PDA

View Full Version : GM 3500hd (#15000)gvw with monroe 4x4 conversion

Wing 97
01-21-2008, 06:32 PM
I just posted a similar question on plowsite. Has anyone had any experience with a GM 3500hd (#15000)gvw with the monroe 4x4 conversion? I am thinking about taking a look at one that is for sale and not sure if this was a successful conversion or if it was plagued with issues. Seems like there could be a problem with front end wear or if the automatic transmission could handle the job. I would appreciate any info good or bad.

Dstosh
01-21-2008, 08:20 PM
There is one on ebay. Looks pretty cool.

Gravel Rat
01-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think you should have any problems. The only thing to worry about is the front brakes. The Dana 60 is probably used some conversions used a Dana 70 made into a steering axle.

The automatic should be okay if it is a automatic the transfer case all depends on what was used.

Utility companies converted the 3500HD Chev/GMC and the Ford "F-Superduty" trucks into 4x4s because both trucks only came in 2wd as a 1.5 ton truck. When Ford started building F-450 and F-550 trucks in 99 as Factory 4x4s there was no need for conversions. With GM they didn't offer a 4x4 till the 4500-5500 came out I don't know the year.

If you need a 4x4 1.5 ton truck go for it, the biggest worry would be the 6.5 piece of junk under the hood to give you more problems.

Wing 97
01-22-2008, 09:59 AM
Thanks Gravel Rat, I would never consider it if it was the 6.5 diesel, it's the 7.4 gas. I know the mileage would suck, but its more a special purpose or back up truck not a every day maintenance trailer puller.

TLS
01-22-2008, 10:22 AM
That truck seems pretty nice. I always wanted one.

His "Buy-it-now" price seems a bit high though for a plow truck in the rust belt.

I'm thinking the $11K bid price its at now is about what its worth.....It IS a 10 year old truck afterall!

Wing 97
01-22-2008, 10:52 AM
His buy it now price is very high but wouldn't you ask alot just in case somebody was willing to pay for it? I don't think it's worth that much to me but to put into perspective the monroe conversion is at least a $9000 upfit when purchased new. The truck maybe from the rust belt but the pictures of the frame don't look like it. It's seems to be a nice compromise between a 3500(12000gvw) and a 4500(17500?), alot heavier duty than the newer 3500's and not as behemoth as the new 4500.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I found the Ebay listing.

It will be a bouncy truck being its a short wheel base. When they did those conversions they used the factory 2wd springs and used rear blocks in the back to level the truck out. Those old Chev 3500HDs used to use a reverse elliot front axle so when you use a Dana 70 like it says it has which I assumed it had before I even looked at the listing. That is the reason why the truck is so tall it is allot taller than a compareable F-450 F-550 4x4.

The price is a little high but if you had work for it I would say if that was 21,000 dollars CND it would be the max price.

With F-450 4x4s and F-550 4x4s available with V-10 power or 7.3 PSD for the same price.

I myself would rather have a longer wheelbase truck with a 11' dump. For one it rides smoother. It also carrys more bulky materials better. You can put sides on a short wheelbase but then your raising the center of gravity.

If you were big into plowing then the truck might be worth it but for a regular landscapers truck it is probably not so good.

Wing 97
01-22-2008, 03:39 PM
I guess you can't keep any secrets around here! I already have a 07 3500 duramax dumping flat bed which I love for pulling the lawn and bobcat trailers with but when I need to haul heavier material I am always overweight. I do snow removal also and was looking for a truck for back up. In the fall it is always very stressful when I am still doing fall clean-ups and the weather man says it "might" snow the next day so it would be nice to have another truck to have set up for snow removal without having to tare down the leaf truck. Once clean-ups were done I would still use the 3500 for plowing. I made contact with the owner and seems that the truck was used very little. If you notice there is no trailer hitch and the plow was just put on a couple of years ago. I do feel the buy it now price is a little ridicules and not what I am willing to pay but what would a new 4500 4x4 or f450 4x4 run with plow and dump? $45,000? Not exactly apples to apples but close.

Dstosh
01-22-2008, 04:09 PM
If your looking for extra capacity, why dont you get like a single axel international or ford or something. I dont think your going to be able to carry that much more going from a 3500 to a 3500hd, but you know your situation better than I do.

Wing 97
01-22-2008, 04:44 PM
I like the idea of having another truck that I can have as back up plow rig and my accounts consist of residential and commercial in which 4x4 is a necessity. If go with anything bigger than what I am looking at it just won't be practical. We always want more weight capacity, right now I just want to haul 3-4 yds of soil or stone and not be so grossly over weight.(lets not turn this into a "I can haul 10 ton in my 3500" threads)

Gravel Rat
01-22-2008, 07:01 PM
The truck with haul 3 yards legally or it should. Putting 4 yards would be pushing it. The truck should "legally" haul 6000-6500lbs but can carry 7500lbs.

That truck uses a Dana 80 rated at 11,000lbs it isn't the same Dana 80 used in the P/U trucks. It is the same used in the F-Superduty Fords except for the Chev uses different hubs and axle shafts.

As you probably already now the 454 will be a little thirsty you stomp on it she is gonna burn baby burn :laugh:

You will look at the fuel gauge the truck will have a full tank one stomp on it and hitting the passing gear you can watch the fuel needle drop :cry:

I had another look at the listing I don't think the truck has been a plow truck much. The frame isn't heavily rusted and the box is in good shape it almost looks new. You can tell if something has been sandblasted and repainted.

If you need a 1.5 ton truck go for it maybe down the road if you want to spend the money drop in a diesel. It could be a 12 valve Cummins.