PDA

View Full Version : Lesco Closing?

magland
01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I heard through the grapevine that the Lesco in Omaha was closing. Only the JD Landscapes store would remain. I guess JD doesn't want to sell fert anymore. I wonder if this is going to happen everywhere.

summitlawncare
01-21-2008, 04:21 PM
I seriously doubt it. JD couldnt be that stupid!!!!

magland
01-21-2008, 04:26 PM
After JD gave up selling Lesco's equipment line and then raised prices like 50%, I think JD may be that stupid. Or they just don't care.

summitlawncare
01-21-2008, 04:30 PM
You're right.. never say never I guess

upidstay
01-21-2008, 04:38 PM
JDL is not closing down Lesco's. I've been told that tey're going to consolidate some stores that are very close to each other. They are ending the mower line as of 2008. All other equipment is staying. As far as raising prices "...like 50%", they did raise prices. Just like every other supplier did. For those of you who haven't been reading about this, the price for the raw materials that they use to make fertilizers have gone through the roof. Up 50-75% in a year. Apparently the Chinese and South American's are buying fertilizer like there ain't no tomorrow. Glyphosate (the AI in Round Up) is up big time also. Add in the ridiculous cost of the energy it takes to make the stuff, plus the obscene rates trucking companies are getting now, and there is supposed to be a minimum 20% price increase over last year.

summitlawncare
01-21-2008, 05:25 PM
yeah, thats what I had been hearing (about the price increases). Thats crazy, oh well, better budget it in, and get ready to spend some more this year.... so goes life...

bug-guy
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
i have seen here that when there is a jdl near a lesco and both leases are up they are looking for one larger building to house both. that being said companies will close a location if the business can not support it, wallmart closes old stores after opening a super walmart

summitlawncare
01-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, I did hear something to that effect no too long ago from my Lesco guy.

LawnTamer
01-21-2008, 06:12 PM
Our Lesco here will close this fall, then if I want Lesco products, I'll have to pre-order them and pick them up at a JD landscapes location... That's straight from my lesco rep last Thursday.:cry:

He also wanted, "to get me in this great new program." Basically the same program JD tried to get me into the only time I've ever had to buy something there. Basically, I switch my cell phone carrier, spend $8,000,000 and promise them my next born child, and I'll get to buy products at about the same mark up as before.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

Good bye Lesco, Hello local ag/farm suppliers.

philk17088
01-21-2008, 06:18 PM
On a related note, I see CubCadet Pro is selling the hps ride on spreader now.

LushGreenLawn
01-21-2008, 06:21 PM
JDL is not closing down Lesco's. I've been told that tey're going to consolidate some stores that are very close to each other. They are ending the mower line as of 2008. All other equipment is staying. As far as raising prices "...like 50%", they did raise prices. Just like every other supplier did. For those of you who haven't been reading about this, the price for the raw materials that they use to make fertilizers have gone through the roof. Up 50-75% in a year. Apparently the Chinese and South American's are buying fertilizer like there ain't no tomorrow. Glyphosate (the AI in Round Up) is up big time also. Add in the ridiculous cost of the energy it takes to make the stuff, plus the obscene rates trucking companies are getting now, and there is supposed to be a minimum 20% price increase over last year.

I am using a local supplier for fert this year, Thier prices went up around 10% over last year, and are still cheaper than I was paying last year at lesco. They don't need to raise the price 50%

Whitey4
01-21-2008, 06:40 PM
The guy here in town said they would move to a bigger facility. I didn't need to ask him for directions. I won't be going there.

MStine315
01-21-2008, 11:42 PM
On a related note, I see CubCadet Pro is selling the hps ride on spreader now.

and the Z2 sprayer, the slit seeder, an 80 lb. spreader, and 50-200 gal. sprayers. "Things that make you go hmmmm." As Envy Lawn Care's avatar says, "R.I.P. LESCO, 1962-2007". Would the last one out of Rocky River please turn out the lights.

magland
01-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Cub Cadet used to make Lesco's entire line of mowers, spreaders, and sprayers. Once JD bought them, I guess that deal went out the door. I've seen the Cub Cadet equipment and it's the same as Lesco's, just yellow instead of green. You have to pre-order the product and pick it up? That's crazy. What happened to the drive-in store? Does that mean you can't just walk in and buy products or what?

Four Alarm Lawns
01-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey Magland,
You should call Nebraska Turf Products of stop by and compare prices. I have found them to be very competitive and very helpful. I know quite a few guys here in Omaha have left Lesco for Nebraska Turf Products. There are located off 140 and Old L St. The phone number is 402-895-8630. They are raising prices just like everybody else but I know they will treat you right.

magland
01-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Thanks Four Alarm. I think I have heard of them. I've give them a call.

Marcos
01-24-2008, 10:07 PM
In the past I used Lesco for a great deal of SCU. But now I just buy incidental chemicals there once in awhile. And occasionally a spreader and some hand tools or the like.

After talking to some key vendors in the southern Ohio trade shows in Nov. and Dec (especially the non-verbal kind of message-sharing of things they can't ethically talk about), I'm pretty confident the store that I'd been going to in northern Cincy is going to close and consolidate into Deere's nearby operation, just up the street about 1/4 mile.

I don't like the instability at all in THAT scenario at all, especially not knowing the person who you're going to be dealing with later in the year.