PDA

View Full Version : I played with a new Takeuchi!!

bobcat_ron
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I picked up my jack hammer from Rollins today and I was asked if I wanted to "play" with the new TB180: http://www.takeuchi-us.com/pdfs/TB180FR.pdf

I kinda liked the concept of the new style swing boom and I had to give it a try.
For all out hogging and trench digging, it would be real nice, but for close quarters where you need to swing the material back behind you, I wasn't too impressed, the beauty of traditional swing booms is that you can swing the boom to the left, and swing right beside a wall and only have 3 feet of boom sticking out, this Tak's set up would be a pain, no matter where you stuck the boom, there was still 12 feet sticking out, and if you were in a tight over head clearance situation, don't even bother.
They do have some good technology on it to prevent the operator from wiping out the cab with the boom and bucket, it's kinda hard to explain, but it works really well.
This particular machine had a thumb and a 44" bucket on it and fully loaded, it would tip over the side at the 90% of full reach, not bad, but still rather unstable, the power distribution was awesome, no excessive engine noise and vibrations.
The cab floor space however, wasn't that great, it felt the same as my little Hitachi 27, cramped no matter where the seat is.

Overall, Takeuchi knows how to build an excavator, but I'll keep looking for sometime, I need a huge cab like Cat's or Komatsu's.

Fieldman12
01-21-2008, 06:19 PM
:)Okay, you played with a new machine and did not get any pics for us?

ksss
01-21-2008, 07:22 PM
I am not sure what your refering to Bobcat/Ron. The 180 is the same as the 153 only bigger, and I am quite familiar with the 153. My neighbor bought a 180 this Spring. The best portions of the machine you cant appreciate until you work it. The Side To Side boom is much better than the traditional swing boom for 90 percent of what you use the excavator for.

When you override the boom safety switch and slide the boom to the right. The machine will rotate within 2" of the width of the tracks in a 360 degree slew. A swing boom will not do that. Because the boom articulates closer to the center of the machine, when offset digging in tough conditions it will not pull the machine around like a swing boom. Also the machine can lift an unreal amount of weight because of the boom design, the swing boom knuckle is further from the center of the machine and so reducing the amount of weight that can be lifted. With the ability to pull the boom next to the side of the cab, loading trucks is much easier. The one area that this system is not as adept at is connecting two trenches. A swing boom is more effecient than is the STS boom. There are somethings about the machine I am not as happy with, but the boom is not one of them. They are very stable. I use a 50" clean out bucket that is sized for a EX60 and it handles it very well. The overhead room has seldom been an issue. When it has it would be for any excavator. I am surprised that the machine had a 44" that is a lot of bucket.

When you get a chance demo one and work it in the dirt. The machine really shines. Very high breakout and decent cycle times. Before I bought the 153 I looked around, includes the 305C, but I could not bring myself to go back to a swing boom. I will say the cab in the 305C was nicer than the TK.

DiyDave
01-21-2008, 07:36 PM
A Takeuchi, I had to go to the clinic and get a shot!!:hammerhead::hammerhead:

AWJ Services
01-21-2008, 07:43 PM
A Takeuchi, I had to go to the clinic and get a shot!!

Must have been a Grey Market Takeuchi!:laugh:

Fieldman12
01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
That is a pretty good sized machine. It looks like it would be better placed in wide open spaces. I am starting to see some of there excavators and CTL's around. Everyone that I talk to likes there stuff. Im liking them more and more all the time but I use to hate some of there older paint schemes.

ksss
01-21-2008, 08:18 PM
TK machines are well built. The machines tend to spec very well. The interiors are spartan. You wont find a lot pretty things to look at. The seat is awesome though. The switches and AC/Heat controls are old school. I am not knocking it. TK puts a lot of emphasis on performance of the machine and less on eye candy. The machines (excavators) are not perfect in my eyes, I have some things I would like to see improved. They are productive though which is why I buy them.

Fieldman12
01-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Yes, they put allot of metal in there machines which is what I like to see. Eye candy is sometimes important to me but it depends on what it is like a pretty gal. :)

AWJ Services
01-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Yes, they put allot of metal in there machines which is what I like to see.

I agree.
My TL140 could loose a 1000 pounds and still last just as well.

If you look at Hp to digging power in excavators no one beats Takeuchi.
They run the smallest engines in the Industry yet rank at the top in performance.

bobcat_ron
01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
It's the 8 ton machine, the TB080 is now going to be called the TB180, some weird numbering system like where Cat has gone since the days of the 200's to the 300 numbers.

I found it to very slow, even slower than my Hitachi, I hate that, give me a nice speedy machine any day. The thumb/aux. control was on the left joy stick, that's a PITA big time, but at least it was proportional, a big hit with me and one up for Takeuchi in my books.
With all the tight confined work I find myself getting into, I'll take the traditional swing boom, I do like the STS system that Tak has, but given a choice, I'll go for the swing boom.

AWJ Services
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
The Takeuchi's have slightly lower cycle times but under the same conditions they will carry a much larger bucket than the competitors.
The good thing about the Takeuchi is they will still dig in rock hard ground where the faster cycling machines will not.
If your moving sand or top soil who cares about power.
However come down to Georgia when in the summer a 3.5 ton machine will hardly break the surface of the ground much less dig.

Dirt Digger2
01-21-2008, 09:22 PM
The seat is awesome though.

you must be talking mini-trackhoe seats because the seat in our TL130 is firm...to say the least...i cringe any time i see i have to go to a job and run it more then a day. Don't get me wrong, Takeuchis are great machines, i was a skeptic at first but i now truly believe they have the best things out right now in the mini market...but they need an air suspension seat in the loaders...those steel on steel tracks makes it hell to run it on hard ground for more then 8 hours a day.

turboawd
01-21-2008, 10:42 PM
...but they need an air suspension seat in the loaders...those steel on steel tracks makes it hell to run it on hard ground for more then 8 hours a day.

do you have the manual suspension seat in yours now? if adjusted right, it works pretty good.

Fieldman12
01-21-2008, 10:48 PM
I see that the Takeuchi machines have a very good price on used CTL machines. I would look seriously at buying one down the road if I step up to a CTL some day.

mverick
01-21-2008, 10:57 PM
you must be talking mini-trackhoe seats because the seat in our TL130 is firm...to say the least...i cringe any time i see i have to go to a job and run it more then a day. Don't get me wrong, Takeuchis are great machines, i was a skeptic at first but i now truly believe they have the best things out right now in the mini market...but they need an air suspension seat in the loaders...those steel on steel tracks makes it hell to run it on hard ground for more then 8 hours a day.

Our Old tl26's have floating seats. Maybe yours didn't have the optional seat. I thought they were standard. Pretty easy ride.

ksss
01-22-2008, 12:29 AM
Our Old tl26's have floating seats. Maybe yours didn't have the optional seat. I thought they were standard. Pretty easy ride.

I thought that the seats were the same in the CTL's as in the excavators. It is a Grammer or something like that. I think it is very comfortable. Like mentioned it kinda floats.

turboawd
01-22-2008, 12:38 AM
I thought that the seats were the same in the CTL's as in the excavators. It is a Grammer or something like that. I think it is very comfortable. Like mentioned it kinda floats.

i'm guessing dirt digger just doesn't have his seat adjusted right. there is a lever that you turn in front of the seat, that you adjust until your seat floats a little.

mverick
01-22-2008, 12:53 AM
i'm guessing dirt digger just doesn't have his seat adjusted right. there is a lever that you turn in front of the seat, that you adjust until your seat floats a little.

I will say one thing. That knob and metal in front of the seat. I've jumped in the things many times and when it smashed down my legs were against the seat. Scraped skin of the back of my legs. OUCH..... Did it twice. LOL

Dirt Digger2
01-22-2008, 07:26 AM
i'll have to re-adjust the seat...some of the frigging guys get in there and just start turning knobs and probably have the thing on the stiffest setting

AWJ Services
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
i'll have to re-adjust the seat...some of the frigging guys get in there and just start turning knobs and probably have the thing on the stiffest setting

My TL140 seat is very comfortable.