don't mind staying in one spot a long time waiting for the next load.

Trucking in general isn't profitable anymore then with the new HOS regulations makes it tough if your paid by the mile.

Lawnworks
01-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I heard the towing business(cars) was profitable. I don't see how though...

Petr51488
01-21-2008, 07:17 PM
In your case your prob better off staying un-legit and make the good money your making, because like everyone else mentioned you don't make much once your legit.

Dstosh
01-21-2008, 09:29 PM
In your case your prob better off staying un-legit and make the good money your making, because like everyone else mentioned you don't make much once your legit.

Great Advice. Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

Petr51488
01-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Great Advice. Please tell me you are being sarcastic.

I am. You think you're doing great with an idea until you have to go legit with it. You'll make more at any job if its under the table. Same goes for lawn care. When i was 16-17, i was making ton's of money (at least i thought so) because i didnt pay tax or insurance. Now that i'm 20, going legit 2 years now, its a bit harder, but the sense of knowing that i'm a legit business gives me a sense of great accomplishment. All i'm saying is to check out all the legal stuff before you get serious about this. License's and insurance along with the reg truck maint will do you dirty. And if you go for that 550 650 truck, don't expect your 15mpg towing that you get with your 1500

TXNSLighting
01-22-2008, 09:51 AM
well seein as tho a 550 and a 650 are totally different trucks...(550's looks like the 250-450's and 650's and 750's are big trucks....) anyways my step dad did something similar. he hauled all fifth wheels tho. and hes just using a 2000 f-250! that thing is pushing 200k miles and has towed very heavy fifth wheels all its life! he said the first probly 4 or 5 pulls you wont make much money, but you start to learn what costs to keep down, and he eventually started making very good money!

J&R Landscaping
01-23-2008, 01:03 AM
I aggree with what gravel rat said, those Rollback trucks are not cheap by any means. If your looking at a rollback, I would get either a 3500hd (15k gvw) 88-97 FSuperduty (15k gvw) or a newer F550. If your gonna be running a wrecker body, either a superduty or a newer 450 will cut the bill fine. Go with a manual tranny though. Ebay has deals every now and then. Look into what local dealers have as they can get good deals. Nussbaums equipment in hasbrouck heights NJ has good deals on both new and used Jerr dan equipment. Winn Street sales is somewhere in new england and they seem to have a deal every now and then. Chevron of new hampshire is also a good one who has a pretty large used truck selection. I don't think it would be in your best intrest to get a larger 650, International, Topkick or any truck like that right off the bat. They are super nice trucks to drive around but a hell of a lot more to maintain (and thussly more income needed to do it, not to mention registration)
Good Luck with however you choose to go about it. Its not the best job in the world but if you like driving (which I do!!!) you cant go wrong.

Petr51488
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
Nussbaums equipment in hasbrouck heights NJ has good deals on both new and used Jerr dan equipment..

Its funny you know that place. Its right down the road from me on rt 17. Small world.

mowing grass 1111
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
I heard the towing business(cars) was profitable. I don't see how though...

its very profitable, i have a brother inlaw that owns 6 trucks... 3 chevys i think they are called topkicks not sure. they are 2005 and newer models 2 have the duramax and one has a cat all 3 are 24 ft beds and crew cabs. He also has a huge international wrecker used for towing the big stuff and two f450 wreckers . the best part all of the trucks are paid off

J&R Landscaping
01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Its funny you know that place. Its right down the road from me on rt 17. Small world.

damn, I was down there a couple weeks ago actually looking at a few trucks. I'll be up at the location in columbia PA on Monday or Tuesday...