PDA

View Full Version : 288 Spyker spreader, $299, easiest way

americanlawn
01-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Many previous links are now unavailable, so I just talked to my local LESCO freinds.

Easiest way to get a Spyker 288 spreader for $299:

Call Chad at John Deere Landscape. (515) 986-9700. He's in Grimes, IA (a suburb of Des Moines). You will probably have to fill out a new credit app, but it's easy, and he can help you with it as well as direct shipping to you.

Spyker's new 288 model is "bar none" the best professional lawn spreader on the market. Trust me on this. We've used them all, and the 288 is heads above anything out there. Once you open the box, you will see what I mean.:usflag:

mx315
01-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I went to the JD Landscapes with the Advance Order Form in my hand and gave him the part numbers and prices of all the things I wanted to order... no problems. I loaded up on shovel's, prunning saws, clippers, backpack sprayers and a 288 spreader. He said it was really good prices and just kept on typing in part numbers.

americanlawn
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Good job. You will not go wrong with your new Spyker spreader.

I went to the JD Landscapes with the Advance Order Form in my hand and gave him the part numbers and prices of all the things I wanted to order... no problems. I loaded up on shovel's, prunning saws, clippers, backpack sprayers and a 288 spreader. He said it was really good prices and just kept on typing in part numbers.

pglover19
02-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Do you have to own a lawn care business in order to get the $299 for the Spyker 288 spreader at the John Deere Landscape store? I am tried on purchasing cheap spreaders every 2 years.

Hissing Cobra
02-23-2008, 03:51 PM
You do not need to own a lawn care business in order to get that price on the spreader. Just go on in and let them know that you want one. If there's none in the store, they'll be able to get you one.

rmmllc
02-23-2008, 09:13 PM
do the spykers have the side shield like the lesco's add-on feature? Sounds like they are much better (from what I've read here), but I would like a side deflector (unless anyone can tell me I don't need one). Thanks guys- newly licensed this year (in mowing for 6 now)

americanlawn
02-24-2008, 03:58 PM
rmmllc -- deflector shield (they call it a "border patrol") & cover are a must. they are sold separately (usually combined in a kit). guessing....$50 ???

rmmllc
02-24-2008, 06:02 PM
OK- thanks for the info. I'll try one out this year.
I knew the Lesco ones have the deflector option, just wasn't sure if you could get one for the Spyker. I'm excited to try one out now.

americanlawn
02-24-2008, 06:26 PM
Some LESCO spreaders use cables.........these always corrode. No prob with the Spykers. Even the manual deflector shields on LESCO's get gummed up. Again.....no prob regarding Spykers. I like LESCO, and I'm glad they now sell Spyker. Thanks LESCO, and good luick to you.

rmmllc
02-24-2008, 06:40 PM
Some LESCO spreaders use cables.........these always corrode. No prob with the Spykers. Even the manual deflector shields on LESCO's get gummed up. Again.....no prob regarding Spykers. I like LESCO, and I'm glad they now sell Spyker. Thanks LESCO, and good luick to you.
Good to know. What other major differences are there between the two? I've read the placement (length) of the handles is a big advantage on the Spykers. What else?

p0wd3rp1l0t
02-26-2008, 04:24 PM
where can a guy find a local john deere landscape store...i have a local john deere dealer but i have no clue if its a landscape store also

FdLLawnMan
02-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Call either Eric or Dave at the Kaukauna Store. I work with them extensively. They are good guys and will point you in the right direction. I will send you a private message with the phone number.

americanlawn
02-26-2008, 05:12 PM
The 288 Spyker has a 50% wider spread width than the LESCO's. Spyker has just one hole in the bottom of the hopper so clogs are few & far between. The impeller on the Spyker rarely cakes up with fert dust. Spykers take bumps, potholes, etc much better too. No pins to shell out on the Spyker, so you don't have to carry a "repair kit". Only thing with the Spyker....they weigh more cuz they're better built. We ran two last year............never a breakdown.

cwags73
02-28-2008, 02:20 PM
Can you attach a spray kit to the spyker like you can the Lesco? I know this is an old post, I just wandered if anyone has used the combination yet.

pglover19
02-28-2008, 07:18 PM
Can you attach a spray kit to the spyker like you can the Lesco? I know this is an old post, I just wandered if anyone has used the combination yet.

Can you give me the part number of the Lesco sprayer kit attached to the Lesco sprayer.

americanlawn
02-29-2008, 08:02 PM
Picked up two more Spyker 288 Super's yesterday. Chad was a super nice guy. Now six out of eight are Spyker. The other two are LESCO. So now we have several other LESCO spreaders for sale ----CHEAP. Pick up only. PM if interested. Thanks, L.

sclawndr
03-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks to all for the tip - this was a good buy as my local Lesco was asking $595 for that model. Anyone else notice these units are a bit on the heavy side though?

americanlawn
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
sclawndr -- Yep, they are heavier. That's why I recommend a spreader caddy that fits into the rear hitch receiver (we modified our LESCO caddy's) on your pickup truck....this way you don't have to lift it very far off the ground --even with leftover fert in it. Once you use a 288 on a few lawns, you will see how easily they roll across yards. I also like their deflector shield. It allows us to spread fert along the curb without putting one wheel out on the street. I usually spread along each side of the driveway with the deflector shield down -- then spread the rest of the lawn like normal. Keep in mind how fast you can cover a lawn compared to all others. It took us a while (two lawns?) to get used to the 288, but now every one of our 8 applicators wants one.

BTW I spoke with the fine folks at Spyker last week. Record sales -- in part to lawnsite. Seems the word is getting around regarding their new 288 spreader.

oOTurfmanoO
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
My local Lesco is asking in the upper $600 for the 288. Can't even get it thought. This was a call he put into a guy that called a guy.

But... Russo's Power Equipme tin Ohio is selling them for $369.99 all year. Plus they are great people.

sclawndr
03-04-2008, 07:08 PM
sclawndr -- Yep, they are heavier. That's why I recommend a spreader caddy that fits into the rear hitch receiver (we modified our LESCO caddy's) on your pickup truck....this way you don't have to lift it very far off the ground --even with leftover fert in it. Once you use a 288 on a few lawns, you will see how easily they roll across yards. I also like their deflector shield. It allows us to spread fert along the curb without putting one wheel out on the street. I usually spread along each side of the driveway with the deflector shield down -- then spread the rest of the lawn like normal. Keep in mind how fast you can cover a lawn compared to all others. It took us a while (two lawns?) to get used to the 288, but now every one of our 8 applicators wants one.

BTW I spoke with the fine folks at Spyker last week. Record sales -- in part to lawnsite. Seems the word is getting around regarding their new 288 spreader.

American - Thanks for the info and tip! Does it work on 7 foot centers like the Lesco or is it a little wider?

Forever Green Lawn
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM
American,
Where is another good place to get the 288? My lesco won't sell 'em!

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
03-04-2008, 07:34 PM
But... Russo's Power Equipme tin Ohio is selling them for $369.99 all year. Plus they are great people.

These don't have cap & deflector, maybe why the price difference? Do the ones from Lesco have deflector & cap?

americanlawn
03-04-2008, 07:42 PM
American - Thanks for the info and tip! Does it work on 7 foot centers like the Lesco or is it a little wider?

IMO they work on seven foot centers, but also 11 foot centers. These units spread out much farther, so it will surprise you how faster you can spread lawns without striping. :usflag: Their deflector shield seems to better too -- for several reasons.

americanlawn
03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
These don't have cap & deflector, maybe why the price difference? Do the ones from Lesco have deflector & cap?

Nope -- gotta pay extra.

americanlawn
03-04-2008, 07:58 PM
American,
Where is another good place to get the 288? My lesco won't sell 'em!

I talked to Chad (John Deere Landscapes) last week when I bought two more 288's. Seems 'John Deere Landscapes' has not fully merged with LESCO-John Deere Landscape yet. I actually paid with a check under "cash sales" cuz we don't have an account with "John Deere Landscapes". Chad has received several requests from other states (via my post on lawnsite), and the $299 price has been honored -- even though "other local guys" will not honor this sale price. I suggest you call Chad at (515) 986-9700. He should be able to help you. If nothing else fails, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best.

BTW Chad is a SUPER guy.:usflag:

leostaats
03-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Ok who has used the lesco hydro spreaders and now the Spyker 288 Thunderbird with the gas motor on it. I have the lesco and it has been a problem ever since I purchsed it. Im interested to know how anyone feels that has worked with both units. Including climbing hills, turning, etc..
Thanks in advance
Leo

johnap104
04-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I called Chad today from the John Deere Landscape store in IA and the $299 price is no longer available on the Spyker 288. I was quoted $441.50. Let me know if anyone finds it for less. The problem with John Deere is that they always sell at full retale prices.

Hissing Cobra
04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
The problem with John Deere is that they always sell at full retale prices.

That is incorrect. On equipment, the pricing is set at the Corporate Headquarters and every JDL store in the country will have the same pricing. Whenever there's a sale, every store will have the ability to honor the sale price. On bagged goods such as fertilizer, grass seed, hydroseeding mulch and other products, pricing is determined by how much money you will spend at Lesco/JDL during the course of a year.

johnap104
04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
It's just JD trying to control more of the market. They want fewer Mom and Pop stores and more centralized retail stores in each state. That's comming straight from a JD dealer who is feeling the squeeze of more centralized retail stores. It just comes down to JD wanting to control more of the market.

johnap104
04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I really don't think any of us need any more corporate pricing. I like dealing with a guy who can haggle a little on price and not have to go to some retail corporate book to get the suggested MFG retale price. Your point about the Corporate setting the price is correct. They don't want you to be able to go any where else and get it any cheaper. That's why they want regionale stores and less private owned smaller stores.

leostaats
04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
The 288's are here for 379.99 and i got the 288 thunderbird for 1369.00 plus tax

Hissing Cobra
04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I really don't think any of us need any more corporate pricing. I like dealing with a guy who can haggle a little on price and not have to go to some retail corporate book to get the suggested MFG retale price. Your point about the Corporate setting the price is correct. They don't want you to be able to go any where else and get it any cheaper. That's why they want regionale stores and less private owned smaller stores.

That's not why they set corporate pricing. They set that pricing so that anyone in any part of the country will pay the same price, whether it's at a store in Massachusetts or a store in California. It's called pricing consistency and is a lot easier for the company to deal with if everything is the same. It would be the same with your company. Are you going to fertilize 10 different lawns that are equal in size (5,000 sq. ft) and charge everyone a different price? I think not! As far as the company "not wanting you to go somewhere else to buy it", of course they don't. I'm sure that you don't want your customers going to a competitor either!

Look, I'm not ALL about Corporations but let's be realistic. In America, there's competition EVERYWHERE. If you don't like a price at one company, go to another. There's things in my Lesco/JDL store that I cannot sell because they're overpriced compared to our competition. There's also many products that we sell a lot of because they're priced just right. This is how America has worked for DECADES. Whether it was Sears Roebuck in the past or Wal-Mart in the present, whoever has a better business model will survive. I will be realistic and say that if you're doing business with a smaller "Mom & Pop" organization or company, you may be able to "haggle" with pricing, while with a Corporation, you cannot.

In the end, you cannot base everything on pricing. You have to base it on selection and pricing. There's plenty of things that I cannot get at Home Depot or Lowe's so for those items, I hit up my local Hardware Store. They have a much better selection of Nuts, Bolts, Washers and anything hardware related than any of the bigger "Box" stores will EVER have. However, they're also higher priced on many of the same items that I can get at the bigger box stores, so I go to those stores when I want to save money.

Both the smaller, independently owned businesses and the larger, Corporate owned businesses are needed in this world to balance things out. It definitely pays to shop around.

gregory
04-21-2008, 04:12 PM
you make very good points cobra...........

can you tell me why my price on the site is cheaper then the price they give me in the store when i go to buy it?

Hissing Cobra
04-21-2008, 04:30 PM
you make very good points cobra...........

can you tell me why my price on the site is cheaper then the price they give me in the store when i go to buy it?

I cannot tell you why the prices differ between the website and the store itself. All I can say is that there may be a pricing error either with the store or the website. Inquire with your store manager about the pricing difference and have him put a call in with the appropriate people to get a final answer.

I will say this: At this time, JDL is merging two computer systems (their old SHIMS system with LESCO's Unity Enterprise) and I've seen some pricing that is incorrect (not alot but it has happened). Whenever I see something that is not right, I put a call into Corporate and get the correct pricing. It may take a day or two to get back to me but once I get the correct price, I'll sell the product at that price. I will not sell it at the incorrect price and notify my customer that I'll get back to them when the pricing has been changed to the correct one.

gregory
04-21-2008, 04:54 PM
i will do that next time...but the reps here in town dont seem to care if they sell something or not....the price was 30.00 higher per bag...

bobby j
01-16-2009, 09:53 PM
I talked to Chad (John Deere Landscapes) last week when I bought two more 288's. Seems 'John Deere Landscapes' has not fully merged with LESCO-John Deere Landscape yet. I actually paid with a check under "cash sales" cuz we don't have an account with "John Deere Landscapes". Chad has received several requests from other states (via my post on lawnsite), and the $299 price has been honored -- even though "other local guys" will not honor this sale price. I suggest you call Chad at (515) 986-9700. He should be able to help you. If nothing else fails, feel free to PM me, and I'll do my best.

I am very interested in purchasing a # 288 Spyker but when I call that Ext.
( 515 ) 986 9700 A recording says that number has been disconnected.
Do you have other advise to get that price on the Spyker 288 ??????
bobby j

JDUtah
01-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Tag a couple hundred on the price... :(

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=2247

bobby j
01-17-2009, 03:24 PM

Unable to reac CHAD Very interested in SPYKER 288 Best price so far is www.thelawnmall.com for $ 444.58 Would appreciate more input or reply

bobby j
01-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Unable to reac CHAD Very interested in SPYKER 288 Best price so far is www.thelawnmall.com for $ 444.58 Would appreciate more input or reply
bobby j

ted putnam
01-17-2009, 03:42 PM
In all liklihood "Chad" has merged with another store. It's been about 8-9 months. I'm going to say I am probably correct on that one. As for the Spyker 288 @ $299... I think it's safe to say that great deal has come and gone as well...

americanlawn
01-18-2009, 05:15 AM
Now folks can buy direct from Spyker (http://spyker.com). Also you can call Spyker, give them your zip code, and they will tell you the nearest dealer to you. We have also had good luck with http://rayssupply.com.

Sounds like guys are gearing up. :weightlifter:

420deere
01-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Where and what store in Fla.?

Thanks

420 Deere

bpomykala
10-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Looking to purchase the 288 Spyker. Are you still getting these for $299? If so, where? John Deere site referenced in previous thread is no longer there. Thanks.

mishmosh
10-08-2010, 01:04 AM
I think these go for $450 now...

americanlawn
10-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Best price I've seen recently is on ebay. $475 + free shipping. But that does not include the much needed deflector shield or the hopper cover. Still not bad for what this spreader can do. IMO

mishmosh
10-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Best price I've seen recently is on ebay. $475 + free shipping. But that does not include the much needed deflector shield or the hopper cover. Still not bad for what this spreader can do. IMO

Not sure if Russo power is legit but they have it for $420 shipped.
http://www.russopower.com/products/spyker-spreader-288/