PDA

View Full Version : diesel

Landrus2
01-21-2008, 08:12 PM
Will diesel hit four dollars soon ? :drinkup:

Fieldman12
01-21-2008, 08:23 PM
It is not looking too good for it. Man times have changed. I can remember back in 99 when I bought my new Dodge Cummins buying Diesel fuel for .80 cents a gallon. I can remember thinking that was cheap back then.

bobcat_ron
01-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Start burning off road fuel people!!

Fieldman12
01-21-2008, 10:45 PM
I do in all of the farm equipment but around here it's getting very risky to run it in a pickup or semi. I dont even chance that. It still is expensive even if there is no tax on it.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Oh quit complaining I'am paying 4.21 CND for a US gallon of fuel. Where Ronald plays he can find it cheaper like 3.66 a gallon. I heard on Leflevure I can't spell the name anyhow in Chillwack the diesel is cheap.

The days are gone that you can buy cheap fuel. The cheapest fuel is a 4 foot long 3/8s rubber hose with a 5 gallon can :laugh:

You guys south of the boarder get penalized harder for running marked fuel in your vehical than shooting somebody :confused:

janb
01-22-2008, 02:58 AM
..it's getting very risky to run it in a pickup or semi. ...

or car... ~ $1000 fine, and they 'dip tanks' frequently around here.

It even costs $1/gal now to 'brew-your-own' with 'free grease'

http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/appleseedprocessor/
Too bad USA Biodiesel is so crummy (soy) as compared to Euro who offers engine warranties on up to 100% BD (Brassiere / canola / mustard based). US is lucky to get warranties on B5 blends. Of course it doesn't help that the National Soybean Council owns the National Bio-diesel Board...:rolleyes: marketing...:hammerhead: at least they have a use for their excess oil product now ! (and fortunately we can buy Heated Raycor filters to save our Injection pumps)

Unfortunately, I expect to see $5.00 / gal in the next few years. That will make commercial BD more viable, and hopefully the algae feedstocks will be more prevalent, especially those algae beds being used to cleanup emissions for coal fired power plants. (or a 'barge-bed' I could design to float around the South Pacific:waving: I'm not a 'greeny', but there is definitely some room for improvement in the US, and it will likely start when our fuel cost gets on par with our own supplies. (or they start selling barrels of oil priced in euros :o )

ianh
01-22-2008, 03:46 AM
Here in the north of Australia we're already paying $US5/US Gallon ($AU1.56/litre) :cry:

bobcat_ron
01-22-2008, 10:21 AM
My Dad and I get our fuel in bulk, roughly $4000 to fill both tanks, one off road and the other what he calls "city" fuel, we both take turns burning the off road in our trucks, both tanks last us 5 months. I burn the off road stuff for every 3 tanks of the "city" crap I put through my Powerstroke, it seems the EGR doesn't like the "city" crap too much.

Dad's Mack truck will burn anything that lights up like a fart.

Gravel Rat
01-22-2008, 03:12 PM
The fuel suppliers in this area won't fill a tank with clear fuel only dyed fuel and now with dyed fuel the DOT has clamped on down the fuel suppliers they are keeping a eye on them. If the contractor they sell fuel too gets caught running marked fuel in their trucks the fuel supplier gets in trouble.

Now all the gravel trucks in the area either fill up at the card lock or at one of the local gas stations. It cost more for fuel so the hourly rate for gravel trucks keeps climbing. The gravel truck rate now is pushing 84 dollars per hour.

Also fuel storage on your property has become very strict even my parents industrial property one diesel spill can be big fines. Any fuel trucks that leak have to be removed from the property. Even the guys in the bush if they have a fuel spill they have to report it. I think its anything more than a couple litres has to be reported.

To have anymore than 500 imperial gallons stored on the property you need to have a double walled tank and a oil spill kit. Oh ya fuel supplier won't fill a single walled tank larger than 500 gallons.