PDA

View Full Version : Flux-Cored Welding problem

ma5tr
01-21-2008, 03:00 PM
hello all,

I'm having a problem with my Fluxcored welder. please note i'm not a prfessional welder just a new hobby for me. But when I try to weld the weld sputters alot and does not melt on contact. The wire sort of pushes against the metal and does not pool, but it does spark and melt. Any suggestions? The wire is not damp or wet, i checked the ground its tight. wire speed is slow, i'm keeping the tip anout 3/8" - 1/2" away from metal i tried diffrent settings but nothing seems to help.

HELP!!!

thanks

dhardin53
01-21-2008, 03:49 PM
Do you have a 2 or 4 setting of heat. Can you hear a differ sound in the welder hum going form the different heat settings?
You may not be changing the heat setting even if you are moving the switch. to a high heat. a uncommon problem with some welders, bad switch.

Or, are you using to heavy of steel to weld. try welding something real thin and see if you can make a puddle with then. your not trying to weld pot metal or cast or aluminum are you.

Are you sure you using the right wire? have you changed wire lately? sounds like your using a gas/flux or gas wire without gas set up.

Just a few things to check.. Dan H

LawnTamer
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Make sure the material you are working on is weldable, with your set up. As stated already, it may be too thick, it may not be ferrous enough, a good rule of thumb is that if you can't stick a magnet to it, you can't weld it. I would also check your ground, make sure there isn't paint or rust blocking the current, or a bad connection in the welder casing, like where the ground cable connects.

Dirt Digger2
01-21-2008, 05:40 PM
i have one of those little welders too and it really only "effectively" welds sheetmetal. It may be a bad ground or like above the metal may just be too think. Look into spending a few extra bucks and getting a real welder with shielding gas. Its what i use all the time now because we have one at our shop...you'll never want to use the little one again

Restrorob
01-21-2008, 06:43 PM
The others have the right idea. 1/8" thick steel is right at the border for a little gas-less mig. You would need the high setting and slow the wire feed down, But it will splatter all over as mentioned.

I only use my small gas-less for spotting sheet metal.

LawnTamer
01-21-2008, 08:25 PM
My little wirefeed is rated up to 1/4" for flux core welding... That being said, I have welded 1/4" and it isn't easy, it takes slow speed and the patience of Job to get any kind of pool going and it is not a deep pool. I feel very comfy up to 1/8", I can do 3/16" fairly well, but the 1/4" I wouldn't let one of those welds hold my mother-in-law.:laugh::laugh:

topsites
01-22-2008, 02:10 AM
I have a somewhat unrelated question...

What's the difference between this, and using a Mapp torch and rosin core solder?
Rosin core is the same solder used on electronics, but a Mapp torch generates a TON of heat.
What I use the Mapp torch for is stuff like brass pipes, radiators, etc...
I tried googling but it's not helping...

bigmower1
01-23-2008, 06:49 PM
When using flux core welding wire first make sure that the surface is clean and also the surface where the groung is clean too. Use steel wire on steel,or cast, but not on aluminum. The setting on the welder might be too high or the wire speed is too slow and the wire is being ashed or slaged as it hits the metal. <Make sure that your using flux cored wire also. Pretty much that is all that needs to be done and make sure you wear your mask.

wanabe
01-23-2008, 07:01 PM
There is only a few things that will cause this.

Heat too low, wire speed too fast, dirty metal(grind first), or a bad ground(grind a spot), bad/faulty cables.