PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from baltimore md around today

RGM
01-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Im looking forward to a better season this year

newbomb
01-21-2008, 06:15 PM
Yes Im in Catonsville. There are a few here from this area. I decided to raise my rates for some accounts this year. Most have never been raised. I also went to a flat rate per month charge. I have given everyone till March 1 to respond, then I will just keep whoever stays and try to build from there. I have a habit of working for cheap people and this year I have to weed them out. I think it will be an expensive year to operate a lawn business. I am optimistic that last years drought will drive a lot of low ballers out of the business.

RGM
01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I think there will be a few guys going out of buiss to it really was about the worst year i ever had. I had raised some price last year and some of them were for the first time. Some of the other landscapers i know say im low on some of my prices but i tell you with the better equip i'm using today i still make more money cause i get done so much faster

newbomb
01-21-2008, 06:26 PM
I may scale back a little this year. I had a helper last year and it killed me. I do this part time, being single I have to have a job with benefits. I hope to keep $400 to $500 per week by my self part time. Should be easy enough to do. Where in Baltimore are you?

RGM
01-21-2008, 06:36 PM
In the parkville area most of my work is timonium cockeysville jacksonville i got rid of my helper last year in may he was getting out of hand with the money he wanted to make and the work he put out. i have a part time job for benifits and like to taker atleast $1000 a week but 12 would be better

newbomb
01-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Your in the right area. I worked for years here in Catonsville but from now on I will concentrate on Ellicott city and Maybe Columbia.

RGM
01-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Yea im looking forward to putting out a few flyer on the street im cutting maybe pick up a few and drop some pain in the but ones

ICT Bill
01-23-2008, 07:58 AM
I'm in Columbia, not a lawn company but the people on our neighborhood email list (about 120 folks) are already starting to ask "who does organic lawn care" I think it will be big this year

jeffex
01-24-2008, 08:13 AM
I'm a Baltomoron!!! I can handle 120 customers !!! my business is "green" ha.. ha hah!!! I'm guessing by organic you mean in the fertilizer dept. ???? That can be accomplished by using corn glutten as a slow release nitrogen source. Weeds can be killed with vinegar and water BUT it has to be applied to each weed $$$$$. If you mean using old fashioned non-motorized push mowers good luck with that I'm OUT.
I'm expecting the usual crop of new start ups in the spring to even out the people who dropped out due to the drought of 07. I'm pushing lawn restorations for the spring since the drought ran into the fall and some of my customers wanted to wait. Watering has become a sin in this area!! Even though there was NO ban on watering people are still af.fraid to water.
Here in Maryland we have a unique situation in that our new Gov. has decided to raise the price of everything in this state. Taxes on lawn service were pulled at the last minute from the special session but they are still a threat to drop that bomb on us in the current legislative session! I did my share of calling my legislative reps to help beat this back. My plan is to start the season without across the board increases for mowing but increase the price of lawn restorations and spring cleanups . My increases will come in June & July as the heat builds and people don't want to shop around for cheap prices.

RGM
01-24-2008, 09:17 AM
that service tax on landscape service would have been screwed up. Somebody has to pull the reins in on O'Mally before he really ruins the buiss for us all

jeffex
01-24-2008, 09:32 AM
RGM that would be you and me!! start here http://www.wbal.com/shows/c4/guide.asp pass it on to any lawn guy/girl you know. During the special session the state police had to chase off lawn trucks with trailers off the circle in Annapolis protesting the tax. Thats what we need!!! Adding this tax is a big pain so fight it with your phone and computer!!!
I also do power washing www.deckdoctorpressurewashing.com as well as a lawn service. I say you , me and Newbomb put a bid in on the 120 customers in columbia!!! I can grow my own business to handle that amount but a consortium of independent LCOs can jump right on 120 customers. I know how to provide the natural products and techniques for a healthy lawn without chemicals. Ict bill may be right in that people are ready for less toxic alternatives to current lawn services. The difference is although they are natural products , they are NOT cheaper due to less production. They are reasonably effective and not the magic bullet for having a totally weed free lawn but they are effective.